Replacement barrel for Gamo CFX?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Replacement barrel for Gamo CFX?

Post by elnino » 16 Mar 2022, 8:24 am

Hi all, I have a Gamo CFX in .22 and at some stage, it appears that i have bent the barrel somehow (or it was already bent when purchasing). It appears as severe barrel droop. I put a scope on it when I got it but I could not zero it. Assuming my scope went bad, i bought another one but it was the same. In the end I had to purchase an adjustable MOA mount for it to even sight in at 20m. The rear of the scope mount is ~4mm higher than the front!

This means the rifle is almost useless other than at the sighted in distance since the paths are so far from parallel.

The barrel appears straight but Looking down the action/breach, the barrel appears to be visibly bent down. Those that know the rifle will know it's a fixed barrel type so it's not traditional break action droop. This one also has a gas ram and not a traditional spring. I purchased it second hand with standard sights. Possibly it was bent before I even got it but just didn't notice it.

It still has plenty of punch and FPS is as expected so i am 99% sure it's bent and it's not just a seal issue causing low power, thus the low impact point. It still happily takes down feral pigeons with ease at 20m.

Assuming the issue is the barrel itself and the breech section is not bent:
Do I try to bend it back perhaps?
Do i Just replace the barrel?
if so - Where can I get something compatible or original that is economical? (M10x1 thread I'm led to believe)
Live with it? (I have for a few years but OCD tendencies are taking over - I know it's not right)

I've googled around but I can't seem to find anyone in Australia that sells Gamo parts.
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Replacement barrel for Gamo CFX?

Post by bladeracer » 16 Mar 2022, 10:30 am

elnino wrote:Hi all, I have a Gamo CFX in .22 and at some stage, it appears that i have bent the barrel somehow (or it was already bent when purchasing). It appears as severe barrel droop. I put a scope on it when I got it but I could not zero it. Assuming my scope went bad, i bought another one but it was the same. In the end I had to purchase an adjustable MOA mount for it to even sight in at 20m. The rear of the scope mount is ~4mm higher than the front!

This means the rifle is almost useless other than at the sighted in distance since the paths are so far from parallel.

The barrel appears straight but Looking down the action/breach, the barrel appears to be visibly bent down. Those that know the rifle will know it's a fixed barrel type so it's not traditional break action droop. This one also has a gas ram and not a traditional spring. I purchased it second hand with standard sights. Possibly it was bent before I even got it but just didn't notice it.

It still has plenty of punch and FPS is as expected so i am 99% sure it's bent and it's not just a seal issue causing low power, thus the low impact point. It still happily takes down feral pigeons with ease at 20m.

Assuming the issue is the barrel itself and the breech section is not bent:
Do I try to bend it back perhaps?
Do i Just replace the barrel?
if so - Where can I get something compatible or original that is economical? (M10x1 thread I'm led to believe)
Live with it? (I have for a few years but OCD tendencies are taking over - I know it's not right)

I've googled around but I can't seem to find anyone in Australia that sells Gamo parts.

I can't see any reason it can't be bent straight again, rife barrels can be.
You'll need V-blocks and a press.
It would be done similarly to how we straighten motorcycle fork legs.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Mar 2022, 10:46 am

bladeracer has it, if it can be bent, bend it back. If you are not comfortable doing it yourself then look around for asmall engineering jobbing shop and ask them, any competent Fitter could do the job, or even a motor mechanic might. As bladeracer said, we often had to straighten our own fork legs after a bit of an "off", Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by elnino » 23 Mar 2022, 7:43 pm

Thanks guys, I broke it down and was able to get it pretty good by using my press. I got it so close, with my scope zeroed (and back on regular rings), it was hitting within 5mm at 10m so I'll see how it goes at longer distances. I was able to use a straight edge and eyeball it to a fraction of a gap over the length of the barrel. it actually worked pretty well!
elnino
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Mar 2022, 8:04 pm

elnino wrote:Thanks guys, I broke it down and was able to get it pretty good by using my press. I got it so close, with my scope zeroed (and back on regular rings), it was hitting within 5mm at 10m so I'll see how it goes at longer distances. I was able to use a straight edge and eyeball it to a fraction of a gap over the length of the barrel. it actually worked pretty well!

That's all we do with fork legs, bend it and roll it in the V-blocks with a dial gauge, or a fixed pointer. With a barrel it doesn't even need to be straight, you can bend it to put it close to point of aim for example.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles