Dovetail scope rings

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Dovetail scope rings

Post by Lazarus » 11 Sep 2022, 2:16 pm

I'm wearing multi-focals these days which means open sights are totally useless to me.
I can focus on the rear sight and can't see the front and vice-vesra and without the specs, can't see anything but blur :roll:

Having a few spare scopes I decided to put one on my BSA Super Meteor for indoor plinking on days like today when it's clear and sunny but blowing a bloody gale.
One of the scopes came with dovetail mounts but they're alloy and when I tried to tighten them they popped out of the grooves and chipped the sharp edges off them.

I've just done some googling for a steel set but the prices seem a bit silly, as in ~$90 delivered.

Does anyone use them or have any suggestions?

I've had a look at the grooves on the rifle with a loupe and they look ok but I can't rule them out as part of the problem.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Re: Dovetail scope rings

Post by bladeracer » 11 Sep 2022, 2:28 pm

Lazarus wrote:I'm wearing multi-focals these days which means open sights are totally useless to me.
I can focus on the rear sight and can't see the front and vice-vesra and without the specs, can't see anything but blur :roll:

Having a few spare scopes I decided to put one on my BSA Super Meteor for indoor plinking on days like today when it's clear and sunny but blowing a bloody gale.
One of the scopes came with dovetail mounts but they're alloy and when I tried to tighten them they popped out of the grooves and chipped the sharp edges off them.

I've just done some googling for a steel set but the prices seem a bit silly, as in ~$90 delivered.

Does anyone use them or have any suggestions?

I've had a look at the grooves on the rifle with a loupe and they look ok but I can't rule them out as part of the problem.

All of my rings are aluminium, except two steel Lynx one-piece mounts that came on Swede Mausers.
I think the biggest issue with dovetail mounts is many of them are not cut high enough to reach over the curve of the receiver. If that's the case get a round file and file out the middle until they fit when seated on the bottom surfaces of the dove-tail.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 11 Sep 2022, 2:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:All of my rings are aluminium, except two steel Lynx one-piece mounts that came on Swede Mausers.
I think the biggest issue with dovetail mounts is many of them are not cut high enough to reach over the curve of the receiver. If that's the case get a round file and file out the middle until they fit when seated on the bottom surfaces of the dove-tail.

Thanks Blade, I never even considered looking at that :clap: :drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 11 Sep 2022, 4:12 pm

Unfortunately that's not the problem, there's 3mm of clearance.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Sep 2022, 4:17 pm

Lazarus wrote:Unfortunately that's not the problem, there's 3mm of clearance.

I can't visualise what the issue could be then, sorry.
Can you post pics of the dove tail and the jaws of the rings?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NTSOG » 12 Sep 2022, 7:14 am

G'day Lazarus,

Is this an accurate picture of your BSA air gun looking down at the dovetails?

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.com/i ... 38e3e6.jpg

Or is it this model which has longer dovetails:

https://www.vintageairgunsgallery.com/i ... 646e89.jpg

I haven't handled any BSA air guns but I wonder if there were special mounts made just to fit for some [early?] BSA models? On my various air rifles I mostly use BKL but also some Sportsmatch rings on the rifles of lower power. As the BSA is a UK air gun I wonder if Sportsmatch makes [or made] a set of rings to fit the two-section dovetail being a British company. On the other hand a BKL mount might fit and 'stick' in position if your rifle has extended dovetails. Spring air rifles are great for destroying scopes and dislodging them from where they have been mounted. That's why I use the BKL mount [below] on my springers. They don't move even on my air rifles shooting close to 20 ft.pds.

https://www.bkltech.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BKL-460-2.jpg

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 12 Sep 2022, 7:57 am

G'day Jim

Thanks for that input, the second pic is the one.

I know what you mean about springers, this one has destroyed 2 old fashioned 4x25 cheapos many years ago and has as you say, flung them off, so I went back to the open sights.

I rarely use it now because of the multifocals except for the occasional rat.
I love the look of the mount you posted.
While I'm brain picking, do you have any suggestions on a scope choice, considering it will only get minimal use?
:drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 12 Sep 2022, 8:07 am

You can get scopes designed for springer air rifles that can take the shock that's involved. Apart from mounts, springers will destroy the internals of a scope as well.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 12 Sep 2022, 8:55 am

G'day Lazarus,

Choosing a scope for a springer is tricky as Gamerancher states: some years ago I mounted a Bushnell Banner scope on an old FWB 127 [.22] air rifle which was shooting at 650 fps only. The Banner scope was rated as safe for air rifles by Bushnell. It took only three shots for the scope's 'guts' to be destroyed. Have a look at Arctic Fox air rifle scopes. I have a couple and they are holding up well on big springer air rifles, e.g. HW 80 [.177] and HW 90 [.20].

https://arcticfoxoptics.com.au/product- ... le-scopes/

The BKL one piece ring mount is the best I know. It's self-centering and has 6 bolts which really do lock it in place. It costs a bit and you will need to check the width of the dovetail before buying one.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 12 Sep 2022, 9:25 am

I've learned the hard way that "buy once, cry once" is the way to go with most things.

Bargain or budget is usually directly translatable to cheap and nasty or even fake.

A case in point, I've been looking for some new waterproof hunting/military boots and found a site calling itself Dannerbootsonline.
The prices were half what the Danner factory site advertises.
Turns out it's the Chinese, again, selling nothing and set up to harvest card numbers.

It's fair enough to have to find reviews of products, silly if you don't, but now we have to get reviews of the sellers as well :roll:

Thanks Jim, Gamerancher,
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 12 Sep 2022, 11:50 am

Hawke scopes if you have them over there are airgun rated and seem a good scope
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Lazarus » 12 Sep 2022, 12:32 pm

G'day northdude

Love the Hawkes, I've got a 10-50×60 Sidewinder on my .223 and it's magic.

I looked at them 1st but $400 is a bit more than I'm looking to spend just for random wet day plinking, but I appreciate the input. :drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 12 Sep 2022, 12:46 pm

Nikko stirling are supposed to be airgun rated as well. Not sure which ones tho
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by NTSOG » 12 Sep 2022, 2:26 pm

G'day,

I had Hawke scopes on two powerful spring air guns and the reticles became unstable for want of a better term. That is, the reticles were in the correct place sort of, but seemed to move a bit. I junked both. Perhaps they're better now; that was a few years ago.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 12 Sep 2022, 3:20 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

I had Hawke scopes on two powerful spring air guns and the reticles became unstable for want of a better term. That is, the reticles were in the correct place sort of, but seemed to move a bit. I junked both. Perhaps they're better now; that was a few years ago.

Jim

I could be wrong here, but I think they all have etched reticles now.
My Sidewinder does and so does the Airmax range.

Am I correct in thinking that would eliminate any movement?
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Tiger650 » 12 Sep 2022, 3:34 pm

If you can find a Bushnell 4x12 Trophy it will make a good air rifle scope.
The BKL mount NTSOG posted is what you will need [not want] to keep a scope on a springer air rifle.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Sep 2022, 3:34 pm

FWIW,
I just looked at the Arctic Fox site and could see no mention of the word, "Warranty".
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 12 Sep 2022, 4:20 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:FWIW,
I just looked at the Arctic Fox site and could see no mention of the word, "Warranty".

https://arcticfoxoptics.com.au/product/ ... fle-scope/
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 12 Sep 2022, 4:49 pm

Arctic Fox: "Limited Lifetime Warranty" - Does that mean the warranty expires when I drop dead?

So far my Arctic Fox scopes are 5 plus years old and are holding up as is a Leapers UTG Bugbuster scope on a very accurate Anschutz 335 low-power air rifle that I use to eliminate pest birds [swallows] in my big machinery shed. I get sick of the beggars pooping on my machinery and tools:

https://www.4komma5.de/media/image/prod ... ehen~2.jpg

The Bugbuster I have is illuminated which is a blessing in a very large shed with a high roof and poor lighting. I have a couple of Leapers scopes. They're pretty good.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by northdude » 12 Sep 2022, 6:12 pm

what use is the warranty to you once your dead
got an arctic fox scope that came on a rifle I bought had never even heard of them before so thought this wont last long. 10 years later....
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by NTSOG » 12 Sep 2022, 6:40 pm

"what use is the warranty to you once your dead"

Stop being so sensible. Maybe I believe in reincarnation!

Arctic Fox scopes aren't flash, but I'm happy with mine.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 12 Sep 2022, 6:53 pm

Lazarus wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:FWIW,

https://arcticfoxoptics.com.au/product/ ... fle-scope/

Thank you Lazarus; I see it now under Description
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Billo » 12 Sep 2022, 8:27 pm

Hey Lazarus Ive just gone thru my bag of spare rimfire rings and I found and old set of steel Redman rings which have a lovely sharp edge that should get a good bite on ur dovetail, send me a pm with ur address and Ill send em off tmw. They are of no use to me so they may as well go to a new home :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 13 Sep 2022, 9:39 am

Billo wrote:Hey Lazarus Ive just gone thru my bag of spare rimfire rings and I found and old set of steel Redman rings which have a lovely sharp edge that should get a good bite on ur dovetail, send me a pm with ur address and Ill send em off tmw. They are of no use to me so they may as well go to a new home :thumbsup:

:clap:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles