How important are the improvements in the CZ 457 range?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

How important are the improvements in the CZ 457 range?

Post by jwai86 » 25 Apr 2022, 11:07 pm

The CZ 457 range has features that are said to be improvements over previous generations such as a more easily adjustable trigger, redesigned safety and bolt release, and a 60 degree bolt throw. However, the used market has plenty of CZ 452 and 455 rifles on offer, and from the opinions I've seen and heard, they are still highly regarded despite missing the above modern conveniences. Given that shooters have managed to live without such features on their CZ and Brno rimfire rifles for decades, how important are they in practice?

Abela's in Campbelltown NSW is selling the CZ 457 Synthetic rifle for $985, but they also have a few CZ 455 Synthetic rifles going for $695. I can only wonder if the CZ 457 is indeed $290 better than its predecessor.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: How important are the improvements in the CZ 457 range?

Post by Mattraff » 26 Apr 2022, 1:43 am

There are lots of ways to answer this but in short yes the 457 is better, it is a more modern and better finished design with a decent trigger. I own 2 x 452's, 1 x 455 and 2 457's
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 26 Apr 2022, 8:23 am

On average both will yield similar accuracy. When you are really getting down to the finer details, such as scope mount height and trigger pull weight you might appreciate the improvements. Personally, I find a high mount scope and low comb pretty gross these days, so I'd opt for the 457. That's not to say that 10 years ago I would have ever appreciated such nuances - it's just hard to regress when you use really tuned gear that is adjusted perfectly for you.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 26 Apr 2022, 9:15 am

Don't have a problem getting a 40mm objective scope close to touching the barrel on my 452.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by jwai86 » 27 Apr 2022, 9:00 am

bigpete wrote:Don't have a problem getting a 40mm objective scope close to touching the barrel on my 452.

Which CZ 452 model do you have?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 27 Apr 2022, 10:38 am

bigpete wrote:Don't have a problem getting a 40mm objective scope close to touching the barrel on my 452.

Also, which scope is it?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 27 Apr 2022, 11:31 am

jwai86 wrote:The CZ 457 range has features that are said to be improvements over previous generations such as a more easily adjustable trigger, redesigned safety and bolt release, and a 60 degree bolt throw. However, the used market has plenty of CZ 452 and 455 rifles on offer, and from the opinions I've seen and heard, they are still highly regarded despite missing the above modern conveniences. Given that shooters have managed to live without such features on their CZ and Brno rimfire rifles for decades, how important are they in practice?

Abela's in Campbelltown NSW is selling the CZ 457 Synthetic rifle for $985, but they also have a few CZ 455 Synthetic rifles going for $695. I can only wonder if the CZ 457 is indeed $290 better than its predecessor.

Well actually I don't believe any of the changes are important.
for some people they're nice to have but as far as being a reliable hunting firearm none of them and needed.

I'm with bigpete on this one never had a problem I had the c z 452 American
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 27 Apr 2022, 12:01 pm

deye243 wrote:Well actually I don't believe any of the changes are important.

If you aren't coming from a particularly strong perspective, I absolutely agree. Any rifle can be mastered with enough practice; enough time on a specific rifle and you'll feel right at home, and changing to literally anything else will feel jarring for a bit. So yeah if he's relatively new to paper punching or steel ringing the 452 will do just fine, not to mention hunting whereby even the old brno mod2 still excels with colours.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 27 Apr 2022, 1:30 pm

Just my opinion but some of the biggest problems in society today is the people will not adapt to certain things they expect certain things to adapt to them big part of this country's downfall ...... again just my humble opinion .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 Apr 2022, 1:38 pm

Screenshot_20220427-130716_Gallery.jpg
This one
Screenshot_20220427-130716_Gallery.jpg (259.02 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 27 Apr 2022, 9:25 pm

Nice stock Pete
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by qld33 » 29 Apr 2022, 4:28 pm

The default advice when I was looking was to get a used cz452, vs other manufacturers 22's. I looked for one for a few months but the 457 kept popping up for less money so I got one instead and am very happy!
qld33
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jpsauer88 » 29 Apr 2022, 7:29 pm

Having had several of all three, 452, 455 and 457. This is my honest opinion after heavy use on all three.
Accuracy- 452 & 455 had slight edge (regardles of ammo the 455 was more consistent by atleast 1.8mm from the 452 and 2.5 over the 457), but they are pretty much the same.

I would go the 455. Here is why:
1.The bolt seals alot better - this is the biggest flaw of the 457. Let me explain, the ejection port is closer to the barrel/chamber on the 457, with low velocity rounds that have harder brass (remington ceebee) you will get specks of powder spray in your face (Use eye protection!). The 455 has this area covered by design, even if something did spray out it wouldnt spray out as its protected by the action woth a more recessed edge. The bolt also has cuts in top and sides (as opposed to just sides) this is where the pressure can leak from, right in your eyes. The bolt also locks tighter, this may be due to 90degree v 60 degree lift.
2. The action is shorter on the 457 to "save weight" however this places significant pressure on the action screws.
3. In the 457 the finish is a coating which is very durable, +1 point to the 457, however, the above differences along with very minor accuracy differences which may be equal if both plaves in a chasis system - place the 455 ahead.

If your using a traditional stock, go the 455 (its a 452 with interchangeable barrels and slight better a accuracy) if your hunting especially, not worth the occasional spray in eyes with powder of shooting subsonic ammo.

Some peoole are 452 diehard fans, i have no emotional connection to the 452 and my 455 shoots better than both 452s including one that was almost new.

It is just common sense with a longer action in a timber stock you will get a more ridged tightening to action and more accuracy. Dont know why they saved costs a z reduced action size, sirely wasnt just to "save weight" as claimed.

Anyway, all the best.
jpsauer88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 23 Jun 2022, 10:12 am

jpsauer88 wrote:I would go the 455. Here is why:
1.The bolt seals alot better - this is the biggest flaw of the 457. Let me explain, the ejection port is closer to the barrel/chamber on the 457, with low velocity rounds that have harder brass (remington ceebee) you will get specks of powder spray in your face (Use eye protection!). The 455 has this area covered by design, even if something did spray out it wouldnt spray out as its protected by the action woth a more recessed edge. The bolt also has cuts in top and sides (as opposed to just sides) this is where the pressure can leak from, right in your eyes. The bolt also locks tighter, this may be due to 90degree v 60 degree lift.

I don't doubt your observation, but I've never heard of this issue before. Do you know if this is a widespread problem?

2. The action is shorter on the 457 to "save weight" however this places significant pressure on the action screws.

What does this result in?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jpsauer88 » 26 Aug 2022, 7:06 am

I do not know if its a qidespread issue but, its a flaw in the design. I understand remington ceebee doeesnt have enough pressure to perhaps seal as well, but that just highlights the issue - in the event that pressure escapes its directed towards the shooters eyes.

2. Nothing that i have experienced just a cost cutting feature i noticed.

I have no bias as i owned all three, currently own a cz457 jag and 455 varmint. I still own the 457 because I couldnt find a 455 jag at the time and now to sell this and buy a 455 jag would prbly lose me money - so i wear glasses when i shoot the 457. But the 455 is just better all round. Trigger is identical, trigger guard is way nicer on 457. If you really want a 457 weat glasses when ur shooting thats all. But if ur gona hunt without glasses etc, just go the 455.
jpsauer88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 26 Aug 2022, 10:42 am

jpsauer88 wrote:If you really want a 457 weat glasses when ur shooting thats all. But if ur gona hunt without glasses etc, just go the 455.

I wear prescription glasses all the time for near-sightedness, so I'm not majorly inconvenienced either way.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Aug 2022, 1:27 pm

jpsauer88 wrote:I do not know if its a qidespread issue but, its a flaw in the design. I understand remington ceebee doeesnt have enough pressure to perhaps seal as well, but that just highlights the issue - in the event that pressure escapes its directed towards the shooters eyes.

I think this is a fairly common issue with lots of older designs with very low pressure ammunition. S&B Shorts in the BSA Sportman 5 and the JW25A both spit debris back at me due to the lack of pressure sealing the breech. It's something to keep in mind any time you try a new ammunition in a firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 26 Aug 2022, 3:07 pm

Well I have to amend my previous comments on the 457 as 3 weeks ago I purchased one and all I can say is wow in the trigger department they have gone from one of the ****** on the market to even better than my anschutz 1517 dhb trigger.
A simple spring change sits on 14 oz does not bump or slam fire it is absolutely the best trigger on a factory rifle I have used to date and that includes my Tikka tac A1.
now as far as accuracy goes I've got a model 2E and had a 452 American and the 457 Varmint that I've just purchased there's nothing in it as different batch lots of even the same brand of ammunition will make a bigger difference.
And the bedding system ls far superior in the Varmint I have as it came pillar bedded what more could you want .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jpsauer88 » 26 Aug 2022, 7:23 pm

The 455 and 457 trigger feel the same to me

Varmints "move" less as their heavier so sometimes it cam make the trigger feel better. But my 455 and 457 really feel the same. Trigger guard finish is way better on 457 though
jpsauer88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles