My Model 25 Gecado

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: My Model 25 Gecado

Post by Wm.Traynor » 20 Aug 2022, 8:57 am

northdude wrote:Angle grinder with a cut off wheel

Got it, thanks mate :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 30 Aug 2022, 4:38 pm

G'day WT,

It's about time for a Gecado update and have you made a spring compressor yet?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 30 Aug 2022, 7:51 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day WT,

It's about time for a Gecado update and have you made a spring compressor yet?

Jim

I have kept changing my mind about how to do things. I screwed and glued a couple of pieces of MDF to a 20 inch length of pine but they both have splits in them :thumbsdown: Installing the shortened G-Clamp turned out to be the easy part. Nothing was done today as we are "Entertaining" four grandchildren :silent: Talk about bedlam. To fix the MDF, I will glue in some pieces of dowel. Then I hope to put a brace behind the MDF part that resists the force of the spring during compression. This is complicated by the piece being at an angle to the line of force.
I got in to this spot of bother because the piece has a blind hole in it to accept the breech end of the compression tube. This hole was drilled with a spade bit and the bottom is lopsided. To accommodate this condition, the piece is turned at a slight angle to the line of force, so that both "prongs" of the breech bear evenly against the bottom of the hole.

I think this is a case of, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions".

This, "Slight angle", complicates the making of the brace.

I will try to talk my wife in to taking some pics, to try to make things clearer but tomorrow will also be devoted to the GKs, so maybe expect something by the weekend because there are chores to be done too.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 31 Aug 2022, 7:05 am

G'day WT,

I look forward to your pictures. Using wood that has obvious splits in a high load device worries me.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 31 Aug 2022, 7:32 am

My spring compressor is a 400mm long piece of 32 x 25 alloy rectangular hollow section which I Tek screw to a door frame, piece of cloth under the muzzle to protect that and use the arrangement as a lever.
Have to be accurate with height of the Tek as you will be working close to the fulcrum for adequate leverage and "stroke" is limited.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Aug 2022, 7:07 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day WT,

Using wood that has obvious splits in a high load device worries me.

Jim

Me too, don't worry :problem: :thumbsdown:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: My Model 25 Gecado Update 31 Aug.

Post by Wm.Traynor » 31 Aug 2022, 7:24 pm

The MDF has been removed and Real Wood will be used in future (the GKs left earlier than expected). A different design will be employed this time and there will not be a blind hole for the breech-end to occupy. Instead, a piece of wood will be through-drilled to hold the breech-end captive. This piece will be attached to the load bearing timber. The latter will be secured with bolts, instead of screws and glue. The through-drilled piece in front of the load bearer will mean that the breech-end prongs will meet the load bearer (LB) evenly, negating the need for the LB to be at a slight angle to the line of force.
Well, that's the latest theory anyway.

I wish to thank the followers of this topic, for their patience in my journey with this project and I hope to reward them and myself :roll: soon. :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 01 Sep 2022, 7:10 pm

Today, the pieces of Real Wood were sawn up after some insignificant chores were dealt with. (Ever noticed that: there's always chores: always.) Now some bolts will need buying when I can get a lend of my wife's car. Not long now, I hope.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Re: My Model 25 Gecado Update 3/9/22

Post by Wm.Traynor » 03 Sep 2022, 4:47 pm

The Spring Compressor is finished. Hallelujah! :D Glad that's over. Pics have been taken on my wife's phone but they refuse to upload. Tomorrow will have to be the day for that because we are getting ready to go out and celebrate my wife's 70th :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Sep 2022, 4:46 pm

Project 10.jpg
Project 10.jpg (204.09 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
Project 9.jpg
Project 9.jpg (187.8 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
Project 1.jpg
Project 1.jpg (204.09 KiB) Viewed 1219 times
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Sep 2022, 5:09 pm

The piece of pine in the above pics, that is screwed to the block of red wood furthest from the G-Clamp, is drilled right through, the accept the breech-end of the compression tube. It is that red block, which resists the force of the spring. The hole in the pine is lined with thin leather, to avoid marring the very expensive :roll: ;) finish on the tube. The belt idea came from a Yt video, although it is used in conjunction with some firm rubber between it and the very expensive etc., etc., etc..

Thank you everyone who contributed :D It works like a charm now. I can scarcely believe how good it is :D :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 04 Sep 2022, 6:47 pm

G'day WT,

As long as you've come out of the 'exercise' with all body parts still attached and functional and the rifle shooting as it's meant, then that's what matters. Your compressor is a little more subtle?, delicate? than my monster, but I was using mine for some very big air rifles, e.g. .25 Webley-Scott Patriot, Diana 350 Magnum and my favourite HW 80.

Well done.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Sep 2022, 9:30 pm

Thanks Jim :D
Bill
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major