Used gun prices

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Used gun prices

Post by Lsfan » 09 Jan 2022, 8:26 am

Why do some people try to sell used guns for more than new prices?
There's a marlin 17hmr on ssaa for $400, saying that buyer pays transfer fee. You can buy a new one for $399. Mind you the used gun is advertised as 3 star condition.
For my cz I paid under $700 with scope and I've seen them for $800 +.

Are people trying to take advantage, assuming buyers don't know the value? I don't understand.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Used gun prices

Post by Shootermick » 09 Jan 2022, 8:48 am

There’s definitely a lot of over priced items around at the moment. Guns are no different. I think people are trying to take advantage of the lack of or slow supply at the moment and playing on the people who think they need something right now, rather than wait.
One of the most over priced guns that I keep seeing coming up would be the Remington 7615, they’re going for heaps.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 Jan 2022, 9:17 am

Wattle Grove gunshop is classic for this lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 09 Jan 2022, 10:29 am

In the end something is only 'worth' what somebody is prepared to pay for it.
I suppose if somebody bought when the 7615's were being talked up as the best thing since sliced bread and paid the asking price then, and are now disillusioned having discovered what they are really like, it's understandable that they would be trying to get something like what they paid back.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by CRF » 09 Jan 2022, 10:36 am

Second hand sako prices are ridiculous, I bought a sako Bavarian brand new in 2012 for $2200, now new they're close to $3k, and second hand they want about the same. I've seen second hand tikka's for over $2k. Wasn't too long ago a new one was less than $1k.

I think the popularity of them in Aus has driven up the price, although I still own a sako they don't represent the quality of the price tag anymore.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 09 Jan 2022, 12:04 pm

It's a free country mate, you are free to offer them whatever price you think is reasonable. And tbh they are free to put any price they feel like.

Maybe the expect a bit of haggling
Maybe they realise there is no stock
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 09 Jan 2022, 4:05 pm

There's plenty of prices quoted in shops but how many have the rifle or can even get it. The second hand market represents an item in stock. In this new world that's worth a premium for virtually everything now. Good luck to them I say.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 09 Jan 2022, 4:05 pm

cz515 wrote:It's a free country mate, you are free to offer them whatever price you think is reasonable. And tbh they are free to put any price they feel like.

Of course everyone is free to put whatever price they want on it depends if they want it to sell or not.
The example I used is readily available in any store so there isn't a supply problem.
The other point is that the seller acknowledges the condition isn't great by putting 3 stars on it.
Even other stores have them for only $25 more with warranty and no risk.
I'm not talking about prices for rare and superseded items.
I just don't know what people are thinking. This is one example only.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Tilb004 » 09 Jan 2022, 9:47 pm

I just bought a second hand sako hunter blued 243 off oz gun sales .
Apparently has fired 18 rounds, has a 4-16 x 44 vortex viper scope and a brake delivered to WA for $2600.
I havent seen the rifle yet as it and my dealer but i thought that wasn't too bad a price .
Hope i'm not disappointed .
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles