First gun you ever fired

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

First gun you ever fired

Post by 6mm Remington » 08 Feb 2022, 5:58 pm

What was the first gun that you ever fired ?
Who let you have a shot ?
How old were you ?

My old man sent me away with a couple of his Navy mates for the weekend when I was 8 years old.
They gave me a shot of a Winchester 9422M
That was back in 1975.
6mm Remington
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: First gun you ever fired

Post by noneyabussiness » 08 Feb 2022, 6:13 pm

first time I was about 12-13 and it was a 12g... almost scared me off em honestly...
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Feb 2022, 6:43 pm

Stirling semi auto. 22lr

I guess 1973. Bought it in CBD of Melbourne. Can't remember the name of the gun shop in a small lane. But I got my first parking fine when I bought it. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 08 Feb 2022, 7:05 pm

A Lee Enfield 303
A mate gave me a shot
Might have been 16

We were in a remote Blue Mountains location. The rifle fired. A sizeable branch fell from a tree. I tried desperately to recover from the recoil and claim it as aimed for but the jeers of he and his mates beat me to it.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 08 Feb 2022, 7:06 pm

6mm Remington wrote:What was the first gun that you ever fired ?
Who let you have a shot ?
How old were you ?

My old man sent me away with a couple of his Navy mates for the weekend when I was 8 years old.
They gave me a shot of a Winchester 9422M
That was back in 1975.

Hope that wasn't traumatic!
I think I would have been around the same age using an air rifle in the backyard under supervision of my dad. It was a pump type and shot bb's. That was my first experience. It's taken 35 years to make my own enquiries and get into the sport!
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Feb 2022, 7:07 pm

.177 break action air rifle, as kids we had free range with that thing, would've been 8 years old at a guess, it was the coolest thing ever, we'd plink until there were no slugs left than start jamming anything down the barrel that fitted like tiny gum nuts, seeds, sticks and even a worm once.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2022, 7:09 pm

Gallery rifles at fairs and rodeos in Tennant Creek in the early seventies at about seven years of age (we left TC just after I turned 8). I can't recall if they would've been air-rifles or gallery rifles though. Then I got my own licence and air rifle when I moved to Perth at 13. Then we were shooting .22LR competition in Army Cadets, possibly the same year. We also got to shoot the M16 with the Army, and did some clay shooting but I was probably nearly 15 then.

I can't recall ever being around any firearms as a kid except when navy ships came into port and we went aboard, where I spent the whole time fondling the various smallarms chained to the deck. First handgun I fired was some kind of blackpowder revolver at a pistol club I visited when I was seventeen, at Strathalbyn I think.

My first true firearm was a 10/22, first centrefire was the 788 in .222, both at 17. First gun was the 8-shot 12ga Bentley 20" pump-gun with rifle sights, also at 17. First handgun I owned was a CZ85 clone in 9mm when I was 23.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 08 Feb 2022, 7:11 pm

Gevarm A6 semi auto in 1971 with my uncle.
And when we got home I was given a lithgow 1B single shot it just wasn't the same .
But as a kid on the farm it accounted for a lot of rabbits and a few foxes.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Feb 2022, 7:12 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:.177 break action air rifle, as kids we had free range with that thing, would've been 8 years old at a guess, it was the coolest thing ever, we'd plink until there were no slugs left than start jamming anything down the barrel that fitted like tiny gum nuts, seeds, sticks and even a worm once.

When I ran out of ammo I cut strips of paper and rolled them up until they fitted nicely. Also cut up rubber o-rings worked well.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 08 Feb 2022, 7:25 pm

About 1978, when I was 8 years old I got a break action .177 air rifle. I still have it today.

It came with a spare spring. I still have that too. Might need it in another decade or so, you never know.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 08 Feb 2022, 8:35 pm

At age 12 it was a Lithgow single shot .22 with manual cocking but even then what I really wanted was a flintlock rifle, a Bowie knife and a tomahawk. I’ve made up for it and living the dream now lol
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Biscuits » 09 Feb 2022, 12:25 am

Might have been in Vietnam.

Haha, I'm not that old. I just went there on holiday a way back and rented an AK47.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Feb 2022, 1:36 am

Colt Woodsman 22RF pistol, followed by a 22RF Springfield Model 84 the same afternoon, Step-Fathers when he was home from sea we used to go to a bush block he owned. I must have been about 8 or so, so mid-1960's. I still have that Springfield but it doesn't fire anymore, need another bolt for it to scavenge internals.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bravs » 09 Feb 2022, 2:34 am

My first gun was a S&W 357 magnum at a Pistol Club where my old man was President at time. I was about 15yrs old, this was early 90's.
Bravs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 09 Feb 2022, 6:31 am

Noisydad wrote:At age 12 it was a Lithgow single shot .22 with manual cocking but even then what I really wanted was a flintlock rifle, a Bowie knife and a tomahawk. I’ve made up for it and living the dream now lol

My first was a Lithgow No. 1, it was Grandpa's rifle that Dad inherited and used on the farm. He was never much into firearms as anything more than simple tools, but when he gave me a shot I loved it. Many years later, I still have that rifle, and now a few more:)
It still shoots better than most in my safe!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 09 Feb 2022, 9:21 am

I think it was a break action 177 air rifle when I was 4 or 5
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Don_Stevenson » 09 Feb 2022, 9:50 am

Break Action BSA .177 air rifle on the family farm where my uncles still live when I was 7, then 22lr when I was 8. I used to stay at the farm for a week every holidays from 9 to about 13 and we were allowed to use the air rifle and the motor bikes without adult supervision. Good times.

Later on, M16 at cadets then Steyr, Minimi, 40mm grenade launcher and 66mm rockets in the Army, also good times
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by 6mm Remington » 09 Feb 2022, 6:21 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Colt Woodsman 22RF pistol, followed by a 22RF Springfield Model 84 the same afternoon, Step-Fathers when he was home from sea we used to go to a bush block he owned. I must have been about 8 or so, so mid-1960's. I still have that Springfield but it doesn't fire anymore, need another bolt for it to scavenge internals.

Both of those are excellent firearms as you would know. I have a Springfield model 84.
It was given to me by an old mate. Was made in 1938 and brought to Australia by a WW2 pilot.
Has a threaded barrel and I am told that the pilot had a Maxim suppressor for it .
There is a vintage aviary display in the QLD museum. I believe that those birds were taken with that rifle.

Try Rebel Gun Works for the parts you need for it.
I bought a brand new magazine from them for mine.
6mm Remington
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 10 Feb 2022, 2:39 am

Probably a Diana .22 break barrel air rifle shooting cans. I was about 5 years old and my Dad had bought a farm in the WA wheatbelt a couple of years earlier. The first firearm used to take an animal was a Remington model 41 (?) single shot .22LR rifle with iron sights when I was about 11 years..
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by cz515 » 10 Feb 2022, 7:27 am

The first rifle I owned was a Diana .22 air rifle. A gutless piece of crap.

I think the first anything I shot was my dad's sxs shot gun. The first rifle/centerfire was an old 303 I had for 2 weeks military/reserve training. I grew up with firearms including rifle, pistol and revolver
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Feb 2022, 9:58 am

22lr of coarse . my first rifle i bought was a m38 husky in 6.5x55 . bought in '95 from Amart for $68 . i could outshoot a mates scoped stirling 22 mag with the open sights on the swede back then :roll:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by northdude » 10 Feb 2022, 10:59 am

My dads bsa sportsman 15 about 40 years ago
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2022, 1:37 pm

bigrich wrote:22lr of coarse . my first rifle i bought was a m38 husky in 6.5x55 . bought in '95 from Amart for $68 . i could outshoot a mates scoped stirling 22 mag with the open sights on the swede back then :roll:

I had a scoped Stirling Model 1500 and it never impressed me with accuracy :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Border_Bloke » 10 Feb 2022, 1:40 pm

A CBC 410 single barreled shotgun.
I was 10 years old (mid 1970's).
My dad bought for snakes when we moved onto the farm (south Gippsland VIC).

I killed lots of Indian Myna birds and a few rabbits and snakes with it. I used to walk over the paddock to the local clay target club on the next farm with it for years.

We bought a Stirling Model 20 semi auto soon after for rabbits soon after.
By the time I was 14 years old I'd used all of the above plus various 12 gauge shotguns and an 308 target rifle.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 10 Feb 2022, 2:27 pm

A Gecado .177 air rifle when I was 10, closely followed by a Lithgow .22 single shot.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Robin » 10 Feb 2022, 5:17 pm

SLR I think 7.62mm , When I was in Army Cadets back in 1992, my first shot scared the s**t out of me, but after a few rounds, I was hooked.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2022, 5:37 pm

Robin wrote:SLR I think 7.62mm , When I was in Army Cadets back in 1992, my first shot scared the s**t out of me, but after a few rounds, I was hooked.

An SLR in the nineties? That seems odd, though I guess they still had some around. I wish they still had them in WA in the eighties. In '81 to '83 in Cadets we drilled with deactivated Vietnam-era L1A1's, but when we went to Northam we fired the M16 with the Army - 20rds semi-auto on paper. At the end of the shoot one of the instructors did a full-auto mag dump to impress us :-)

I did see an article a while back that the UK wants to bring back a modernised L1A1 with rails, but I don't know if it was genuine or somebody's fantasy :-)

I found it!
https://veteranweb.asn.au/news/the-slr- ... tish-army/
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Robin » 10 Feb 2022, 10:47 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Robin wrote:SLR I think 7.62mm , When I was in Army Cadets back in 1992, my first shot scared the s**t out of me, but after a few rounds, I was hooked.

An SLR in the nineties? That seems odd, though I guess they still had some around. I wish they still had them in WA in the eighties. In '81 to '83 in Cadets we drilled with deactivated Vietnam-era L1A1's, but when we went to Northam we fired the M16 with the Army - 20rds semi-auto on paper. At the end of the shoot one of the instructors did a full-auto mag dump to impress us :-)

I did see an article a while back that the UK wants to bring back a modernised L1A1 with rails, but I don't know if it was genuine or somebody's fantasy :-)

I found it!

I think they gave all the old stock to the Cadets in the 90s, don't know what they use today.
Robin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 11 Feb 2022, 8:22 am

Robin wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

I found it!

I think they gave all the old stock to the Cadets in the 90s, don't know what they use today.

I got out too early then, that would've been awesome!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by noneyabussiness » 11 Feb 2022, 8:24 am

I was 13-14 and it was a 12g, can't remember the load but in my mind it was a slug ... almost scared me off em for life ... thankfully it didnt...
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles