Any love for the 22mag fellas?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Any love for the 22mag fellas?

Post by KWest » 29 Jun 2022, 2:44 pm

I kinda regret going with my .22mag, its fussy on its ammo when it comes to accuracy and its preference was cci vmax which turned out hard to get in a regional town.
KWest
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 29 Jun 2022, 10:36 pm

The other round which I've used to good effect is the Federal 50gr HP. Only problem at around 1500fps its a bit of a rainbow warrior but it really penetrates the bigger animals. Very popular in tassie for shooting wallabies.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by solarpak » 09 Jul 2022, 6:42 pm

Recently acquired a Weihrauch HW60 in .22WMR to keep company with my HW66 Production in .22LR.
Havent range tested in a set but planning to buy a few loads and see what shoots best - but will also test out the Federal Gameshok 50 g load which is effective on bigger game.
From memory the 22 mag was the mainstay of many farmers who needed an accurate rifle that would shoot out to 120 metres with out the need to reload. A farmer friend (passed away many years ago) had two Anschutz 22 magnums - one had fired 60,000 rounds and the other 90,000 rounds - mainly shooting roos on a crop protection permit. He eventually started reloading for the 222 which gave him a bit more stretch out to 220 metres of so - but the 22 mag still was there as a back up.

The curent crop of ammo for the 22 mag is much better than say 30 years ago - and even though its much more expensive than bygone years it is still a versatile round.

C.
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by northdude » 10 Jul 2022, 10:01 am

the thing that's keeping it popular over here is its the largest rifle cal we are allowed in semi auto with a normal fal.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Clint Ellison » 10 Jul 2022, 5:50 pm

Always loved the 22 mag. I got mine at the age of 13 or 14 when I swapped it off my uncle for a saddle. Killed plenty of rabbits foxes roos and pigs with it over the years and a few goats aswell, favouring it over a 22 for extra power and the hornet for cheaper ammo. Don't use it much these days but if I still did alot of rabbit shooting would probably be my go to
Clint Ellison
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles