Are old Brno rifles as good as they are often said to be?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Are old Brno rifles as good as they are often said to be

Post by JohnV » 28 Jun 2022, 3:22 pm

Bidgee wrote:
JohnV wrote:Same here , It's never affected me in any negative way . When the fox goes down from a head shot at 90 meters who gives a sh*t about bolt lift height . A 1957 model 2 would be a better one than my 2E . My Brother-in-law had a Model 1 and it shot better than mine . I tried to buy it a few times but he would not sell it .

I get that. Mine's not the prettiest gun I own - well used, got a cheap Tasco on it, stock is dinged, bluing well worn on barrel - but it would be the last one I'd sell. Mainly because I've had it since I was about 16 and we've done a lot of hunting together. Mine loves subs.

I have a 4x 32 Tasco on mine a Japanese made one and it's got real clear optics . I also have a Leupold 2 to 7 that I always intended to put on the Brno but never bothered as the Tasco works great . One time in Singapore many moons ago I went into a camera shop and they had scopes . Had a look and they were mainly Tasco made in Japan and as cheap as dirt so I bought three . One I gave away to a grazier whose scope was f*cked and I still have two .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by safeshot » 11 Jul 2022, 9:57 pm

Looks like your project "Mauser" turned out good. I like your dog too.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by safeshot » 11 Jul 2022, 10:09 pm

Mine was made in 1983 and there are some rough machine marks and its a basic model with Beech wood stock and it cost me .....wait for it....
$180.00.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by JohnV » 12 Jul 2022, 11:27 am

I guy I knew years ago went to Horsley Park gun shop with $20 000 to spend by the time he finished the discount was 2 free Brno model 2's and two free Brno 308's .
Later I found out from the owner , the father , at a gun show that they were only paying around $45 wholesale for a Brno model 2 back then .
I don't know when my Model 2E was made , I bought it secondhand from a guy who had never fired it . Think I paid $250 back then . Mine has a nice walnut stock with some grain .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Apollo » 12 Jul 2022, 12:10 pm

JohnV wrote:I guy I knew years ago went to Horsley Park gun shop with $20 000 to spend by the time he finished the discount was 2 free Brno model 2's and two free Brno 308's .
Later I found out from the owner , the father , at a gun show that they were only paying around $45 wholesale for a Brno model 2 back then .
I don't know when my Model 2E was made , I bought it secondhand from a guy who had never fired it . Think I paid $250 back then . Mine has a nice walnut stock with some grain .

John V, the build date on a Brno is stamped on the Barrel and also Action.

Of all the detailed posts you have made I'm surprised you lack knowledge here.

As far as as the Topic goes, I've had a few Brno's and in my view they are very good, miles ahead of anything built in the USA.

I still have a Brno Model 2 (not a 2E) that I have taken to a 200 Yard Benchrest Competition and for the 4/5 Details I ranked in 6th place then grabbed then wrong box of ammo and dropped 4 places. Out of near 60 Shooters all but 3 were using Custom Rifles worth thousands. A lot were Kids using Dad's Rifle but they were amazed and I got asked "What was that Funny Gun" I was using... answer mate.... "That's a Rabbit Gun".......

Out in` the paddock, it's a Rabbit Gun and will shoot way less than 1 MOA using Winchester Power Points (The Old Fawn Box) that I still have a couple of Bricks left. Competition, it uses Lapua Centre X and at 50 Yards will put 5 shots in near the same hole. More accurate is Elley Black Box Match but they are near twice the price. I "Rim Sort" all my 22 Ammo. Takes awhile but it's worth it for accuracy.

The last two places were my Mate and his Son... Using a Brno Model 2 BUT they couldn't get the Ammo they tested here yet alone sort before the weekend.
Last edited by Apollo on 12 Jul 2022, 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 12 Jul 2022, 12:23 pm

Oh, BTW....

I purchased my Model 2 about 15 Years ago from an Estate , highest bidder, for $600. My Gunsmith says it's one of the best looked after and condition Model 2's he have ever seen. Trigger has been modified so it breaks at less than 1oz and is to me great.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 12 Jul 2022, 12:31 pm

I also had a Brno Model 601 in 243W that was pretty much 1/2 MOA using anything that would fit in it.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 12 Jul 2022, 4:41 pm

Apollo wrote:
JohnV wrote:I guy I knew years ago went to Horsley Park gun shop with $20 000 to spend by the time he finished the discount was 2 free Brno model 2's and two free Brno 308's .

John V, the build date on a Brno is stamped on the Barrel and also Action.

Of all the detailed posts you have made I'm surprised you lack knowledge here.

As far as as the Topic goes, I've had a few Brno's and in my view they are very good, miles ahead of anything built in the USA.

I still have a Brno Model 2 (not a 2E) that I have taken to a 200 Yard Benchrest Competition and for the 4/5 Details I ranked in 6th place then grabbed then wrong box of ammo and dropped 4 places. Out of near 60 Shooters all but 3 were using Custom Rifles worth thousands. A lot were Kids using Dad's Rifle but they were amazed and I got asked "What was that Funny Gun" I was using... answer mate.... "That's a Rabbit Gun".......

Out in` the paddock, it's a Rabbit Gun and will shoot way less than 1 MOA using Winchester Power Points (The Old Fawn Box) that I still have a couple of Bricks left. Competition, it uses Lapua Centre X and at 50 Yards will put 5 shots in near the same hole. More accurate is Elley Black Box Match but they are near twice the price. I "Rim Sort" all my 22 Ammo. Takes awhile but it's worth it for accuracy.

The last two places were my Mate and his Son... Using a Brno Model 2 BUT they couldn't get the Ammo they tested here yet alone sort before the weekend.
I don't lack that knowledge I just did not know it offhand and not prepared to go out in the cold to find out . Your making assumptions .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 14 Jul 2022, 7:28 pm

So I just finished inspecting some of my guns to asses any corrosion problems and I looked at my Brno 2E and it's a 1988 model , so 34 year's old .
Except for a few slight scratches in the stock which most of them I did not do . I lent it to a graziers son for a nights rabbit shooting and he was so rough with it . He never got anything off me ever again , other than that it looks and shoots like new .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by jwai86 » 16 Nov 2022, 3:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:I'm working on modifying the sight ramp to make the sight usefully adjustable - it's currently "adjustable" but doesn't change the point of impact significantly.

Several months on, did you succeed in fixing up the sight ramp?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Nov 2022, 4:43 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I'm working on modifying the sight ramp to make the sight usefully adjustable - it's currently "adjustable" but doesn't change the point of impact significantly.

Several months on, did you succeed in fixing up the sight ramp?

Nope. I had a look at it again when a mate was here but didn't start anything.
And have been fully focussed on the .303 since June.
I was given a flip-up ladder rear sight off a Martini Cadet .22LR that I was hoping to try fitting on the JW25A, but I can't find the bloody thing :-)
Attachments
20191205_175009b.jpg
20191205_175009b.jpg (241.19 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 21 Nov 2022, 6:21 pm

solarpak wrote:The old Brno and CZ rimfires - probably up too the 452 are certainly collectors pieces with prices only heading north - the only issue is finding one that hasn't been molested and in VGC or better.

Yeah, it's not easy to find a Brno Model 1, 2 or 5 that still has all its parts, hasn't been thrashed too much, and is priced well compared to picking up a newer CZ.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles