Winchester 22 ammo

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Winchester 22 ammo

Post by waimo » 07 Jul 2022, 11:01 am

Just finished plinking off a box of 42 grain winchester subsonic ammo . On first inspection rounds appeared to have different sized hollow points and lacked uniformity. Had half a dozen out of the 50 go supersonic and had to remove a spent case stuck in the chamber. Has the quality control with wnichester now being made in the us gone out the window or did I get a bad batch . Never had issues in days gone by with the australian manufactured stuff. Winchester always had a great reputation for knockdown power . Any experiences ?
waimo
Recruit
Recruit

New Zealand

Re: Winchester 22 ammo

Post by northdude » 07 Jul 2022, 11:09 am

Same over here the aussie stuff was good.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by animalpest » 07 Jul 2022, 11:44 am

Since being made in the USA, Winchester .22 ammo has gone seriously backwards.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by MtnMan » 07 Jul 2022, 4:32 pm

found the 40gr HP, high velocity offering to be the most accurate high velocity ammo for my LA101.
That 42gr sub load you speak was ordinary for accuracy for me.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 07 Jul 2022, 7:11 pm

I tried the win subs recently and they were all over the place like a mad woman's knitting.

I weighed them and there were 12 different weight groups in the 90 I had after first try.

@mtnman
Agreed on the power points 3 different weight groups in 100 and the most accurate hv in my Lithgow, Center X give me one hole at 50m.
Love the 101
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by MtnMan » 08 Jul 2022, 7:16 am

Try the winchester super suppressed. Cheap and it is very accurate in my LA101, second only to SK pistol match special. they are 45gr at the standard sub velocity so they have more energy. they really pack a wallop. Mind you I form them from round nose into hollow point with a swaging die I made.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 08 Jul 2022, 9:25 am

I have been saying it for years if winchester is all thats available go home.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jul 2022, 11:35 am

waimo wrote:Just finished plinking off a box of 42 grain winchester subsonic ammo . On first inspection rounds appeared to have different sized hollow points and lacked uniformity. Had half a dozen out of the 50 go supersonic and had to remove a spent case stuck in the chamber. Has the quality control with wnichester now being made in the us gone out the window or did I get a bad batch . Never had issues in days gone by with the australian manufactured stuff. Winchester always had a great reputation for knockdown power . Any experiences ?

I have 15 types of Winchester .22LR ammo and none of it shoots in any of my rifles better than "adequate", most of it is less than adequate for anything but close-range plinking, and some is just awful. The Sub-Max 42gn is one of the better Winchesters though, giving me reasonably consistent 30mm groups at 50m, and usually under 100mm at 100m.

40 years ago I think Winchester was on par with everything else, but they haven't kept up. I wish I had a few boxes of the old Aussie Ammo so I could see if it actually shoots as well now as I remember it :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 08 Jul 2022, 12:44 pm

@mtnman
Sorry, that's the one I meant, I should have been clearer.
I couldn't get it to perform so I just used them up as fouling shots after cleaning.

Never ceases to amaze me the amount of variability from rifle to rifle ammo to ammo even batch to batch.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by MtnMan » 08 Jul 2022, 1:05 pm

Yep, with a new .22 just buy a box of every available ammo, find what it likes then go buy a lifetime's supply before it changes, becomes more expensive or obsolete.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by safeshot » 11 Jul 2022, 9:44 pm

I have gut feeling that a lot of the ammo we get is floor sweepings.
I bought a big box of eley supposed to be good stuff and it was anything but. A number of the rounds ; well, you could see them as the went up the range to hit l-o-w-e-r on the target.
and i have a gut feeling that the large 'economy' boxes are of the f.s. variety.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 4:46 am

safeshot wrote:I have gut feeling that a lot of the ammo we get is floor sweepings.
I bought a big box of eley supposed to be good stuff and it was anything but. A number of the rounds ; well, you could see them as the went up the range to hit l-o-w-e-r on the target.
and i have a gut feeling that the large 'economy' boxes are of the f.s. variety.

The only "big box" Eley offers is Standard, and it is very low quality compared to everything else they offer - whoever told you it was good stuff was mistaken.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles