Does anyone know what this CZ accessory does?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Does anyone know what this CZ accessory does?

Post by jwai86 » 15 Mar 2022, 12:30 am

I came across this CZ branded accessory called a reduction while looking at parts and accessories for CZ rimfire rifles,

https://eshop.czub.cz/en/malorazky/cz-4 ... ction.html

As far as I can tell, it attaches to the receiver dovetail, but I have no idea what it's meant to do.
Last edited by jwai86 on 15 Mar 2022, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Does anyone know what this CZ 457 accessory does?

Post by Bravs » 15 Mar 2022, 1:20 am

Looks to me it reduces the dovetail size from 11mm to 3/8?
Bravs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 15 Mar 2022, 6:08 am

Bravs wrote:Looks to me it reduces the dovetail size from 11mm to 3/8?

It certainly adapts one dovetail size to another but more likely the older Brno 14mm to US 3/8 or vice versa.
The method to obtain a true measurement of a dovetail is and remains a mystery to many.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Mar 2022, 7:16 am

jwai86 wrote:I came across this CZ branded accessory called a reduction while looking at parts and accessories for CZ rimfire rifles,

https://eshop.czub.cz/en/malorazky/cz-4 ... ction.html

As far as I can tell, it attaches to the receiver dovetail, but I have no idea what it's meant to do.

Plenty of information right there in the listing :-)

I'm guessing it's just an adaptor to more-easily mount US 3/8" rings on the wider Euro dovetails.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Does anyone know what this CZ accessory does?

Post by Wyliecoyote » 16 Mar 2022, 8:14 am

Dovetails are measured at the point. A female, or ring mount will be called 3/8" in American terms and usually has a radius as the dovetail on the reciever is not flat on top. In Euro they say 11mm but that is the male on the reciever of a 22. Euro uses 60 degree dovetails, yanks use 45 degrees. Euro dovetails on the reciever are flat on top. Usually. Both will intermix but neither is correct on the other.
Davidson also use 45 degree but measure 5/16" using a far deeper dovetail for more purchase. Usually only seen on benchrest actions like early Stolle or Nesika etc.
All you have to remember is yank rifle = 3/8". Euro rifle = 11mm unless it's a CZ that could be anything from 3/8", 11mm, 16, 17 to 18mm on the reciever but are always 60 degree.
Wyliecoyote
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles