Looking for 22LR suggestions

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Looking for 22LR suggestions

Post by Biscuits » 30 Sep 2022, 11:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Biscuits wrote:Using my example above of an observed miss by 1.3 of whatever are your hash marks on your SFP BDC scope at a mid range magnification, explain to me your process of resetting for turrets, within 5 seconds say, without using a pen, calculator or tables. To get a hit at the centre of the crosshairs on the next shot. That would be easy with a FFP scope and millirad reticle. How would you do it with your SFP BDC scope?

If I have the scope set to the graduated magnification (usually full-power but not always) then I can see exactly where 1.3Mil (or 4.5MoA) falls, move the reticle to suit (in this case if it's a short elevation miss I'd hold just below the centre of the second dot, if it's a high or windage miss I'd hold 1.5 times the 3MoA windage stadia), or just dial in 4.5 minutes, and take the shot. If I'm using the scope at half-zoom then I know the reticle is doubled (I'm certainly using the lower zoom because I want to double the stadia) so I can see the shot is 4.5 minutes off (the reticle is doubled in size so the upper and side duplexes are at 6MoA rather than 3MoA, and the dots are at 3.4 and 8.8MoA), thus I'd hold the target a minute below the first dot. It really is not as difficult as you seem to imagine it is.

Just on your earlier comment that if you did it the FFP/milrad way, you need a scope for each rifle. I think you would not.

I only have a scope for each rifle for convenience. I could put any scope on any rifle or only have one scope and they would be dialling the same elevation for a given distance on each rifle. Only the ergonomics or the scope would change.

Infact I moved a scope from a 6.5 to a .300, then bought another scope for the 6.5, and I did not need to relearn or recalculate anything on the 6.5. And I could use the scope at any magnification without thinking or even noting what magnification I’m using.

The difference in price between a Hawke SFP BDC scope which OP linked and a FFP milirad turret/millirad reticle scope is less than $200. For that small price difference, would you still recommend the BDC?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 01 Oct 2022, 12:11 am

bladeracer wrote:I suspect you are shooting at targets at fixed distances rather than at random distances in the field?
You are trying to tie your fixed reticle to fixed distances instead of using an adjustable reticle to suit random distances.

I have absolutely zero interest in knowing where my bullet hits at 200m, 300m, 400m, 500m, 600m or any other predetermined distance. I shoot at random distances, all I want to know is the distances that my bullets meet my stadia holdovers. Then I can guesstimate or lase my target and adjust my hold to suit.

Why do you prefer not to use maximum magnification? It can help to dial it back when you have heavy mirage, and it can be useful to dial back to optimal exit pupil in poor light, otherwise I want the best possible view of my target and my impacts.

No, my favourite type of shooting is steel plates at any and all distances, with multiple plates at different distances in the one course of fire. Occasionally I do PRS, but it seems a bit silly to me as you end up shooting while wedged at an awkward angle through a used truck tyre. PRS usually goes to distances of 800m or less and I’m more interested in 1000m and above.

I don’t know anyone doing similar to what I’m doing who uses SFP BDC. FFP is almost universal. The only variation is most people buy a millirad scope and some buy MoA.

I’ve memorised my elevations out to about 300m. Beyond that I’d look it up.

I have several scopes with max mags of 16x through to 30x. About 20x is enough for me. The eyebox is more forgiving and the exit pupil is larger if you back off maximum magnification. For hunting at dusk, high magnification removes a lot of light. The long range rifles and the hunting rifle do have good quality scopes on them, so spotting impacts at less than max magnification is ok. I can self-spot at over 1000 metres; it’s the ground which is the limiting factor for spotting misses (ie wet ground or tall grass = difficult to spot)

But I don’t have to think about I magnification. I can use what suits at the time and my reticle marks match my turret clicks, being first focal plane.

I’m not completely opposed to BDC, I may buy a 1-6x SFP BDC for fast offhand shooting. But that is matching the scope to the application. IIMO a FFP/millirad turret/millirad reticle is the right scope for general target shooting.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2022, 1:18 am

Biscuits wrote:Just on your earlier comment that if you did it the FFP/milrad way, you need a scope for each rifle. I think you would not.

I only have a scope for each rifle for convenience. I could put any scope on any rifle or only have one scope and they would be dialling the same elevation for a given distance on each rifle. Only the ergonomics or the scope would change.

In fact I moved a scope from a 6.5 to a .300, then bought another scope for the 6.5, and I did not need to relearn or recalculate anything on the 6.5. And I could use the scope at any magnification without thinking or even noting what magnification I’m using.

The difference in price between a Hawke SFP BDC scope which OP linked and a FFP milirad turret/millirad reticle scope is less than $200. For that small price difference, would you still recommend the BDC?

Then I must be misunderstanding your comments about having turrets that match your ballistics? I figured you meant the custom turrets that list distances rather than minutes or mils. You can make them yourself if you only use a specific load and some manufacturers offer custom turrets. Lase your target and dial your turret to that distance.

I don't like mils, but I understand why some do. I find mils a bit too coarse, but if it's what you're used to it works just fine.
I wouldn't recommend an FFP scope for any purpose I can think of so I wouldn't suggest anybody pay the premium it demands. I consider FFP to be nothing more than brilliant marketing to get more money out of customers. They tell the public that they absolutely must use an FFP scope if they want to shoot well and people simply accept it as truth and hand over the money.

I'm not against gridded reticles but I think they're mostly unnecessary. With low-velocity cartridges like .22LR, a grid with all the minutes/millirads can be useful, particularly for a new shooter starting out into longer range shooting and learning to deal with wind. But really you only need a handful of holdover marks, they don't need to be any specific BDC but it is more useful if they increase in graduation as that's how ballistics works. Bullets only follow a parabolic or symmetrical curve in vacuum, in the real world they follow a ballistic curve that steepens as the bullet loses velocity due to drag. At the end of the curve the bullet is falling near vertically when it started out in near-horizontal flight.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2022, 2:12 am

I agree with the PRS, I'd rather see more movement and cardio included than the contortionist positions they seem to like, it's supposed to be practical shooting after all, not pole dancing. But often it has to be done within the constraints of the range environment available. I have had to make some very odd shots in the field, one in particular was left-handed, resting the rifle across my right bicep while hanging onto a cliff face above a creek when a fox appeared below me. But the vast majority of my shots are either from a position of overwatch where there is plenty of time to prepare for a shot (even if it doesn't eventuate), or offhand or field expedient supports at close ranges.

I'm also interested in stretching well past 1000m, but my own properties don't give me that option yet. I can shoot on other properties that are more amenable but I rarely have the opportunity, though another property owner has been chatting with me about doing some longer-range shooting at his place. Until I can find a place to do it regularly I enjoy learning via the shorter ranges of long-range .22LR. The ballistics are similar to a lot of high-velocity cartridges, just scaled down - more drop, more wind, more loss of precision as range extends. Past 350m .22LR becomes frustrating if the wind is even slightly "busy".

My largest scopes are 40-power, and I like them when I'm just trying to shoot small groups, but they are in no way practical for field use, even on a dedicated varmint rifle they are bulky and heavy. But I've found I need around 9-power per 100m distance to be able to see .22 calibre holes in paper. 18-power is a good compromise for my own uses.

Biscuits wrote:No, my favourite type of shooting is steel plates at any and all distances, with multiple plates at different distances in the one course of fire. Occasionally I do PRS, but it seems a bit silly to me as you end up shooting while wedged at an awkward angle through a used truck tyre. PRS usually goes to distances of 800m or less and I’m more interested in 1000m and above.

I don’t know anyone doing similar to what I’m doing who uses SFP BDC. FFP is almost universal. The only variation is most people buy a millirad scope and some buy MoA.

I’ve memorised my elevations out to about 300m. Beyond that I’d look it up.

I have several scopes with max mags of 16x through to 30x. About 20x is enough for me. The eyebox is more forgiving and the exit pupil is larger if you back off maximum magnification. For hunting at dusk, high magnification removes a lot of light. The long range rifles and the hunting rifle do have good quality scopes on them, so spotting impacts at less than max magnification is ok. I can self-spot at over 1000 metres; it’s the ground which is the limiting factor for spotting misses (ie wet ground or tall grass = difficult to spot)

But I don’t have to think about I magnification. I can use what suits at the time and my reticle marks match my turret clicks, being first focal plane.

I’m not completely opposed to BDC, I may buy a 1-6x SFP BDC for fast offhand shooting. But that is matching the scope to the application. IIMO a FFP/millirad turret/millirad reticle is the right scope for general target shooting.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Biscuits » 01 Oct 2022, 12:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Biscuits wrote:Just on your earlier comment that if you did it the FFP/milrad way, you need a scope for each rifle. I think you would not.

In fact I moved a scope from a 6.5 to a .300, then bought another scope for the 6.5, and I did not need to relearn or recalculate anything on the 6.5. And I could use the scope at any magnification without thinking or even noting what magnification I’m using.

Then I must be misunderstanding your comments about having turrets that match your ballistics? I figured you meant the custom turrets that list distances rather than minutes or mils. You can make them yourself if you only use a specific load and some manufacturers offer custom turrets. Lase your target and dial your turret to that distance.

I don't like mils, but I understand why some do. I find mils a bit too coarse, but if it's what you're used to it works just fine.
I wouldn't recommend an FFP scope for any purpose I can think of so I wouldn't suggest anybody pay the premium it demands. I consider FFP to be nothing more than brilliant marketing to get more money out of customers. They tell the public that they absolutely must use an FFP scope if they want to shoot well and people simply accept it as truth and hand over the money.

I'm not against gridded reticles but I think they're mostly unnecessary. With low-velocity cartridges like .22LR, a grid with all the minutes/millirads can be useful, particularly for a new shooter starting out into longer range shooting and learning to deal with wind. But really you only need a handful of holdover marks, they don't need to be any specific BDC but it is more useful if they increase in graduation as that's how ballistics works. Bullets only follow a parabolic or symmetrical curve in vacuum, in the real world they follow a ballistic curve that steepens as the bullet loses velocity due to drag. At the end of the curve the bullet is falling near vertically when it started out in near-horizontal flight.

To clarify your earlier post - I'm talking totally standard FFP milrad scopes. I don't do custom turrets. I'm recommending what I actually use myself.

I've been shooting for a while, but I have only made it a primary hobby about 8 years ago. My liking for FFP millirad turret-millirad reticle is based on experience.

I started with a mid-range Vortex SFP scope and I started off shooting paper targets at fixed distances. It was ok for that, but it didn't have the optical quality to allow me to use the full 16x (or might have been 20x, I can't remember) zoom which the SFP reticle was calibrated for. I found if I wanted to correct a miss being SFP, then I'd need to zoom in to 16x to scale off the reticle direct. Then zoom back out. Or use 8x power, in which case there was a scaling factor of 2 on the reticle marks. It was prone to fogging up when it rained, so you couldn't shoot.

Based on that experience, I:
- Spent more money, for better optical quality and something which would work better in poor weather
- Went to FFP, so I did not need to think what zoom power to use

I now have four FFP milrad turret/milrad reticle scopes across 4 rifles, now used mostly for steel plates at random distances or hunting. I have a few WW2 open sight rifles and a red dot rifle too. I like the FFP scopes as they are consistent and they are general purpose, suitable for almost anything. I could swap the scope on the 22LR, to the 6.5, to the .308, to the .300 and the number of clicks if I dial, or the position of the target in the reticle if I hold over, remains the same regardless of scope. Obv, I need a different aiming solution depending on rifle/caliber/load. I accept there are negatives to FFP, the main one being that zoomed out, it is hard to see detail in the reticle and the lines are too thin. If you shoot at dusk, using an illuminated reticle will fix that, but it is a genuine criticism of FFP if you use it in bright daylight at low zoom power.

I agree a grid/christmas tree reticle isn't really necessary; one of my scopes has it, not sorry I bought it but probably wouldn't buy another. It makes the reticle look a bit too busy.

OP could buy a SFP, but I would still recommend an even reticle scale of millirad or MoA and not a BDC reticle.

Although BDC works (and works well in your case), you have to put more learning into it for each and every caliber and ammo type within that caliber. I also feel that unless you are quite experienced, BDC would create a disconnect between seeing your misses in the scope reticle and knowing how many clicks you need to dial in order to correct it.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 01 Oct 2022, 12:44 pm

Lazarus wrote:I'm not looking for a fight biscuits, just trying to point out that, much as it might shock you, you don't know what you're taking about.

Leaving aside hand loads, do you seriously believe that every brand of .22lr behaves the same?
There are a multitude of different. 22lr loads on the market, different projectile types of different weights and different BCs, different loadings, speeds and performance.
No two perform the same and being lazy and relying on your scope to do your work doesn't make you a good shooter, in fact it's the opposite.

I'm not basing my comments on what I did "decades ago", I shoot every day. Every day.
Not at the range, in the field, at live targets, at varying ranges and conditions.
I use different types of ammunition depending on the task at hand.

I am not trying to pump up my own tyres, simply trying to impress upon you that there are skill sets available to be developed by those who take the time to learn from those who have been there and done that.

You can scoff if you wish, but arrogance doesn’t make you a better shooter, it just makes you look foolish.

I think our disagreement is based on information getting lost or misinterpreted in the limited room to type a comment on a web forum.

For clarity
- Yes, obv I know that each caliber, load within that caliber and rifle is different.
- My point is that, if you have a known elevation requirement to hit a target at a given range with a given rifle/ammo combination, with a FFP scope you do not need to think about what zoom power you are using and you do not need to think about the relationship between the marks on your reticle and the number of clicks you dial. If you see a 1.3 millirad miss, you dial 13 x 0.1 millrad clicks - simple.
- Every time I use a new type of ammo, I chronograph it and look up the published ballistic coefficient
- I log all my shooting, elevations to hit target, distance to target and air pressure-temperature-wind to account for atmospherics; the only times I haven't logged it is during PRS matches under time pressure or when it was chucking it down with rain and everything, including my log book, was getting wet.
- I use a ballistic solver to get aiming solutions; I have corrected the inputs (BC or MV) into the solver, for every ammo and rifle combination, to get accurate aiming solutions at any distance I shoot at.
- The rifles are used for target at varying distances and for hunting
- Use ammo for the application; match ammo for target and expanding ammo for hunting.

Therefore I do know what I am talking about and my recommendation not to buy a SFP BDC scope is based on my experience.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 04 Oct 2022, 4:32 pm

bladeracer wrote:I would say no, unless you are only shooting at a range at the same distance all the time. If you are only practicing the muscle memory side of shooting it would be fine, I have several myself. But once you start transferring your shooting skill across to the field, where every shot is different, then the reticle can really give you a lot more information to work with. When I started shooting I used iron sights, and very occasionally used aperture sights. After four years of shooting with iron sights I managed to afford some basic four-power scopes with duplex reticles, and they were amazing. There's no reason you couldn't spend a lifetime shooting with a four-power duplex scope, or just use iron sights. But scopes are so cheap and so reliable nowadays that it makes sense to use them if you can, they simply make it easier to shoot well.

My reasoning for choosing a duplex reticle was that the extra markings on other reticle types could be a distraction while learning the basics of shooting. The calculations and shooting data can come in once I am sufficiently skilled to get consistently tight groups to begin with :P
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Biscuits » 04 Oct 2022, 4:54 pm

^ I wouldn’t say markings on the reticle are distracting. Just don’t get a reticle which is covered in dots, like a Christmas tree reticle.

A duplex reticle scope will invariably have capped turrets. It will only be precise for one shooting distance. To shoot other distances, you will need to undo the capped turrets. Many duplex scopes then need a coin or screwdriver to make adjustments. Not practical.

Duplex is ok for a centerfire hunting rifle. You can zero it at 200 metres and it’s good enough from zero to 240 metres or so.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by safeshot » 04 Oct 2022, 10:20 pm

You have a girlfriend interested in shooting? Look after her like gold!
----
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by likeimjohnwayne » 05 Oct 2022, 7:24 am

safeshot wrote:You have a girlfriend interested in shooting? Look after her like gold!
----

I have a mate who didn't think his partner would like it. Turned out she loved it. He said it's great, but it costs them am absolute fortune as a couple.
likeimjohnwayne
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by jwai86 » 05 Oct 2022, 10:24 am

Biscuits wrote:^ I wouldn’t say markings on the reticle are distracting. Just don’t get a reticle which is covered in dots, like a Christmas tree reticle.

A duplex reticle scope will invariably have capped turrets. It will only be precise for one shooting distance. To shoot other distances, you will need to undo the capped turrets. Many duplex scopes then need a coin or screwdriver to make adjustments. Not practical.

Duplex is ok for a centerfire hunting rifle. You can zero it at 200 metres and it’s good enough from zero to 240 metres or so.

I anticipate that most of my shooting will be done in a range setting at fixed distances. If I encounter a scenario requiring a different scope or reticle, I'll cross that bridge then.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2022, 12:04 pm

Biscuits wrote:^ I wouldn’t say markings on the reticle are distracting. Just don’t get a reticle which is covered in dots, like a Christmas tree reticle.

A duplex has one holdover - the top of the duplex post is probably at 3MoA but could be up to five to eight minutes from what I've seen. If you zero a hunting rifle high at 100m then you can have your bullet maybe 50mm high at 100m, on zero at 200m, and on the duplex at 300m. Shoot it and learn your reticle.

By shooting a lot of .22LR in difficult winds I am gaining enough experience with wind that I rarely use the wind metre anymore. But I do set up a plate at 100m and put a shot on that if I've lost the wind, if it tells me I'm hitting four-minutes to the left at 100m I move back out to the longer distance, hold four-minutes to the right and I should be on or very close. If I can see a visible difference in the wind between the two points I can adjust the hold to suit.

Elevation hold increases with range, wind hold does not. Though that doesn't mean the wind hold is going to be the same at 300m or 600m as it is at 100m. The wind is "alive", and changes during the flight of the bullet. With .22LR I have had a 3MoA right wind hold at 100m and needed a 1MoA left wind hold at 200m.

This is my reticle.
Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 223BDC reticle.JPG
Bushnell AR Optics 4.5-18x40 223BDC reticle.JPG (45.48 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

At 100m - the targets are squares of 16mm insulation tape.
20220804_120213b.jpg
20220804_120213b.jpg (284.32 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

At 200m. The lower gongs are 120mm at 150m and 180m, the gong on the fence is 150mm at 200m, the steel plate is 220mm by 420mm at 200m, in the grass is a plow disc. I struggle with anybody proclaiming this reticle to be "too thick" for hunting, or even for target shooting, but people do.
20220819_112843b.jpg
20220819_112843b.jpg (321.7 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

This is an example of some of the more intrusive reticles, that give you little useful information.
reticles.jpg
reticles.jpg (24.42 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

The famous SVD reticle that has simple wind and elevation holds and adds a rudimentary range finder.
PSO-1.jpg
PSO-1.jpg (215.53 KiB) Viewed 2859 times

Put a person's feet on the line and where his head meets the curved line gives you the range in metres.
Last edited by bladeracer on 07 Oct 2022, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BecM » 05 Oct 2022, 5:00 pm

Well that got way off topic and way over my head real fast! I’m in the same position as the op. Just starting out (target only) and looking at what.22 to get. I've shot a Lithgow and a Tikka tx1 at the local gun range. I'd planned on buying a tx1 but I found the trigger kind of heavy and didn't like it so much. Let me know what you end up getting!
BecM
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 05 Oct 2022, 6:40 pm

@biscuits

You're right, textual intercourse is fraught with possibilities for misunderstanding, and getting our hair in a mess over it is pointless.

What it comes down to at the end of the day is if you, or me, develop a way that works for us to get the pill where we want it to go, that's what is best for us.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by 8mm Mauser » 05 Oct 2022, 10:15 pm

If you get the Ruger precision rimfire, get the .22WMR, mines a tack driver. The .22lr ones can be hit and miss, I'm getting a Ruger American target .22lr instead of the .22lr precision. Shot my mates and it's as good as my RPR .22wmr as far as accuracy goes.
8mm Mauser
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2022, 10:51 pm

8mm Mauser wrote:If you get the Ruger precision rimfire, get the .22WMR, mines a tack driver. The .22lr ones can be hit and miss, I'm getting a Ruger American target .22lr instead of the .22lr precision. Shot my mates and it's as good as my RPR .22wmr as far as accuracy goes.

I have the RPR and the Target, both in .22LR, I also have the Compact.
There is no measurable difference between their accuracy, but it's possible I might've been remarkably lucky.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 8mm Mauser » 06 Oct 2022, 11:05 am

bladeracer wrote:
8mm Mauser wrote:If you get the Ruger precision rimfire, get the .22WMR, mines a tack driver. The .22lr ones can be hit and miss, I'm getting a Ruger American target .22lr instead of the .22lr precision. Shot my mates and it's as good as my RPR .22wmr as far as accuracy goes.

I have the RPR and the Target, both in .22LR, I also have the Compact.
There is no measurable difference between their accuracy, but it's possible I might've been remarkably lucky.

Yeah, I've seen some RPR .22 shoot great out of the box, but some guys have to mess with bedding etc, I love the feel if the RPR but as I already have a PWS summit I need sent to a smith to get it right, I'd prefer not to roll the dice and have to send two haha
8mm Mauser
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2022, 12:40 pm

8mm Mauser wrote:Yeah, I've seen some RPR .22 shoot great out of the box, but some guys have to mess with bedding etc, I love the feel if the RPR but as I already have a PWS summit I need sent to a smith to get it right, I'd prefer not to roll the dice and have to send two haha

I haven't heard of that. It's a chassis so there is no real bedding to mess with.
All I've done with mine is drill two holes in the side to access the handguard screws and cut out a channel in the front so I can remove the handguard without having to pull the action out of the chassis. Haven't even adjusted the trigger yet.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 8mm Mauser » 06 Oct 2022, 2:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
8mm Mauser wrote:Yeah, I've seen some RPR .22 shoot great out of the box, but some guys have to mess with bedding etc, I love the feel if the RPR but as I already have a PWS summit I need sent to a smith to get it right, I'd prefer not to roll the dice and have to send two haha

I haven't heard of that. It's a chassis so there is no real bedding to mess with.
All I've done with mine is drill two holes in the side to access the handguard screws and cut out a channel in the front so I can remove the handguard without having to pull the action out of the chassis. Haven't even adjusted the trigger yet.

I've seen some people talk about foil bedding them, whatever that is. Yeah first thing I did on the RPR 22mag was drop the trigger to its minimum, such a well designed rifle system. You're making me consider the 22lr one again now lol
8mm Mauser
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 06 Oct 2022, 3:37 pm

8mm Mauser wrote:I've seen some people talk about foil bedding them, whatever that is. Yeah first thing I did on the RPR 22mag was drop the trigger to its minimum, such a well designed rifle system. You're making me consider the 22lr one again now lol

I have been considering grabbing an RPR in HMR, but not for any specific reason, which is probably why I haven't pulled the trigger and ordered one yet. I use the .204 with 32gn bullets at 2400fps already for that sort of work.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cloudsurfer » 07 Oct 2022, 3:30 pm

Biscuits wrote:I would say the Ruger Precision Rimfire as it looks nice and is adjustable. You will probably have to mess with the others, for example by fitting a comb riser or spacers to increase length of pull.

But there are negatives to the RPR, the main one being it is a bit heavier than the T1x (I'm comparing with the T1x as I own one). This will make it a bit more difficult to shoot offhand. And the chassis fore end isn't quite as comfortable to hold onto if shooting offhand. Overall for me the positives of the RPR would outweigh the negatives, especially if you get it at a good price.

Scope: you MUST get one with an adjustable parallax down to preferably 10 metres and certainly not less than 20 metres, or you are going to be disappointed with it and you will end up buying another one.

Once you have filtered for suitable parallax adjustment, I recommend exposed turrets as it is much easier to change elevation as your shooting distance changes.

After that, consider if you want first or second focal plane and if you want milliradians or MoA adjustments.

Then consider what reticle you want. For target, it is better to have subtensions on the reticle, like this one in the first post of the thread:
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/th ... s.6893988/

That particular scope is out of your price range, but you can get a similar reticle in cheaper scopes. The caveat is that a more simple reticle is sometimes better for fast shooting.

Or just get a cheap whatever scope - if your scope budget is $500, you will end up wanting to change it before long once you know better what you get with more $$$ compared to a $500 entry level scope. You can buy based on your own knowledge, rather than what some guy on the internet says.

What about the Leupold VX-Freedom 3-9? That's around the $500 mark and a very good scope (Aussie Reviews has reviewed it and doesn't fault it).
I doubt there is much point getting something for $1k esp on a Rimfire where 90% of the shooting is done sub 100m...
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 07 Oct 2022, 6:23 pm

BecM wrote:Well that got way off topic and way over my head real fast! I’m in the same position as the op. Just starting out (target only) and looking at what.22 to get. I've shot a Lithgow and a Tikka tx1 at the local gun range. I'd planned on buying a tx1 but I found the trigger kind of heavy and didn't like it so much. Let me know what you end up getting!

A $10 trigger spring makes the Tikka one of the best factory triggers around. I prefer it to the trigger on my Barnard. Easy to change the spring yourself in about 2 minutes.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 16 Oct 2022, 1:49 pm

Well, I started reading this thread at the beginning and by the end I was so gladd it got back on topic. First question, did anyone, has anyone, looked at the Bergara range. I'm looking to replace my Brno Mod 2 with something lighter and more accurate. My particular problem is missing half of my trigger finger, so a LOT of the pistol grip type stocks are a waste of time for me, so I'm looking at the BMR. The alternative is one of those CZ' pictured earlier in the thread. The one mounted on the tripod. How heavy is that CZ? I'm told the "shoot" pretty good.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 16 Oct 2022, 2:51 pm

The tripod mounted CZ looks to be a CZ 457 Varmint. The CZUB website says that particular model weighs 3.3kg.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 16 Oct 2022, 6:58 pm

Cheers
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 16 Oct 2022, 7:08 pm

Oh and lovely bit of kit, but a bit heavy
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 16 Oct 2022, 10:42 pm

So...what I'm looking for is a varmint rifle in a sporting stock, shoots better than I can, and weighs about 3kg. Self says to self, "tell him he's dreaming". But, ya never know. I've even thought about taking a few inches off the Mod2. Nah, but would lighten the weight....
Dilemna. I need a lighter more accurate 22LR then my Brno Mod 2. Do I buy a new Bergara BMR, or..... keep the Brno i have and reduce the weight by shortening the barrel. They are an overly long barrel, so a few inches off then end shouldn't worry it. Have it done by someone who knows what they're doing, new crown etc. The Bergara HMR apparently has a REM footprint, so I could get one of those and drop it into a REM synthetic stock. Waste of money. Has to be a normal sporting stock due to my trigger finger being a bit short. (motorcycle chain) and using my naughty finger has never successful. Don't like Tikkas (don't ask), CZ are real good but heavy. Ruger....nah. New Howa 1100 have the pistol grip. In fact most pistol grips are set too far back or the palm swell is too big and I can't reach the trigger. The Bergara fits the bill, but would love to see how much heavier the heavy barrel in the sporting stock would be.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 17 Oct 2022, 10:44 am

The only thing in the Bergara BMR that is compatible with Remington 700 parts is the trigger unit. The more expensive Bergara B14 R is the one that has more parts compatibility.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Oct 2022, 7:03 pm

madang55 wrote:So...what I'm looking for is a varmint rifle in a sporting stock, shoots better than I can, and weighs about 3kg. Self says to self, "tell him he's dreaming". But, ya never know. I've even thought about taking a few inches off the Mod2. Nah, but would lighten the weight....
Dilemna. I need a lighter more accurate 22LR then my Brno Mod 2. Do I buy a new Bergara BMR, or..... keep the Brno i have and reduce the weight by shortening the barrel. They are an overly long barrel, so a few inches off then end shouldn't worry it. Have it done by someone who knows what they're doing, new crown etc. The Bergara HMR apparently has a REM footprint, so I could get one of those and drop it into a REM synthetic stock. Waste of money. Has to be a normal sporting stock due to my trigger finger being a bit short. (motorcycle chain) and using my naughty finger has never successful. Don't like Tikkas (don't ask), CZ are real good but heavy. Ruger....nah. New Howa 1100 have the pistol grip. In fact most pistol grips are set too far back or the palm swell is too big and I can't reach the trigger. The Bergara fits the bill, but would love to see how much heavier the heavy barrel in the sporting stock would be.

madang'
I have a CZ455 with a 16.5 inch barrel in a synthetic stock. Sorry, no idea what the weight is but it sure ain't heavy :D
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 18 Oct 2022, 9:48 pm

madang55 wrote:So...what I'm looking for is a varmint rifle in a sporting stock, shoots better than I can, and weighs about 3kg. Self says to self, "tell him he's dreaming". But, ya never know. I've even thought about taking a few inches off the Mod2. Nah, but would lighten the weight....

Not really just buy a c z American not the poxy Australian one with the beach stock problem as it has a barrel nearly 25 inches long but when they become available get a sporter weight 20 inch yes it will cost you another $300 but at least you will have what you want .
and that rifle on the tripod is mine and I have honestly lost count of the amount of 5 shot groups that rifle has shot at 100 yards between 1 Moa and 1.2 which for cheap bulk and Vic ammo is pretty bloody good.
And some of the groups it shoots with Norma tac22 are simply astounding the rifle happens to like that ammo very much .
And the thing that I am most impressed about this particular rifle is that with a spring that cost me about $0.80 it has an 11 oz trigger that snaps like glass it's the equal to the 3 Jewell benchrest triggers that I have I find it very amusing that CZ has gone from one of the ****** triggers on the market to probably the best in the Rimfire game it's even better than my anschutz 1517 dhb after it's spring change .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles