Remington Nylon

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Remington Nylon

Post by Shootermick » 29 Mar 2022, 8:43 pm

Anyone had any experience with a Remington Nylon 66, semi auto 22.?
I had a good look at one in fairly good nick today, nearly made an impulse buy, but managed not to, interesting looking rifle.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Remington Nylon

Post by wrenchman » 30 Mar 2022, 9:55 am

they have not been made in a while those that do have them dont tend to let them go i have one make sure the extractor is good on the one you are looking at it is how i got the one i got it was jamming
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 30 Mar 2022, 11:35 am

Shootermick wrote:Anyone had any experience with a Remington Nylon 66, semi auto 22.?
I had a good look at one in fairly good nick today, nearly made an impulse buy, but managed not to, interesting looking rifle.

Saw one on a shelf when I was a kid, quite liked it but wasn't interested enough to get one. Don't think I've ever seen one since.

I think they're quite highly regarded in the US but I've read the plastic is getting brittle now and they need to be handled gently. In Oz where you're buying it for CatC pest control I'd stick with the Ruger myself rather than something collectible, though a .22LR semi-auto MP40, MP44, Thompson or Uzi would be more fun.
Last edited by bladeracer on 30 Mar 2022, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Mar 2022, 12:07 pm

G'day bladeracer,
Sadly the 22RF versions of military rifles and sub-guns are prohibited here. We recently looked at the GSG AK, and were refused by LRD on "appearance". As to the Nylon 66, there were a lot of people dubious about a nylon receiver, but after reportd from the arctic of Inuit using them to hunt, and the fact they didn't need to treat them against freezing, they became very popular. I recall at a Field Day somewhere in Vic someone demonstrating the Nylon 66 by throwing 1" blocks of wood in the air and shooting them one handed, 20 out of 20! Still would buy a Ruger 10/22 if I needed a cat C for the property though.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Marty » 30 Mar 2022, 3:29 pm

Shootermick wrote:Anyone had any experience with a Remington Nylon 66, semi auto 22.?

Hi Shootermick,
I had a CBC version back in the day. Not for long. Put a scope on it and it would not hold zero. The "recoil" was enough to move the receiver around enough to shift the zero. The receiver is just a plate with a couple of through bolts. Wasn't secure enough to stop it sliding back over the nylon stock, ever so slightly.
Maybe the Remington one is different?

Cheers, Martin.
Marty
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Shootermick » 30 Mar 2022, 7:11 pm

As interesting as the Remington was, if I do go down the semi auto 22 path, I’d probably go for a 10/22, they’re not too much dearer than what the used Nylon was either.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 30 Mar 2022, 7:15 pm

not maintainable
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 31 Mar 2022, 6:05 am

https://gunguy.tv/2015/11/25/the-reming ... nd-review/

Nylon 66 & nylon 6 are commonly used a to make carpet. And I'm sure plenty of other products.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylon_66
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Border_Bloke » 11 Apr 2022, 12:25 pm

I remember first seeing these in a gunshop in Leongatha in the early 80's. I seem to recall they were fairly expensive at the time. Most of the people I knew either bought the Stirling M20's (because they were cheap) or the Ruger 10/22 (because of it's reputation).

Nylon degrades in UV light so I'd be careful buying a really old one.

They were the second non-wooden stocked rifle I'd ever seen (the first been an M16 at Willamstown range).
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 11 Apr 2022, 6:14 pm

I ended up buying a new Ruger 10/22, haven’t got it yet, but fairly confident I’ve made the right decision.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles