Looking for 22LR suggestions

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Looking for 22LR suggestions

Post by madang55 » 19 Oct 2022, 7:18 am

Deye243, just PM'd you. Cheers
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 19 Oct 2022, 9:04 am

deye243 wrote:Not really just buy a c z American not the poxy Australian one with the beach stock

Are there other differences between the American and Beech Wood models beyond their barrel lengths and the wood used for their stocks?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 19 Oct 2022, 9:36 am

Sounds like it
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 19 Oct 2022, 11:23 am

madang55 wrote:Sounds like it

I saw a passing comment in the thread below that said the Beech Wood model has a polymer trigger guard and bolt end cap, but I'm not able to confirm this myself.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/threads/ ... d.1243959/

I tried asking Winchester Australia the same question this morning, but didn't get anything beyond the obvious differences in barrel lengths and stock materials.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 19 Oct 2022, 12:04 pm

Made up my mind. Bergara BMR. Steel. 30 MOA rail. 2 magazines. Spares avail at half the price of CZ. Lightest, shortest. Threaded. (Dream on). If I can't zero the thermal on the 30 rail, Ruger rails are compatible and I'll put it on a zero rail.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 19 Oct 2022, 12:29 pm

madang55 wrote:Deye243, just PM'd you. Cheers

Replied
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 20 Oct 2022, 2:35 pm

madang55 wrote:Made up my mind. Bergara BMR. Steel. 30 MOA rail. 2 magazines. Spares avail at half the price of CZ. Lightest, shortest. Threaded. (Dream on). If I can't zero the thermal on the 30 rail, Ruger rails are compatible and I'll put it on a zero rail.

Did you get an opportunity to handle it in person?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 21 Oct 2022, 5:57 pm

As it would have it my shop is one of the few in town having stock of Bergaras, Lithgows, CZ's, Rugers and Tikkas. The only thing I can't find is some of the good ammo. Seems they are all having stock issues, as in "sold the last of that YESTERDAY!!!! Hopefully the Eley, RWS or old faithful CCI subs will be suitable. 22LR rifles are so fickle.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 23 Oct 2022, 9:11 am

madang55 wrote:As it would have it my shop is one of the few in town having stock of Bergaras, Lithgows, CZ's, Rugers and Tikkas. The only thing I can't find is some of the good ammo. Seems they are all having stock issues, as in "sold the last of that YESTERDAY!!!! Hopefully the Eley, RWS or old faithful CCI subs will be suitable. 22LR rifles are so fickle.

In addition, I spend a bit of time at the range and I've noticed that rim fires are "breeding". There are a lot more showing up, in every form. Old, new chassis, new PRS, new sporters. I am able to have a talk to the owners, and with permission, pick the interesting ones up. The Bergara heavy barrels units are a solid piece of kit. Same with the CZ's. The CZ457 Varmint is beautiful, but still a bit heavy. The only one I haven't seen at the range is the one I'm getting.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 29 Oct 2022, 11:23 am

Well.....after much consideration...the 30MOA rail which comes with the BMR...weird design, very short, notches in the wrong place and I can't mount my thermal on it. And, being 30MOA will be troublesome to ZERO...So an after-market rail...no, well yes, but its a T-bolt rail which has the same radius and 2 matching holes, so the other holes will have to be drilled into the rail. cost...So, I have the Brno Mod2 with a 0 rail. I have CZ magazines which are compatible. SO... bought the CZ457 Varmint. Sacrificed a lot of weight, but the 0 Rails are available, if worst come to worst, I take the one off the Brno and use that but I can start working with it this week. Happy days
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 31 Oct 2022, 8:04 pm

And I managed to get some rounds down at 25yrd. Just enough to zero, so I could get started. Ammo CCI STD, CCI SUB, RWS, ELEY, FIOCCHI. Damn this thing shoots!!!!. CCI Subs, nah, the rest of them starting with one hole about .4 of an inch, ending with one bigger hole, about .6 of an inch. I know the telling will be at 50yrds/m, but damn!!, I have played with the trigger, was for a better word, stiff. Now it aint. Next stop I think Springvale, 50m, "indoors", more holes.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 01 Nov 2022, 12:15 pm

Is the weight and handling to your satisfaction?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 02 Nov 2022, 11:05 pm

jwai86 wrote:Is the weight and handling to your satisfaction?
Yes, I did have to sacrifice some weight, but I think I did the right thing. Handling, in the field I will be shooting out of a window or from a hide or rest. If I have to walk, it wont be too far. I've played with the trigger, not so "stiff" anymore, range will tell. Happy that it feeds on a variety of ammo. In the end if its too heavy, I can change the barrel out to a sporter weight, even a 17HMR if I wanted. Not yet.....
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tomaus » 10 Nov 2022, 8:18 pm

Update, finally got our PTAs and picked up our rifles.

I ended up going with the Lithgow LA101, and my partner the Tikka T1X, she found the Lithgow a bit on the heavy side for her, so great we didn't just go in blind with 2xLA101s. For scopes we decided just to buy local at the same time and went with the Vortex Diamondback 4-16x44 in MOA. Unfortunately, won't be able to get out to the range for another week but really looking forward to it.

Thanks all for your help with this, made the experience in store much more pleasant having half an idea of what we are looking for :)
Tomaus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 11 Nov 2022, 7:31 pm

Tomaus wrote:Update, finally got our PTAs and picked up our rifles.

I ended up going with the Lithgow LA101, and my partner the Tikka T1X, she found the Lithgow a bit on the heavy side for her, so great we didn't just go in blind with 2xLA101s. For scopes we decided just to buy local at the same time and went with the Vortex Diamondback 4-16x44 in MOA. Unfortunately, won't be able to get out to the range for another week but really looking forward to it.

Thanks all for your help with this, made the experience in store much more pleasant having half an idea of what we are looking for :)

Congratulations to both I hope you have many many hours of enjoyment
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles