Shorter barrel performance?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Shorter barrel performance?

Post by S O K A R » 27 Aug 2022, 6:45 pm

Would an 18" barrel on a rimfire such as a 22 wmr sacrifice much performance (mainly accuracy) over say a 22" barrel?
I do prefer 18" as it makes it easier shooting from the car, just curious what I am losing performance wise
Anyone ever looked into this?
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Shorter barrel performance?

Post by bladeracer » 27 Aug 2022, 7:45 pm

S O K A R wrote:Would an 18" barrel on a rimfire such as a 22 wmr sacrifice much performance (mainly accuracy) over say a 22" barrel?
I do prefer 18" as it makes it easier shooting from the car, just curious what I am losing performance wise

Barrel length has no direct impact on accuracy, though it can be a poor match to the ammunition you're using sometimes.
You could potentially be down 100fps, or you could be losing nothing at all, depending on the ammo you're using.
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22mag.html

For field shooting there is an argument that a longer barrel means more time for you to move the rifle before the bullet has left the muzzle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 27 Aug 2022, 9:22 pm

And to a degree shorter barrels should vibrate less. Other than the hyper velocity .22 stuff, an 18 inch barrel may well improve velocity.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by scoot » 27 Aug 2022, 9:46 pm

General "word on the street" says .22lr has gained most or all of its velocity by 16" or 18" (can't recall exactly). As eluded to above there are other forces in play when it comes to accuracy. May loose a touch of velocity going shorter but may gain accuracy.
Trimmed a 26" .308 down to 18" and unscientifically I feel it's actually more accurate. Be it harmonics or placebo effect. It's definitely not any worse.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Aug 2022, 9:56 pm

Bust out the hacksaw, unless your using open sights you've got nothing to loose.

Only the best of competitive shooters, shooting from a bench with top notch ammo could pick the difference.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by S O K A R » 28 Aug 2022, 9:13 pm

scoot wrote:Trimmed a 26" .308 down to 18" and unscientifically I feel it's actually more accurate. Be it harmonics or placebo effect. It's definitely not any worse.

Funny you should say that, I don't really have anything to compare with but I have a ruger american compact (243) that I've been getting surprisingly good groupings with...
Pretty sure its not operator skill :lol:

bladeracer wrote:
S O K A R wrote:Would an 18" barrel on a rimfire such as a 22 wmr sacrifice much performance (mainly accuracy) over say a 22" barrel?

Barrel length has no direct impact on accuracy, though it can be a poor match to the ammunition you're using sometimes.
You could potentially be down 100fps, or you could be losing nothing at all, depending on the ammo you're using.

For field shooting there is an argument that a longer barrel means more time for you to move the rifle before the bullet has left the muzzle.

Interesting, I've been using the cci v-max 30gr from my cz 515 (21") with pretty tight groupings
Be interesting to see how an 18" fairs with the same ammo
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 29 Aug 2022, 2:38 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Bust out the hacksaw, unless your using open sights you've got nothing to loose.

Only the best of competitive shooters, shooting from a bench with top notch ammo could pick the difference.

Totally agree !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Larry » 29 Aug 2022, 4:36 pm

If shorter barrels increased performance in some ways there would be a lot more rifles produced with the minimum legal barrel length. I remember reading one article /experiment using a 22LR and differing barrel lengths the conclusion was that 21 inches was the optimum length for the 22. Personally I would always err on the longer side ie a 24 inch on a 22 I do have shorter rifles in 22 but I find them to be not as accurate although lighter and seem to be easier to point but even off hand shooting I get better results with my longer rifles.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2022, 6:46 pm

Larry wrote:If shorter barrels increased performance in some ways there would be a lot more rifles produced with the minimum legal barrel length. I remember reading one article /experiment using a 22LR and differing barrel lengths the conclusion was that 21 inches was the optimum length for the 22. Personally I would always err on the longer side ie a 24 inch on a 22 I do have shorter rifles in 22 but I find them to be not as accurate although lighter and seem to be easier to point but even off hand shooting I get better results with my longer rifles.

Depends entirely on what ammo you want to use. Subsonic ammo makes optimal velocity in short barrels, like 16"-18", hyper-velocity ammo makes optimal velocity in longer barrels, like 25" or more. With CCI Standard Velocity I got the same measured velocity in 18.5", 20" and 25" barrels. This thread though is about WMR so you would expect longer barrels to get more out of the cartridge.

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=13101
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 Aug 2022, 9:51 pm

Out if interest, what make / model are you looking at hacking ?

I almost hacked my Lithgow single shot the other night but quickly realised it would be extremely difficult to reload with a scope fitted.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by S O K A R » 29 Aug 2022, 11:28 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Out if interest, what make / model are you looking at hacking ?

No Hacking
Was looking at getting a ruger american (either a standard or compact) for a scrub gun/something that can throw into the ute and not have to care about
Kind of grew attached to the cz :problem:
Compact would suit my needs better hence the question, only around $650 new from memory
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by deye243 » 30 Aug 2022, 1:53 am

S O K A R wrote:Interesting, I've been using the cci v-max 30gr from my cz 515 (21") with pretty tight groupings

Just wondering what your interpretation of grouping is
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Aug 2022, 8:16 am

S O K A R wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:Out if interest, what make / model are you looking at hacking ?

No Hacking
Was looking at getting a ruger american (either a standard or compact) for a scrub gun/something that can throw into the ute and not have to care about
Kind of grew attached to the cz :problem:
Compact would suit my needs better hence the question, only around $650 new from memory

The Ruger American Compact polymer is perfect for that I reckon, shorter than the standard 18", iron sights, plastic stock.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by S O K A R » 30 Aug 2022, 3:57 pm

deye243 wrote:
S O K A R wrote:Interesting, I've been using the cci v-max 30gr from my cz 515 (21") with pretty tight groupings

Just wondering what your interpretation of grouping is

I'd be happy with anything sub moa tbh, but in the case of the cz been getting groupings pretty much bang on half an inch give or take..I'm no precision shooter, but I'm happy with that
S O K A R
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Aug 2022, 7:04 pm

I took to my CZ 22 with a hack saw and cleaned up the crown with some valve grinding paste. It shot under 1\2 an inch at 50 metres after my butchery.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 31 Aug 2022, 2:34 pm

My girlfriend keeps trying to reassure me that it's not the length of the barrel but how you use it.

Sorry, it's in me and just keeps getting out :oops:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by paddyoh » 31 Aug 2022, 7:53 pm

I have a ruger american compact in hmr17 with an 18inch barrel and use hornady 17 gr V-MAX polymer tip ammo through it and it groups as good as any rifle i have shot
paddyoh
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Larry » 01 Sep 2022, 9:18 am

Just a coincidence yesterday Paul Harrell released a UT video Optimum Barrel Length for 22lr Rifles. Haven't watched it yet so no spoilers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxvg6xGFvZ8
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 01 Sep 2022, 4:02 pm

Larry wrote:Just a coincidence yesterday Paul Harrell released a UT video Optimum Barrel Length for 22lr Rifles. Haven't watched it yet so no spoilers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxvg6xGFvZ8

Yes, my first thought was to post it, but I watched it first and was disappointed, nothing like a test I'd expect from Paul.
He only tested two high-velocity ammos in the 1200-1300fps region (in his defence he rarely shoots any subsonic ammo at all), and the Stinger, (then declares the results apply to "most ammunitions"), only in semi-auto rifles (tends to reduce velocities already), with barrels from 16.5" to 22", so essentially minor variations on a single design - hardly definitive. It's the ammunition that determines the velocity in any given rimfire barrel, not the rifle.

I suspect that enough people will point this out to him, requiring a "Part Two" :-)

It was good in that he agrees that barrel length is largely irrelevant to performance when choosing your rifle though. Even if getting up to 25" or more does cost you some velocity, or add some velocity, how well you can shoot with that rifle is way more important than the velocity.

Other than a very rudimentary two 4" 10rd groups offhand at 50 yards with two different rifles using the same ammo he didn't really venture into whether barrel length may have any benefit on accuracy. These are terrible groups compared to what Paul can shoot offhand with his peep-sight 10/22 so these are more likely a mismatch of ammo and rifle than an indication of anything the barrel length might cause.

If you want to hunt with subsonic ammo use a shorter barrel to retain as much velocity as you can, in a longer barrel the velocity may drop enough that at your hunting distances the bullets may no longer deform. If you want to use really high-velocity stuff use a longer barrel, in a 16"-18" barrel the Stingers, Copper-22 and Yellow Jackets might not make any more velocity than much cheaper high-velocity ammo.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 03 Sep 2022, 8:50 am

Pauls video was pretty lame I agree. Perhaps this one will be more interesting a 308 with a 6ft barrel progressively shortened.
https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threa ... 8.4073956/
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Biscuits » 01 Oct 2022, 1:51 pm

As you ask about 22WMR, here is a partial answer as the longest barrel tested is 19 inch

My take on it is no velocity loss with a 40gr bullet going to 18 inch, on a WMR.

Small velocity loss with a lighter bullet.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles