Looking for info on old .22, stamped "MAINE"

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Looking for info on old .22, stamped "MAINE"

Post by Athol » 16 Jul 2022, 3:26 pm

I have an old.22 single shot that I inherited from my father, I’ve had it in my safe for years now and was thinking of passing it on to my son (40yr old)
I’m after some info on it to find out age and origin etc.
it has “MAINE” stamped on top of the barrel and some other markings that I have photographed
5502AFCB-6A13-4A6F-AFFA-383F79DE18B8.jpeg
5502AFCB-6A13-4A6F-AFFA-383F79DE18B8.jpeg (688.16 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

5626115B-9A97-41E3-8D86-9F8720FCF83D.jpeg
5626115B-9A97-41E3-8D86-9F8720FCF83D.jpeg (265.03 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

If anyone could help, thanks Athol
Athol
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Looking for info on old .22, stamped "MAINE"

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Jul 2022, 4:24 pm

G'day Athol,
You have a German made rifle for the trade, manufactured prior to the Proof Law of 1939 and sold to retailers all over the world, mostly to Mail Order companies in the US such as Sears & Roebuck which would explain the use of "Maine" in the photo. Without searching all the various catalogues it would be difficult to track down exactly which retailer sold this rifle, not impossible, but time consuming, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Jul 2022, 10:31 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day Athol,
You have a German made rifle for the trade, manufactured prior to the Proof Law of 1939 and sold to retailers all over the world, mostly to Mail Order companies in the US such as Sears & Roebuck which would explain the use of "Maine" in the photo. Without searching all the various catalogues it would be difficult to track down exactly which retailer sold this rifle, not impossible, but time consuming, Cheers.

Fk, your a wealth of information. Can't believe what you know.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Spanky » 27 Jan 2023, 7:07 pm

Hey mate, I have the same gun, I'm currently trying to track down more information also.
Spanky
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 27 Jan 2023, 7:19 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

He’s honestly the most knowledgeable on the forum.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Derek5600 » 12 Feb 2024, 5:41 am

Hi Athol, not to disagree with the others but I'm Canadian and I think what you have is a cooey. Here cooey has a a big following and one of the exported cooeys to Australia (among others) is the " Maine" model in 22 . I think the other marks are export import marks. Another example is the "rabbit" would love some more pics for the fellows back here as we don't see these very often. If you would send me some derek.quesnel@hotmail.com we all would appreciate it
Derek
Derek5600
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Feb 2024, 11:57 am

Derek5600 wrote:Hi Athol, not to disagree with the others but I'm Canadian and I think what you have is a cooey. Here cooey has a a big following and one of the exported cooeys to Australia (among others) is the " Maine" model in 22 . I think the other marks are export import marks. Another example is the "rabbit" would love some more pics for the fellows back here as we don't see these very often. If you would send me some derek.quesnel@hotmail.com we all would appreciate it
Derek

G'day Derek, the 3 known pre-1939 German Proof marks show the rifle as German.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Maxjon » 15 Feb 2024, 4:00 pm

Shootermick wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

He’s honestly the most knowledgeable on the forum.

Yes he is very knowledgeable! Top man too!
Maxjon
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles