T-bolt or CZ515

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

T-bolt or CZ515

Post by MontyShooter » 13 Jan 2022, 3:34 pm

Hi all,
I'm looking for a new gun and narrowed it down to a varmint t-bolt in 17 HMR or a cz515 in 22wmr. Just interested in a few different views. There's no specific use case for the rifle, other than to pick off a few rabbits and plink. I've picked these two as I already have plenty of turn bolt actions.
Are there any owners or opinions out there?
Cheers
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: T-bolt or CZ515

Post by Bugman » 13 Jan 2022, 4:13 pm

CZ's are great bit of kit. I use mainly a 17hmr and that is for shooting in the early am and late afternoon, providing there is little or no breeze. I thank 22wmr and hmr ammo is about the same price give or take a few bucks etc.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rossfrb » 13 Jan 2022, 9:49 pm

T-Bolt - a light rifle and a short LOP at 13.5 inches (for me anyway).
Crisp trigger but even wound down to its lightest setting too gosh darn heavy.
10 round 'helix' magazines work well and sit flush which is a plus.
rb
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 19 Jan 2022, 2:48 pm

Both very different rifles. I have a 515 in 22lr and find it to be a nice rifle but I prefer my bolt guns. If your looking at a 17hhmr in T bolt and a 515 in 22mag why not go a CZ457 and have the ability to have a 17hmr or 22mag just by switching the barrel out?
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 19 Jan 2022, 3:11 pm

I've owned and reviewed the CZ515 tactical (somewhere on here) and found it to be a lot of fun... And a lot better in quality than the A22R. However, I don't own it anymore. Partly because I wanted something that was more of a precision rifle and needed the money from the sale of the CZ, but also, partly for the fact that while the CZ was fun, it is still very plasticy. Plastic buttstock, plastic lower, just didn't give it a good feel of longevity (it probably is fine, but didn't fill me with confidence).

It was and is a helluva lot of fun, but for quality, the T bolt would be worth looking into. Very little if any plastic on that thing:) I won't recommend one over the other, just that they are both good in their own right.

Side note, the CZ515 American might be a good middle spot, as it has a decent wooden stock set. Only the plastic lower to contend with and easier to disassemble to clean than the Tac version.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 19 Jan 2022, 5:17 pm

Mattraff wrote:Both very different rifles. I have a 515 in 22lr and find it to be a nice rifle but I prefer my bolt guns. If your looking at a 17hhmr in T bolt and a 515 in 22mag why not go a CZ457 and have the ability to have a 17hmr or 22mag just by switching the barrel out?

Thanks. Interesting that you consider them very different rifles. I've got plenty of bolt guns so just looking for something different. I have the 17hmr covered in another rifle so it's not so much a purchase to cover a new calibre.
The t-bolt is proving difficult to track down so I'll likely grab the 515 I think.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 19 Jan 2022, 5:26 pm

InisBineest wrote:Side note, the CZ515 American might be a good middle spot, as it has a decent wooden stock set. Only the plastic lower to contend with and easier to disassemble to clean than the Tac version.

That's the one I'm looking at. The tactical version just looks wrong to me (and I'm a chassis guy).
Plastic doesn't bother me. Some of the KRG, AI and magpul stuff I own/owned are plastics of various types.

The new version of the 515 American seems a quality product. The lever is alot smaller and lighter and the the muzzle is threaded for the lucky few.

Comparing guns is as much fun as owning them for me. Next week it will be keep my BLR or sell and get the new Ruger made 1895sbl.
Cheers
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2022, 6:21 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Next week it will be keep my BLR or sell and get the new Ruger made 1895sbl.
Cheers

Next week? It could be a year of more before we see them make it down here :-)
They probably have somebody waiting to grab a few dozen as they come off the production line and send them down here before the distributors get them.
If there's still stock of 1895's on shelves will the distributor even release them immediately? I know with motorcycles the dealers were prevented from releasing the latest models while there was still stock of the previous model in showrooms.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 19 Jan 2022, 6:45 pm

June apparently. Get on the preorder and you'll have one.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles