22lr or 17hmr rifle?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

22lr or 17hmr rifle?

Post by Goshawk » 01 May 2014, 6:43 am

Hi all

I'm trying to work out to get either a 22 lr or a 17hmr.

I haven't had too much experience with 22lr but a heap with 17's. Are 22 good enough for foxes? If so, what sort of range could I expect for it to be effective? How far for hares and bunnies?

Only real reason I'm considering a 22 is the fact they are a lot quieter than 17's when subsonic rounds are used. I have a several acres 30k north of Canberra with a winery next door. Rabbits, hares and foxes filter over to my land at times.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: 22lr or 17hmr rifle?

Post by WesleySnipes » 01 May 2014, 8:16 am

As you've had experience with the .17hmr you'll know it's quite a handy capable little cartridge, but so is .22lr when used appropriately.

.22lr ammunition is much cheaper, plentiful, and is definitely capable if you note the cartridges limitations. Personally I don't take my .22 out further than around 150, and that's pushing it especially on a windy day. Out any further than that subsonics energy just drops too much to ensure consistent kills on foxes in my opinion, so I'd just grab my .223 and job done.

While the .17hmr is an amazing round with a flat trajectory and ballistically superior to the .22lr, I would never purchase one even though it does everything better in the field.

I guess the reason for this is I know the .22's boundaries and rarely push unless mucking around slapping targets 2-300 metres away. Most encounters with small game and vermin will be close enough the .22 will instantly put lights out and so will a .17hmr.

It's up to you I guess, I stick with a .22 because it works, the .17 just does it better.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 01 May 2014, 9:50 am

Goshawk wrote:Are 22 good enough for foxes? If so, what sort of range could I expect for it to be effective? How far for hares and bunnies?

Range is everything of course.

For consistent accuracy and power for the 22LR I think 80m is about right.

You can push it out further with results obviously, but to know you'll hit and get a quick kill each time I think 100m is a reasonable limit for consistency.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sha » 01 May 2014, 9:53 am

There is always super-sonic ammo like the Stinger stuff to reach a bit further with the 22LR if you need it too.
Savage Axis The Definition of Accuracy

Savage 93 .22 WMR
Savage 93R17 .17 HMR
Savage 110FP .308 WIN
sha
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by VICHunter » 01 May 2014, 9:54 am

WesleySnipes wrote:Most encounters with small game and vermin will be close enough the .22 will instantly put lights

I reckon that's right.

Rabbits certainly, 40m - 60m is about the norm in my experience.

Foxes can be more cautious keeping distance, but that's what fox whistles are for ;)
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 01 May 2014, 9:56 am

sha wrote:There is always super-sonic ammo like the Stinger stuff to reach a bit further with the 22LR if you need it too.

Loss of accuracy at the longer ranges with the HV stuff is the potential catch there though.

Others must be having some better luck than me, but I couldn't get any high-velocity to group well with my 22.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 01 May 2014, 9:56 am

VICHunter wrote:Foxes can be more cautious keeping distance, but that's what fox whistles are for ;)

A good whistle and a dumb fox will bring you 10m away from it ;)
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Goshawk » 01 May 2014, 11:31 am

I have found 17's to be extremely effective past 100m on bunnies and foxes (turns their skulls into a bag of marbles), my 243w is "effective" well over this range too (smoking remains and me wondering where most of the critter disappeared too).
If 22lr are good for 100m it should fulfil my requirements as a small quiet walkabout plinker.
Now, to order a Savage MK2 FVSR!

Oh, what magnification is suitable for 22lr due to its limited range? X7-x9?
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by WesleySnipes » 01 May 2014, 11:45 am

I ALWAYS run my .22lr with fixed x4. No point messing around with all the variable scopes unless you're target shooting I reckon.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 01 May 2014, 6:39 pm

I got a 3x9x40 scope on my .22lr. Most of the time, it sits on 9x zoom but there's the odd occasion where the lower mag is more suitable for scub or close range.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 01 May 2014, 6:51 pm

I too run a variable scope on my .22 lr.
Most of the time it sits on X9 but in close country it is wound down to to X4. A fixed power is fine but I suggest nothing over 9 power. Buy quality first time and you will not regret it.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by tom604 » 01 May 2014, 7:11 pm

if there is any wind around a 22 will go all over the place at a 100 mtr, 50 mtr and you can tack hole it all day :) and if you are shooting freehand 50 mtr is a doable shot on a rabbit, at a 100 not so much :( if your going to sit over a warren and snipe them its not so much of a problem. every one should own a 22, its cheap to shoot and learn on plus they are great fun when you are with your mates and doing the im a better shot than you thing :D
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Michael63 » 01 May 2014, 7:54 pm

A nice wood stocked bolt .22 shooting quiet subsonic with a redfeild scope,a sunny autumn afternoon . Walking around looking for a steady rest to take care of some wiley vermin,or trying to get in that little bit closer within range. or spotting a fox 15 m which is looking at you . Wish I was there.
Michael63
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Fujix » 01 May 2014, 8:35 pm

You can always get the heavier ammo like the 42gr Winchester subsonics too if you want a little more damage on target for the foxes.
Barrett M82 .50 calibre... Ok, not really :(
Fujix
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusC » 01 May 2014, 8:38 pm

Michael63 wrote:a sunny autumn afternoon

Don't come to Victoria now to hunt then.

Miserable and freezing here lately :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 02 May 2014, 1:44 pm

Yup,

We had plans to go out this weekend for the night.

Waaay to cold for that.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles