Scope for LA101 WMR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Scope for LA101 WMR

Post by Greybeard » 12 Sep 2022, 2:05 pm

Hi,
I'm new here so go easy please,
I have just purchased a LA101 WMR and already have a scope for it, NF 5.5x24x56 and was wondering if I can or could use it for both target shooting and feral pest shooting?
For target shooting (bench) it will be fine, but the weight is an issue for field work.
Or would I be better off mounting it on my .222 and mounting a much lighter in weight scope on my LA101?
I also have a Weaver 3x9 scope which is a fraction of the weight of the NF scope.
Cheers
Greybeard
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Scope for LA101 WMR

Post by Lazarus » 16 Sep 2022, 8:37 am

Greybeard wrote:Hi,
I'm new here so go easy please,
I have just purchased a LA101 WMR and already have a scope for it, NF 5.5x24x56 and was wondering if I can or could use it for both target shooting and feral pest shooting?
For target shooting (bench) it will be fine, but the weight is an issue for field work.
Or would I be better off mounting it on my .222 and mounting a much lighter in weight scope on my LA101?
I also have a Weaver 3x9 scope which is a fraction of the weight of the NF scope.
Cheers

G'day Greybeard

If you want a scope for a short range walkabout rifle like a WMR lighter is almost always better in my opinion.
I made the mistake of fitting a big heavy 10-50x60 to my 101 and it was such a PITA to use I eventually bought a 3-9x40 about 1/3 the weight and have been much happier with using it for field shooting.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 16 Sep 2022, 9:08 am

Get a target rifle for target shooting.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Sep 2022, 11:52 am

in2anity wrote:Get a target rifle for target shooting.

While I wouldn't consider the WMR to be a good choice for shooting any sort of formal target competition, if he merely wants to be able to shoot targets with the rifle he already has I think it would be fine.
But I do think he would do better using two scopes on the rifle, one for target shooting and one for hunting.
If the rifle has a picatinny rail there should be no issue with QD mounts in swapping two scopes on and off without losing zero.

The 5.5-24x56 is not enormous compared to other target scopes, but it is a huge lump to be lugging around on a hunting rifle.
If your hunting consists of going out and finding a spot overlooking some warrens and sniping rabbits and foxes then it would work fine, but for walking creeks and fencelines it will quickly become annoying I think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Sep 2022, 9:34 am

Why don't you try it and see how you go? If you find it is too heavy for hunting then swap it for something else. I used a heavy NF on my fox rifle, it worked well for whistling foxes. I would not use it for spot lighting. You may find your set up works for your style of hunting.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles