Best way to get a good price when selling?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Best way to get a good price when selling?

Post by ramshackle » 20 May 2022, 6:28 pm

How would you go about getting a good price for a quality .22 rifle? I suppose you are limited to local gun dealers? What kind of deal should one strive to achieve with them? Typical percentage they take is .... ?
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Best way to get a good price when selling?

Post by in2anity » 20 May 2022, 6:31 pm

Sell it on usedguns
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ramshackle » 20 May 2022, 6:40 pm

How would you price an almost new rifle? Less than 500 rounds through it. Take what you paid and reduce by 10%? More?
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 20 May 2022, 7:04 pm

ramshackle wrote:How would you price an almost new rifle? Less than 500 rounds through it. Take what you paid and reduce by 10%? More?

What’s the rifle?
You’d be lucky to get 50% of what you paid for it through a dealer.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 20 May 2022, 7:11 pm

22LR CZ
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 20 May 2022, 7:20 pm

Look at what prefers are selling the same rifle on usedguns, ssaa gun sales etc. That will give you a start

Also cz have made lots of different 22lr rifles, be a bit more descriptive on the ads
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by ob1 » 20 May 2022, 7:21 pm

CZ current and past sale prices on usedguns

https://usedguns.com.au/search-results/ ... ludeSold=1
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 May 2022, 8:35 pm

ramshackle wrote:How would you go about getting a good price for a quality .22 rifle? I suppose you are limited to local gun dealers? What kind of deal should one strive to achieve with them? Typical percentage they take is .... ?

You can sell to anybody with the appropriate licence. Any transfer is required to go through a dealer's licence though, the dealer will usually charge a fee for this. To sell to a dealer I wouldn't expect more than 50% of market price, unless perhaps it's something very special they know they can move quickly.

Selling privately will get you a better price, but the buyer has to add shipping and transfers, which can make it more sensible to just buy a new one from his dealer (no shipping or transfer).

Come at the deal from the viewpoint of a prospective buyer. Say your rifle sells new currently for $1000, and you were looking for another one. Would you pay $800 for a secondhand one on your dealer's shelf (no fees)? Would you pay $800 for one that also has to go through a dealer's books for a fee (say making it $850)? Would you pay $800 if it also has to be sent down to your dealer (as above plus shipping - say making it $910)?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 20 May 2022, 8:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:Come at the deal from the viewpoint of a prospective buyer. Say your rifle sells new currently for $1000, and you were looking for another one. Would you pay $800 for a secondhand one on your dealer's shelf (no fees)? Would you pay $800 for one that also has to go through a dealer's books for a fee (say making it $850)? Would you pay $800 if it also has to be sent down to your dealer (as above plus shipping - say making it $910)?

Thanks for this; you are one of the few people here offering valuable info :thumbsup:
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lsfan » 20 May 2022, 10:00 pm

When selling anything, I find similar examples for sale and gauge it from that. You can then adjust your pricing according to the condition and age.
I have a cz455 and I paid $670 new but have seen them second hand for more. If I was to sell mine which is in perfect condition, I would assume a price tag around $500 but seeing what others charge I'd probably put in excess of $700 on it.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 21 May 2022, 3:52 am

I will give you 50 imaginary dollars for pretend rifle.
I mean its not really “as new” if you’ve already put about 500 pretend rounds through it.
Is it a good shooter ?
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles