Vostok/Baikal

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Vostok/Baikal

Post by northdude » 27 Aug 2022, 8:28 pm

got a voucher for my bday from the kids from lgs. Went in today and came out with a Vostok/Baikal toz 12 from what I can work out. Its a heavy barrel single shot 22lr target rifle. Its had weaver dovetail blocks fitted to it and Ive since mounted a 3-9x40 scope on it ready for the next trip to the farm, Anyone heard of or got one of these.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Re: Vostok/Baikal

Post by northdude » 29 Aug 2022, 5:06 am

Had it apart over weekend and gave all the mating surfaces in the trigger and sear assy a polish up. Feels really good now. Cant wait to get it out and try it
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Sep 2022, 12:48 pm

TOZ 12.jpg
TOZ 12.jpg (322.76 KiB) Viewed 1394 times
These were made as an improved version of the 8M target rifles, I bought one from Sportways when they were in Commerce St in the 70's and used it for Smallbore until I got an International Martini BSA. They can shoot very well, and were fitted with a diopter rear and tunnel foresight at Tula.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 03 Sep 2022, 4:51 pm

How did it compare accuracy wise with the bsa? Theres not much info on them that I can find
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 06 Sep 2022, 12:11 pm

northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Border_Bloke » 06 Sep 2022, 1:26 pm

Baikal .22's were the fairly common in the 80's and 90's before they put trade sanctions on Russia.
I had a TOZ-17 in the 80's and it was really accurate for a cheap rifle. I still remember the smell of the oil they used on these.

I've seen a few of the target model you have but never handled one. Apparently the TOZ-12 was designed as a cadet rifle. It is an improved TOZ-8M (according to Wikipedia it was designed by D. M. Kochetov and came with the aperture sight as standard).
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 06 Sep 2022, 3:11 pm

My first air rifle was a baikal. Man did I shoot some stuff with that.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 06 Sep 2022, 5:02 pm

Ij38 if i remember correctly
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by northdude » 10 Sep 2022, 5:00 pm

Tried this thing out today and with the limited budget ammo I had this thing shot really well. Im sure if you had the time and a good seletction of different ammo this would be up there as far as being able to do well in club level target shooting. You just wouldnt win any beauty contests with it thats all
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles