Ammunition Freight

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ammunition Freight

Post by allan » 19 Jan 2022, 3:00 pm

I've just about exhausted all my 22LR ammunition supply. I realize that dangerous goods freight on "gun related" stuff became much harder as few months back.
I've spent much of to-day ringing around trying to find a courier who would deliver inter-state - Drawn a blank at every turn.
Anyone have any up-dates on this? Startrack/Auspost were supposed to be working on this since October but after talking to them to-day, they certainly aren't prepared to accept ammunition.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Re: Ammunition Freight

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2022, 3:50 pm

allan wrote:I've just about exhausted all my 22LR ammunition supply. I realize that dangerous goods freight on "gun related" stuff became much harder as few months back.
I've spent much of to-day ringing around trying to find a courier who would deliver inter-state - Drawn a blank at every turn.
Anyone have any up-dates on this? Startrack/Auspost were supposed to be working on this since October but after talking to them to-day, they certainly aren't prepared to accept ammunition.

Nobody in Australia is currently licenced to transport ammunition commercially since September 9th 2021.
You have to order it somewhere then make the trip yourself, so order heaps.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jan 2022, 3:52 pm

There'd have to be a driver somewhere even of ots an independent driver, explosives in bulk quantities are being trucked everywhere for mining purposes.

Firearms shops may also be able to help with contacts.

Definitely keep us updated with your progress,. :thumbsup:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2022, 3:52 pm

You may also find ammunition choices heavily limited due to lack of supply.
Where are you and what are you chasing?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2022, 3:56 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:There'd have to be a driver somewhere even of ots an independent driver, explosives in bulk quantities are being trucked everywhere for mining purposes.

Firearms shops may also be able to help with contacts.

Definitely keep us updated with your progress,. :thumbsup:

Explosives deliveries are not usually made to gun shops though :-)
All you need to transport ammo non-commercially is your firearm licence, so you can transport as much of your own ammo as you want, provided you're not receiving a consideration for it.

If you can do a deal with a group of mates to order several cases then split the cost of going to collect it it's not quite so bad.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Jan 2022, 8:43 pm

That's madness... how are the gun shops getting it then? I'm a little confused
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 19 Jan 2022, 11:14 pm

Yes my local gun shop is receiving a lot of ammo every week commercial quantities
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jan 2022, 5:40 am

on_one_wheel wrote:That's madness... how are the gun shops getting it then? I'm a little confused

You read my mind.

I think Startrak are delivering firearms & ammo, but only for business, not private individuals.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 20 Jan 2022, 6:07 am

I see this come up plenty of times. On one wheel. With basic supply and demand don't you think someone would have done it already?

An uber driver charges over $1/km, you add up the km from QLD to Melbourne and work out how much he will need to charge to cover someone's 5 boxes of ammo.

And if the trip is made once a week that's nearly 200,000km on his van.

The only reason, tnt/startrack can do so cheap is because they are transporting millions of parcels a day. On most country and remote areas they actually lose money for every parcel delivered.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jan 2022, 10:04 am

The Uber driver business would need a Dangerous Goods lic. The driver as well.

P.S. subject to quantities I think.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Jan 2022, 12:32 pm

cz515 wrote:I see this come up plenty of times. On one wheel. With basic supply and demand don't you think someone would have done it already?

An uber driver charges over $1/km, you add up the km from QLD to Melbourne and work out how much he will need to charge to cover someone's 5 boxes of ammo.

And if the trip is made once a week that's nearly 200,000km on his van.

The only reason, tnt/startrack can do so cheap is because they are transporting millions of parcels a day. On most country and remote areas they actually lose money for every parcel delivered.

Yes I get all that, I'd never suggest having someone make the trip just for a box of ammo, but surely a licensed driver is doing a trip would throw it on... its just a matter of finding the right truckie, he or she is out there somewhere
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cz515 » 20 Jan 2022, 3:42 pm

Sorry a clarification, the ATO rate per km is 72c so they deem that's the minimum cost (excluding wages) and uber rate is closer to $1.6/km

OTW, I am not being a smart arse. Just trying to help you and others.

DG license/insurance per say is not expensive. But license to carry explosives and insurance for it definately is. The insurance alone would kill it

Also interstate trucks usually run depo to depo, and most of the trucks won't be able to pickup from inner suburban shops...or deliver to random suburban houses. So now you need local courier.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jan 2022, 4:33 pm

NFI what the cost of the DG lic would be.
However there are also physical requirements and administrative requirements you need to do. They also cost.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 20 Jan 2022, 5:56 pm

Yep. But there is a DG license then there is an explosives license (class 1 explosives license for transportation) lolz

I remember a couple of months ago I ordered some chemical, and thankfully it was not my mistake but the supplier got it wrong, instead of the normal type it was DG. Well that was fun, no I cannot drop it back to them as it's DG, no one is allowed to transport DG on the road unless you have a license. the warehouse won't accept it, no I cannot send it back by the same courier that would drop my new shipment as they are not licensed to carry DG and so on it went.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Jan 2022, 6:59 pm

But there is a DG license then there is an "explosives license" (class 1 explosives license for transportation) lolz

That's when the fun starts.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jan 2022, 7:05 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:That's madness... how are the gun shops getting it then? I'm a little confused

My guy collected it himself.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jan 2022, 7:06 pm

deye243 wrote:Yes my local gun shop is receiving a lot of ammo every week commercial quantities

But delivered by a courier or by a rep or the shop owner?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jan 2022, 7:15 pm

Oldbloke wrote:NFI what the cost of the DG lic would be.
However there are also physical requirements and administrative requirements you need to do. They also cost.

DG from Rebels in Brisbane to country Victoria was a flat $60 with TNT, including the actual freight cost.
I ordered several times, anything from 14kg of ammo to 30kg, always $60 _total_ charge. One order included 10kg of lead BB's at no additional freight charge.
Initially they were happy to deliver to my local TNT depot where I collected it, then TNT decided it had to go to a dealer, where I again collected it.
It worked wonderfully. Ammo my dealer couldn't get me I was able to order from Brisbane far, far cheaper than driving up to Melbourne to collect it, as I've had to do since September. It's a minimum five-hour round trip when I collect ammo from up in the 'burbs so I make sure to order heaps!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jan 2022, 7:21 pm

cz515 wrote:Also interstate trucks usually run depo to depo, and most of the trucks won't be able to pickup from inner suburban shops...or deliver to random suburban houses. So now you need local courier.

TNT would only hold ammo at their depot or deliver to a dealer, not to individuals. Their documentation required a "shopfront open during business hours", but in reality they wanted a dealer. Possibly way outback they'd deliver to the general store or local tractor mechanic I guess. As far as I'm aware TNT was the only commercial transport company licenced to transport ammunition within Oz commercially. Reps can deliver their company's ammo of course, and dealers can go and collect it themselves. My dealer would regularly go up to Melbourne (generally before opening the shop at 0900) to collect ammo, powders and primers.
All gone now of course.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles