Gamo Co2 air rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Gamo Co2 air rifle

Post by 6878mm » 22 Jul 2022, 4:57 am

Hello
I need information about Co2 bottles that fit gamo air rifles

I am unsure what I really need to ask, one thing is.....are the fittings on the bottle a standard thread<< Are the bottles re- fillable??, and where could I start to look for a manual and schematic for them,
I realise that I need model numbers, Oh and allso, who is the Australian agent for them

Please PM me if you wish AND thankyou for any assistance that anybody gives me
i realise this is a bit vague, but I will be more specific when I can understand more
6878mm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Gamo Co2 air rifle

Post by No1_49er » 22 Jul 2022, 6:56 am

Are you sure that what you are asking about is CO2 powered "air" rifles?
Gamo do make CO2 powered pistols but the rifles are PCP, which means that they are powered by a cylinder of compressed air (Pre-Charged Pneumatic). Those cylinders are pressurised (usually) to somewhere around 3,000 PSI, and are subject to a statutory inspection procedure, much as an LPG bottle is. They are often refilled by connecting to a dive bottle, or directly from a dedicated compressor. The air should be passed through a drying medium to remove any possibility of moisture being deposited in the cylinder where corrosion may become present, unseen. Hence the need for periodic testing, just as is a dive bottle.

CO2 cartridges can be hard to track down, and are something of a redundant technology, given the advent of the PCP.
Gamo CO2 pistols here https://www.gamo.com/en/air-pistols/co2-pistols/ You will see that their CO2 pistols use those cartridges to retain the original profile of the pistol they are trying to emulate.
Gamo "air" rifles here https://www.gamo.com/en/air-rifles/

Google is your friend; search for CO2 and PCP air-pistols, and you will find a plethora of brands and styles available.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by 6878mm » 22 Jul 2022, 8:01 am

Thankyou very much, that answer was EXACTLY the sort of thing that I was after, thanks again
6878mm
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jul 2022, 12:05 pm

6878mm wrote:Hello
I need information about Co2 bottles that fit gamo air rifles

I am unsure what I really need to ask, one thing is.....are the fittings on the bottle a standard thread<< Are the bottles re- fillable??, and where could I start to look for a manual and schematic for them,
I realise that I need model numbers, Oh and allso, who is the Australian agent for them

Please PM me if you wish AND thankyou for any assistance that anybody gives me
i realise this is a bit vague, but I will be more specific when I can understand more

I Googled Gamo and as already mentioned, I don't see any CO2 rifles listed.
I have the Umarex Ruger 10/22 in .177", which is a CO2 rifle.
https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=11982
It uses two 12-gram cartridges - available on Ebay for about $80 delivered for 50 cartridges last time I ordered them.

They don't have any thread, they are punctured when you tighten whatever system of clamping is used to hold them in the firearm. In the 10/22 you drop one cartridge into the butt stock nose first, then a second tail first. When you tighten down the clamp both bottles are punctured. It gives about 80 full-power shots (about 4-cents a shot for the gas) so it makes it about twice as expensive to shoot with cheap pellets compared to a spring or gas strut design (if you're into the more exotic $40/200 pellets the gas cost becomes more tolerable). CO2 can only be compressed so far which also puts a hard limit on how much velocity they can make - I think about 650fps is the max possible with .177" pellets, and about 500fps in .22". Fine for plinking cans at close ranges and getting the rats out of the trees around the house, but for any real purpose, like target shooting or small pests you're really better getting a gas strut rifle up in the 900-1000fps range.

The 16gm cartridges used in emergency tyre inflators are threaded, and I think some firearm designs do use them.
I have seen 88gm cartridges but I think they are for rifles specifically made for them as they do screw into the firearm.

I have seen re-fillable 12gm cartridges but haven't tried them myself. I think they were about $40 each when I looked at them. I would need two of them, and when they're empty I would have to refill them before I could continue shooting. I'm finding the standard cartridges just fine as I can grab a handful when I go shooting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles