economic 22LR bolt action

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

economic 22LR bolt action

Post by mickb » 22 Jun 2022, 9:14 pm

Fellas any recommendations for a cheapish 22LR bolt action? Anything stand out? I currently have a 96/22 in the safe which is pretty accurate and does most of my 22 shooting. I have owned various CZ452 in years past but not looking to spend that sort of coin now. Thanks for any suggestions.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: economic 22LR bolt action

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jun 2022, 9:24 pm

mickb wrote:Fellas any recommendations for a cheapish 22LR bolt action? Anything stand out? I currently have a 96/22 in the safe which is pretty accurate and does most of my 22 shooting. I have owned various CZ452 in years past but not looking to spend that sort of coin now. Thanks for any suggestions.

Norinco JW15 is a clone of the 452 and is generally respected.
Otherwise look for an old BSA, Lithgow or Remington 5XX-series repeater.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 22 Jun 2022, 9:48 pm

Long long tim. Ago I had a norinco jw15 it was bloody accurate and only 130 bucks new
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by boingk » 22 Jun 2022, 11:45 pm

Another JW15 vote.

People have also had good experiences with the new Citadel Trakr offerings.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by jwai86 » 23 Jun 2022, 10:05 am

Is finding a JW15 that shoots well much of a lottery given the rough production quality?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 23 Jun 2022, 11:01 am

I don't think the accuracy part is the problem with them. Its usually that the action feels like its got a handful of metal shavings thrown in it lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by northdude » 23 Jun 2022, 11:24 am

How about a mk2 savage
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by mickb » 23 Jun 2022, 5:29 pm

Thanks fellas I might give the JW15 another look then. Originally I didnt consider them as had two mates who bought the 22LR lever action version each( I think the 9422 knockoff?) and I cant remember the exact meat of the problem but they had a few visits to the gunsmith regards sights.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Shootermick » 23 Jun 2022, 6:04 pm

Ruger American is good, not sure on your budget but it’s definitely worth a look. I’ve got three in different calibres.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2022, 6:20 pm

mickb wrote:Thanks fellas I might give the JW15 another look then. Originally I didnt consider them as had two mates who bought the 22LR lever action version each( I think the 9422 knockoff?) and I cant remember the exact meat of the problem but they had a few visits to the gunsmith regards sights.

Yep, I have the JW21 lever, also a great rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 23 Jun 2022, 7:13 pm

From my experience with One JW15, I would say that you should be prepared for a lot of work to get it ready for shooting. For instance, this one was covered in grease, both inside and outside. That is, the barrel and action had to be degreased as well as the mating surfaces of the stock. The bore was chock-a-block with it and thankfully, I took the precaution of having the owner poke a rod through minus the jag/patch. There were just enough specks of bright metal in the grease on that rod, to make me think my caution was justified.
I don't know what sort of groups the owner got but apparently he was satisfied.
p.s. bigpete's comment about the action applied to this rifle too
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by jwai86 » 27 Jun 2022, 1:29 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:From my experience with One JW15, I would say that you should be prepared for a lot of work to get it ready for shooting. For instance, this one was covered in grease, both inside and outside. That is, the barrel and action had to be degreased as well as the mating surfaces of the stock. The bore was chock-a-block with it and thankfully, I took the precaution of having the owner poke a rod through minus the jag/patch. There were just enough specks of bright metal in the grease on that rod, to make me think my caution was justified.

How did you go about getting all the grease out of everything?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 27 Jun 2022, 2:31 pm

Voere 22lr are a nice german made shooter you can get a good one as little as $250, has sweet varmint forend that I love, its the only 22lr I keep in my safe after owning Tikka's, Anschutz,

Krico 22lr is another you can find for around the $300-350 range, probably the best trigger on a 22 with out going crazy on coin, then you have the usually Savage, CZ, Ruger.
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 27 Jun 2022, 7:17 pm

jwai86 wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:From my experience with One JW15, I would say that you should be prepared for a lot of work to get it ready for shooting. For instance, this one was covered in grease, both inside and outside. That is, the barrel and action had to be degreased as well as the mating surfaces of the stock. The bore was chock-a-block with it and thankfully, I took the precaution of having the owner poke a rod through minus the jag/patch. There were just enough specks of bright metal in the grease on that rod, to make me think my caution was justified.

How did you go about getting all the grease out of everything?

I have a LOT of rags in my gge. All of it was clothing that I hung on to as it wore out. I had a motorcycle that the rags were intended for and the owner of the rifle got stuck into rubbing the plastic stock until it wasn't slick anymore. I would have wet the rags with petrol but the owner wasn't that fussy about the barrelled action returning to the same place after every shot.

As for the barrel, a bare rod was poked through initially, so as not to force any of the bright specks into hard contact with the bore. When it became evident that we were getting no more specks on the rod itself, I suggested loose patches on a jag. This bloke insisted on Parker Hale gear, which was what I use. Tighter and tighter patches went through and out the muzzle until I reckoned it was free of specks. In the following weeks or months (I forget now) the owner reckoned he was happy. Did not want it bedded even. Have not heard from him in years.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles