First gun you ever fired

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: First gun you ever fired

Post by pomemax » 11 Feb 2022, 10:20 am

Back in 1962 Mum s brother had a air pistol and i can remember with him shooting at a dart board in the back yard shooting like little darts I think it was .177 cal but I was only 6 so dont hold me to that.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 11 Feb 2022, 10:37 am

bladeracer wrote:
I did see an article a while back that the UK wants to bring back a modernised L1A1 with rails, but I don't know if it was genuine or somebody's fantasy :-)

I found it!
https://veteranweb.asn.au/news/the-slr- ... tish-army/

I don't think that's a reputable news source, I get all sorts of parody news site vibes from that page!

Also I just don't see any army going to 7.62 again when the next gen options of 6.8 in composite ammo or telescoping rounds offer similar range and stopping power at a much lighter weight per cartridge.

If I had to bet I'd say once the Americans choose their NGSW winner the Brits may very well adopt the same cartridge and then other NATO countries may follow or they will stick with 5.56 for a while.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2022, 11:16 am

Don_Stevenson wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
I did see an article a while back that the UK wants to bring back a modernised L1A1 with rails, but I don't know if it was genuine or somebody's fantasy :-)

I found it!
https://veteranweb.asn.au/news/the-slr- ... tish-army/

I don't think that's a reputable news source, I get all sorts of parody news site vibes from that page!

Also I just don't see any army going to 7.62 again when the next gen options of 6.8 in composite ammo or telescoping rounds offer similar range and stopping power at a much lighter weight per cartridge.

If I had to bet I'd say once the Americans choose their NGSW winner the Brits may very well adopt the same cartridge and then other NATO countries may follow or they will stick with 5.56 for a while.

I agree with you, I can't see it happening, although I could see it with certain small units that might have a niche to fill, as the US does still with the old M14 Rifles.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Don_Stevenson » 11 Feb 2022, 11:53 am

The British already have a designated marksman rifle in 7.62 the L129A1. I can't remember where I saw it but I'm sure I've seen discussion of people trying to accurize the FAL for similar purposes but not having much success.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2022, 1:59 pm

Don_Stevenson wrote:The British already have a designated marksman rifle in 7.62 the L129A1. I can't remember where I saw it but I'm sure I've seen discussion of people trying to accurize the FAL for similar purposes but not having much success.

Yeah, I don't think it's a good platform for precision unfortunately.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 11 Feb 2022, 4:25 pm

1968 Voere .22lr
Uncle
12yrs old
First shot it at Belmont Rifle Range when the road was gravel.
I own the rifle now and every time I shoot it, the smell of the fired cases takes me back through time.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Elmer » 14 Feb 2022, 7:24 pm

First gun was a Telly. 177 break barrel, ultimate spogy slayer for a 13yr old.
Next a Sportco .22lr, then a New Remington 581 .22lr, then a Boito single shot 12g and up to 18 a Krico 352d .22 WMR.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 14 Feb 2022, 11:05 pm

bee bee guns were first but the first one was a bolt action 410 my father had when i was 7 in 1973 he gave the gun to a uncle and it was stolen
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Blr243 » 16 Feb 2022, 8:22 pm

Might have been a daisy B.B. gun , then a gamo 177 barrel cranker. Then a semi auto gevarm 22. Then either a win 3030 or a smle ....long time ago
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by shane2604 » 23 Feb 2022, 10:30 pm

Back in 1974 I was 13 on my Uncles Farm, I remember him telling me to make sure sure the stock was nice and firm into my shoulder and to squeeze the trigger. Been hooked on shooting ever since.
shane2604
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Florey55 » 29 Apr 2022, 9:49 am

What was the first gun that you ever fired ? FN FAL 7.62 NATO
Who let you have a shot ? South African Army
How old were you ? 17
Florey55
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 29 Apr 2022, 6:44 pm

6mm Remington wrote:What was the first gun that you ever fired ?
Who let you have a shot ?
How old were you ?

Lithgow No 1, when I was about 8 years old, by my grandfather, got given to me for my tenth birthday after years of fawning for it.

Use to buy ammo after school from the produce store (on account) while waiting for the school bus.

Sold it when I was maybe 17, as it was old fashioned.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Apr 2022, 7:37 pm

Fionn wrote:
6mm Remington wrote:What was the first gun that you ever fired ?
Who let you have a shot ?
How old were you ?

Lithgow No 1, when I was about 8 years old, by my grandfather, got given to me for my tenth birthday after years of fawning for it.

Use to buy ammo after school from the produce store (on account) while waiting for the school bus.

Sold it when I was maybe 17, as it was old fashioned.

Do you mean the Model 1 single-shot .22LR? Nice reminder to pull my Model 1B out tomorrow for some silhouette practice.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 29 Apr 2022, 8:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:Do you mean the Model 1 single-shot .22LR? Nice reminder to pull my Model 1B out tomorrow for some silhouette practice.

Yes, the single shot 22lr.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by G-Swiss » 01 May 2022, 2:12 am

Brno model 1 .22 on a mates family farm, aged 19. Bunnies got cooked, I got hooked.
G-Swiss
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by NTSOG » 03 May 2022, 6:30 am

G'day,

First firearm I fired was a Gecado 16 air rifle - if you can call an air rifle a firearm. As for real firearms I think it was either a Bren gun or an SMLE .303 at Puckapunyal when a 16 year old cadet on camp. I can't remember which I fired first at the range.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 07 May 2022, 8:24 pm

Gekado .177 air rifle. Aged 12. Then a Model 2 Lithgow. A .303 next at aged 16.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 28 May 2022, 9:21 pm

My grandads old slazenger 22Lr single shot when I was 5 I think, this was back in the 70's. At 6 my uncle let me shoot his model 94 30-30 and I also had one shot of a rem 12ga pump . I remember shooting a paint tin he had set up and I was amazed at all the holes in it. I asked him if it was a 'machine gun'. :)
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by safeshot » 11 Jul 2022, 10:01 pm

An early model Lithgow of my older brothers. He took me away shooting over one Easter time. I was about 10.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by geoff » 11 Jul 2022, 10:06 pm

My first was either a single shot 177 air rifle of some unknown brand, or a Winchester 9422

The winny cemented my love for lever guns
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by T3X@N » 12 Sep 2022, 7:38 pm

Cap gun ;) Then a bb gun. I think after that I fired an M16 in Vietnam while on holidays.
T3X@N
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Billo » 12 Sep 2022, 8:39 pm

Lithgow 22lr 10 shot mag, I can still smell the powder after my brother shoved it into my hands, must been 9 I reckon :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by S O K A R » 13 Sep 2022, 11:39 am

12 gauge shotgun with a #2 shot when I was about 12 years old
Left my shoulder feeling pretty average
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by daphatmac » 13 Sep 2022, 11:53 am

My old man used to belong to the local rifle club in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe and I got to shoot his Rhodesian Army era FN FAL one weekend - it was a scary experience then as a youngster, but I'd do it again in a second now!
Last edited by daphatmac on 15 Sep 2022, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
daphatmac
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 13 Sep 2022, 12:46 pm

Double barrel 12g, no idea what breed.

I was 11 or 12 and pestering a friend of the family to have a go.

He "kindly" told me it was an old fashioned gun that required you to pull both triggers at once.

Sat me on my bum, left me feeling like I'd been mule kicked, with a grin that lasted for days and an addiction for life.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by andaloodaya » 13 Sep 2022, 4:22 pm

Daisy BB gun in the backyard when I was 10, then a South African R1 (FN-FAL) at an army range on a school holiday camp when I was 15. Bit different from the BB.
andaloodaya
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by N.Field » 17 Sep 2022, 12:10 pm

A single shot .22 JGA that my father bought for my older brother and me when I was about 10 or 11. It was well used when we got it but was deadly accurate, I wish we still had it.

It was very similar to this:

N.Field
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by safeshot » 26 Sep 2022, 7:50 pm

an ancient Lithgow. Open sights. I was 10?
was my brothers.
I had been invited to go to a farm property for Easter. It took dad to shut mum up about me going.
I have my own Lithgow now a 101...love it.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Latitude37 » 24 Nov 2022, 5:21 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:.177 break action air rifle, as kids we had free range with that thing, would've been 8 years old at a guess, it was the coolest thing ever, we'd plink until there were no slugs left than start jamming anything down the barrel that fitted like tiny gum nuts, seeds, sticks and even a worm once.

My big brother once shot me with his, loaded with a cotton bud! Hit me in the thigh and it stung like hell. Also the first thing I ever shot. Then a .22 semi auto that he had - but it was a thumbhole stock and I'm a lefty, so it was horrible ergos for me.

The guns that my big brothers had that I never got a chance to shoot: a sporterised Lee Enfield, a Marlin 30-30, and the gun I most wanted to have a go with was the Enfield percussion carbine (two band). My two oldest brothers were both in the re-enactment scene back when.
Latitude37
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Lukey » 08 Dec 2022, 9:09 pm

I almost feel bad posting this but surprisingly the first gun i ever fired was in 2021 at age 30, A Lithgow LA101 22lr at the SSAA Springvale range.

I wanted to get into the sport earlier when i was 17-18 but just never did for one reason or another, When covid hit just said "Screw it" and got my license over the lockdowns.
"Truth is... the game was rigged from the start.”

Ruger American Predator (MDT LSS Chassis) .223
Tikka T3x Lite .223
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22LR
Chiappa Little Badger .22LR
Bushmeister BA-X12 12G 20" Barrel
Lukey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles