Spotted some odd CZ 455 rifles on sale

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Spotted some odd CZ 455 rifles on sale

Post by jwai86 » 26 Sep 2022, 5:06 pm

First up, The Barn in QLD is clearing out three CZ 455 rifles that have Boyds Pro Varmint stocks but are fitted with sporter barrels. $699 for just the rifle seems pretty cheap for a new CZ at least.

https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/CZ% ... MAG/104940

Then there are a couple of places that are selling CZ 455 rifles with 16.5" threaded barrels (without sights) and hogback stocks. I've seen the one at Horsley Park, but have no idea why it's been priced so high compared to their newer CZ 457 rifles.

https://rehfisch.com.au/products/cz-455 ... -16-barrel

https://www.horsleyparkgunshop.com.au/p ... 22lr-5-rnd

I have to wonder if someone threw random barrelled actions and stocks together to do away with out of production CZ 455 stock.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Spotted some odd CZ 455 rifles on sale

Post by jwai86 » 11 Oct 2022, 7:13 pm

In relation to the rifles being offered by The Barn, will issues arise if the barrel free floats in a gap designed for a wider varmint barrel?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 11 Oct 2022, 8:04 pm

jwai86 wrote:In relation to the rifles being offered by The Barn, will issues arise if the barrel free floats in a gap designed for a wider varmint barrel?

I guess it's more possible for larger objects to fall in and jam between the barrel and the wood, otherwise, nope.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 12 Oct 2022, 9:17 am

bladeracer wrote:I guess it's more possible for larger objects to fall in and jam between the barrel and the wood, otherwise, nope.

Selling the varmint stock and replacing it with something lighter and more versatile is doable, but do you think it would be worth the additional hassle?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2022, 2:08 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:I guess it's more possible for larger objects to fall in and jam between the barrel and the wood, otherwise, nope.

Selling the varmint stock and replacing it with something lighter and more versatile is doable, but do you think it would be worth the additional hassle?

I wouldn't think so, unless you can't find another rifle. Buying one of these to build into something else seems a wasted effort. Can't see the last one but the comb on the middle one looks too low for scope use so wouldn't be a great choice on a rifle without iron sights.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jwai86 » 12 Oct 2022, 3:07 pm

bladeracer wrote:I wouldn't think so, unless you can't find another rifle. Buying one of these to build into something else seems a wasted effort. Can't see the last one but the comb on the middle one looks too low for scope use so wouldn't be a great choice on a rifle without iron sights.

I figured that selling the varmint stock would cover the cost of a cheaper synthetic stock and keep the overall cost at around $700 or even less. It vaguely made sense to me at the time :P

The rifle in the last link has the same setup as the middle one.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jwai86 » 19 Oct 2022, 8:36 am

I guess this other CZ 455 at The Barn also counts as an odd rifle.

https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/CZ% ... 2LR/107136

$799 doesn't seem like a bad price, but the Boyds Evolution stock won't appeal to everyone. I only managed to find the Evolution models with varmint barrels in older CZUB catalogues, so this could be another random bodge job.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles