Do you like wood or synthetic stocks?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Do you like wood or synthetic stocks?

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2022, 5:51 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:If you want a stable material go with polymer or aluminium, if you want the look and feel of wood go with wood. Laminated, or plywood, is somewhere in between.

I've read that some synthetic stocks can flex a bit, particularly at the fore end. Is it possible or desirable to perform a bedding job on a synthetic stock to get the barrelled action sitting better inside?

Definitely an issue, especially if you add the leverage of a bipod.
The usual fix is to fill the cavities with some sort of filler.

I don't know about other stocks but the Rugers have two steel V-blocks that the receiver is screwed to so they're already well bedded.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 16 Mar 2022, 10:41 am

bladeracer wrote:I don't know about other stocks but the Rugers have two steel V-blocks that the receiver is screwed to so they're already well bedded.

Ah yes, their patented Power Bedding system. As for CZ stocks (either wood or synthetic), I have no idea how well bedded they are out of the box, if at all.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 29 Mar 2022, 6:36 am

I like synthetic or metal rifles.

Unless they are historic battle rilfles ;)
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 29 Mar 2022, 12:35 pm

Biscuits wrote:I like synthetic or metal rifles.

Metal rifles as in ones dropped into a chassis stock, or am I thinking too narrowly here?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 29 Mar 2022, 12:57 pm

jwai86 wrote:
Biscuits wrote:I like synthetic or metal rifles.

Metal rifles as in ones dropped into a chassis stock, or am I thinking too narrowly here?

Chassis are what most of our aluminium rifles would be, but there are rifles that are all metal, like AR's, AK's and a bunch of hunting rifles as well.
Chassis rifles tend to be a complete "rifle" that you drop into the separate chassis, just as you could choose to drop it into a conventional timber or poly stock, or bolt it to a planet and use it for Benchrest.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 14 Oct 2022, 10:27 am

Going back to the topic of wooden stocks, second hand rifles don't always have stocks that are in mint condition. How much cosmetic damage would you personally tolerate when considering a purchase?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 14 Oct 2022, 11:17 am

My first La101 was synthetic and I found it too flexible, as Bladeracer says, most particularly with a bipod.

My new one has a beautiful tiger stripey Walnut stock that is far superior, but I'm outraged at every little mark on it.

I replaced the very nice Walnut on my Howa with a billet chassis, it weighs a lot more but the improvement in accuracy was worth the weight increase.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Oct 2022, 11:31 am

It depends on price and your intended use. If it's going to be a knock about rifle for bush work and general hunting, so long as it's purely cosmetic, who cares. You can always refinish a timber stock if you're worried about sealing it up.
Cracked stocks, especially through the wrist are a problem, they can be fixed but you have to ask if it's worth it.
Mind you, if someone's selling a $2000 rifle that is priced at $1000 because it has a few dents or scratches in the woodwork, buy it.
If it's a collectable, different story.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2022, 12:41 pm

jwai86 wrote:Going back to the topic of wooden stocks, second hand rifles don't always have stocks that are in mint condition. How much cosmetic damage would you personally tolerate when considering a purchase?

I doubt cosmetic damage would concern me at all, just means I'm going to be less upset when I start adding my own dings, dents and scratches to it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 14 Oct 2022, 9:21 pm

I really love the look of a timber stock over synthetic but I suppose it depends what your objective is. If I was a collector, I doubt I'd have any synthetic. I don't hunt but if I did I would go for synthetic.
I have a couple of each and I'm particularly careful with the timber stocks. They are like a fine piece of furniture to me.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 15 Oct 2022, 10:34 pm

Lsfan wrote:I really love the look of a timber stock over synthetic but I suppose it depends what your objective is. If I was a collector, I doubt I'd have any synthetic. I don't hunt but if I did I would go for synthetic.
I have a couple of each and I'm particularly careful with the timber stocks. They are like a fine piece of furniture to me.

Yes I absolutely love a good hot blued action and barrel in a very nice piece of walnut but everything has a use .
if it's just for hunting that's the way I would go if it's for long range it is synthetic or aluminium all the way.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 15 Oct 2022, 10:48 pm

I mean who would not love this I bloody do.
And I shoot stuff like this mostly .
Screenshot_20221015-233848_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20221015-233848_Google.jpg (512.45 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

Screenshot_20221015-233930_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221015-233930_Chrome.jpg (622.91 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

Screenshot_20221015-233924_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221015-233924_Chrome.jpg (710.79 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

Screenshot_20221015-233918_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221015-233918_Chrome.jpg (706.6 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

Screenshot_20221015-233908_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20221015-233908_Chrome.jpg (653.09 KiB) Viewed 2071 times

Screenshot_20221015-233848_Google.jpg (512.45 KiB) Viewed 2071 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 16 Oct 2022, 7:38 pm

Yes that's a beautiful looking gun.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 16 Oct 2022, 7:44 pm

deye243 wrote:I mean who would not love this I bloody do.
And I shoot stuff like this mostly .

Screenshot_20221015-233930_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221015-233924_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221015-233918_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20221015-233908_Chrome.jpg

Wesley Richards make beautiful works of art.

Please share pics of yours
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Oct 2022, 10:54 pm

Yep, I was thinking the same thing. Show us pictures of yours not an ad you found.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 21 Oct 2022, 8:40 pm

I didn't bother reading all the thread. Synthetic stocks have their place. I have a 9.3x62 in a synthetic stock. If I'm going to carry this thing all day and maybe fire one shot at 50m, then weight is not an issue. Accuracy is not an issue. Scratches and dings and dirt and other ka ka, not an issue. My 204R, was a 223 in a synthetic stock. Accuracy was an issue. So, I got a Timney trigger, a nice walnut stock, bedded, Swann barrel. Now accuracy not an issue. I don't carry it through the bush all day, no dings, scratches or weight issues. I might even change the finish on it one day, because I can. I might do some checkering on it, when I get brave enough. My 6.5 Grendel was a synthetic stock. Now its in B & C stock. Still synthetic but not much weight change and more accurate. Etc etc etc. Synthetic stock are getting better. They had to. Everybody wanted them, but they had their issues.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harronek » 22 Oct 2022, 1:09 pm

I own a few Wooden Stocked Rifles and really love and appreciate the feel and look of them .
I really dislike the Plastic / Synthetic Stocks most manufacturers use these days .
Buttttt………..My two most used Hunting Rifles have Carbon Fibre Stocks ( soon to be three when my new one arrives any day now ) and I love them for their weight , looks , toughness and stability.
Carbon Fibre has converted me and is the “ Future “
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 22 Oct 2022, 2:14 pm

Harronek wrote:I own a few Wooden Stocked Rifles and really love and appreciate the feel and look of them .
I really dislike the Plastic / Synthetic Stocks most manufacturers use these days .
Buttttt………..My two most used Hunting Rifles have Carbon Fibre Stocks ( soon to be three when my new one arrives any day now ) and I love them for their weight , looks , toughness and stability.
Carbon Fibre has converted me and is the “ Future “

Are the CF stocks any lighter than the plastic ones? Bit more rigid in the forend perhaps.
The polymer stocks on my Ruger Americans are 650gm with butt pad, swivels and the steel bedding blocks.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harronek » 22 Oct 2022, 2:46 pm

They are certainly lighter than the original Factory Stocks ( Tikka and Howa ) , the big difference is in their rigidity and looks .
It may not be everyones cup of tea , but I love the look of Carbon Stocks .

Tikka 6.5x55

Howa .223
A designer knows they have achieved perfection , not when there is nothing left to add , but when there is nothing left to take away .
Harronek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by safeshot » 22 Oct 2022, 6:19 pm

Head says synthetic but heart says wood. All mine are wood.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by jwai86 » 22 Oct 2022, 6:22 pm

Harronek wrote:They are certainly lighter than the original Factory Stocks ( Tikka and Howa ) , the big difference is in their rigidity and looks .
It may not be everyones cup of tea , but I love the look of Carbon Stocks .

How expensive were they?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by allan » 22 Oct 2022, 6:32 pm

Here's another alternative using micarta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKJyHxfW670

I have one of these Foundation stocks coming over from the US on my latest rim fire build:

I'm pretty fond of a nicely figured wood stock though:
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles