anyone own a chiappa little badger 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

anyone own a chiappa little badger 22lr

Post by mickb » 09 Aug 2022, 11:08 pm

Just wondering how they go and whether they get any sort of small game accuracy to 40m yards? I actually owned one of the double badgers( 22LR/410ga combo) which looked very attractive but was a warranty nightmare and never grouped with anything.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: anyone own a chiappa little badger 22lr

Post by TigerPigeon » 10 Aug 2022, 12:14 am

Interested to hear, the little badger looks like a cool little gun.
TigerPigeon
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by womble » 10 Aug 2022, 4:03 am

I have one in 22 mag.
I don’t now how you rate accuracy but if you put in on a rest I think you’ll find it better than expected.
It’s a question that many have asked of the gun and many are pleasantly surprised.

Consider its format . Single shot 22 at 40m. You can’t really go too far wrong.
If there’s a problem it’s the operator or crap ammo.
I doubt anyone has ever shot the barrel out of one.

That said, it’s a chiappa. I love the brand and the stuff they make, but they are known for making the occasional lemon.
Last edited by womble on 10 Aug 2022, 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Aug 2022, 4:03 am

TigerPigeon wrote:Interested to hear, the little badger looks like a cool little gun.

It is a cool gun 8-)
It’s bare bones simplicity is it’s charm.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 10 Aug 2022, 4:36 am

womble wrote:I have one in 22 mag.
I don’t now how you rate accuracy but if you put in on a rest I think you’ll find it better than expected.
It’s a question that many have asked of the gun and many are pleasantly surprised.

Consider its format . Single shot 22 at 40m. You can’t really go too far wrong.
If there’s a problem it’s the operator or crap ammo.
I doubt anyone has ever shot the barrel out of one.

That said, it’s a chiappa. I love the brand and the stuff they make, but they are known for making the occasional lemon.

Thanks Womble I'll count that as a plus vote then. Reason I am wary is my double badger was the worst firearm I have owned. Misfires, over sized firing pin and other issues, 2 x warranty fixes, also couldnt handle ultra high velocity 22LR ammo, cases would stick and need to be pushed out via a cleaning rod in the muzzle end. I tried all ammo types I had in it, cheap rem bucket-o-bullets to stingers to lapua and eley and it never got minute of coke can at 50yds. The LGS wont even stock chiappas anymore.

The little badger is in a class of its own for light weight and day-packable hence taking another look at the brand.

Be interested to see if anyone has run the faster stuff through them and had them extract ok aka cci stingers, velocitors, rem yellow jackets etc....
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 10 Aug 2022, 5:07 am

After my double badger experience I'd steer well clear of anything chiappa myself.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Fionn » 10 Aug 2022, 8:38 am

I have one in 22lr, it will shoot about .5 - 1 MOA at 50m. Although not the easiest rifle to shoot for accuracy due to size, weight and stock design.

The trigger is really good for such a rifle, better then you would think.

Handles all ammo types with no issues.

The sights are plastic, but ok for that they are. The rails are also plastic and no good for mounting optics on if you want consistent accuracy. But they can be upgraded with after market parts.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 10 Aug 2022, 12:29 pm

Is Chiappa made in Italy or Brazil? I can't seem to find a straight answer?
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 10 Aug 2022, 1:40 pm

They are made in Italy.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 10 Aug 2022, 6:50 pm

Bullszeye, they are Italian mate.

bigpete wrote:After my double badger experience I'd steer well clear of anything chiappa myself.

Yeah mate its what has me in two minds to be honest. Also on reviews you see the yanks extolling the virtues of them and report okay accuracy but you wait to hear what range it was shot at and its usually 25 yards. One fella accuracy tested his at 17 feet :wtf:

Womble, did you measure any groups with yours?

A larger gunstore I went to said they have sold about 80 with only 1 warranty return(apparently) but the proviso there is how many of those customers actually hunt with it? The main market he says are guys using them as finishers, butchering tools or novelties
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Fionn » 10 Aug 2022, 7:29 pm

mickb wrote:A larger gunstore I went to said they have sold about 80 with only 1 warranty return(apparently) but the proviso there is how many of those customers actually hunt with it? The main market he says are guys using them as finishers, butchering tools or novelties

A member here had a issue fixed under warranty.

I hunt with it,

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 14 Aug 2022, 7:43 pm

I was at the gun shop yesterday and the sales guy told me Chiappa’s are made in Brazil, not Italy.

I’m confused lol..
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 14 Aug 2022, 8:01 pm

bullzeye wrote:I was at the gun shop yesterday and the sales guy told me Chiappa’s are made in Brazil, not Italy.

I’m confused lol..

Maybe they're confused with Rossi?
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Fionn » 14 Aug 2022, 8:11 pm

bullzeye wrote:I was at the gun shop yesterday and the sales guy told me Chiappa’s are made in Brazil, not Italy.

I’m confused lol..

I suggest you find a more knowledgeable gun shop. You can see Italy stamped on my rifle in the picture above.

Also if you visit there website you will see the proudly display FAMILY OWNED - SINCE 1958 - MADE IN ITALY

Or here is a video explaining about the company including how and where they are made.

https://youtu.be/LM_NEc5iAf4
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bullzeye » 15 Aug 2022, 7:56 pm

Fionn wrote:

I’m confused lol..

I suggest you find a more knowledgeable gun shop. You can see Italy stamped on my rifle in the picture above.

Also if you visit there website you will see the proudly display FAMILY OWNED - SINCE 1958 - MADE IN ITALY

Or here is a video explaining about the company including how and where they are made.

https://youtu.be/LM_NEc5iAf4

Ah yes, I’ve zoomed in. I can see the Italy engraving.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles