Best gun to put down injured animals

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Best gun to put down injured animals

Post by cloudsurfer » 03 Oct 2022, 9:33 am

I'm one of the few ppl around the local farms here who is licensed A and B (incl for rec. hunting/vermin control) and I have gotten a few calls lately from the local WIRES asking me to put down animals like roos etc that have been injured in car accidents.

So far I've gotten around it every time as the animal was always DOA.
My choice would be my 223 for the job however it's very loud and can scare or upset onlookers.

There is also the question of legality of shooting outside your property...

So I guess my question is twofold:

1) What is the legal implication for me to shoot an animal on the side of the road, basically on public property? Do I need to drag it onto my property first in order to shoot it? Also to shoot it on the nearest property, do I need written permission from the owner to shoot it or is verbal good enough?
2) What caliber do you recommend to shoot at close range? I would imagine even a 22LR is deadly to large animals like roos at 2-3m range and my 223 would be too loud and overkill?
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Best gun to put down injured animals

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2022, 11:24 am

cloudsurfer wrote:I'm one of the few ppl around the local farms here who is licensed A and B (incl for rec. hunting/vermin control) and I have gotten a few calls lately from the local WIRES asking me to put down animals like roos etc that have been injured in car accidents.

My choice would be my 223 for the job however it's very loud and can scare or upset onlookers.

1) What is the legal implication for me to shoot an animal on the side of the road, basically on public property? Do I need to drag it onto my property first in order to shoot it? Also to shoot it on the nearest property, do I need written permission from the owner to shoot it or is verbal good enough?
2) What caliber do you recommend to shoot at close range? I would imagine even a 22LR is deadly to large animals like roos at 2-3m range and my 223 would be too loud and overkill?

The big issue is that roads are prohibited places to even have a loaded firearm...a knife or club may be a legally-safer option.
Combine that with it being illegal to harm native animals or to take dead native animals from the road side and it's a minefield if you happen to be spotted by a moron. It's possible that some states might have added an exclusion for humanely ending an injured animal so check your Animal Welfare Acts, Regs and Codes.
And the road surface is perfect for ricochets which you must be mindful of with low-velocity bullets (a nasty onlooker could make the claim that this makes shooting "dangerous" or "reckless" - I've known actual shooters(!) make this claim about shooting toward or across water as well). Straight down into the top of the head so the bullet stays inside the body is good, otherwise hopefully the roadside has a bit of berm you can aim toward. I would be hesitant to drag it onto somebody's property to shoot it if I don't know them, or at least believe that they would be okay with it.

Basically, the idiot ideology we've been lumbered with would prefer to see animals die the most drawn-out and painful deaths possible than have a right-minded person end an animal's suffering the most humane way possible. Even the RSPCA acknowledges that shooting is the best way - but _only_ when done by "professionals".

But, we live on a road to a stone quarry, big heavy vehicles zoom past at 100kph every twenty minutes on weekdays. And they often start coming at 0400. A lot of 'roos and wombats get nailed. Most of the time they're close to death by the time I find them and can get, and return with, a rifle. A .22LR at near-contact (so the muzzle blast follows the bullet into the wound) generally finishes them off. But some can be very feisty, you just rile them up getting close to them making it very difficult to shoot them cleanly. For these I prefer the .204 with reduced loads, similar to .22 Hornet (or WMR/HMR) so I can shoot from further away. The tiny high-velocity bullet tends to break up so no risk of anything hefty enough to cause trouble making it out the other side. If it's scoped, do some practice at 5m and 10m so you're aware how high you have to aim due to the bore offset. For bigger beasts, like calves and cows, I have used .22LR but it is far below what I consider the minimum required. My preference there is a pistol chambering (.38, .357, .44 or .45) or a shotgun slug (a rifled pistol adapter in a 12ga. is perfect - you can grab a gun and a couple of adapters and rounds and decide when you get to the scene which is most appropriate).
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-03 121922.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-03 121922.jpg (74.18 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
Last edited by bladeracer on 03 Oct 2022, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Oct 2022, 12:17 pm

Bladeracer is right. It's a mine field.

But vets and cops do it..?

Perhaps ask the local vet, he may know something. Perhaps you can get some sort of written authority from a government department, say the cops. Repeat, get it in writing. Do your due diligence.

Good luck.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 Oct 2022, 12:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Bladeracer is right. It's a mine field.

But vets and cops do it..?

Perhaps ask the local vet, he may know something. Perhaps you can get some sort of written authority from a government department, say the cops. Repeat, get it in writing. Do your due diligence.

Good luck.

Agreed. Good advice OB :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 03 Oct 2022, 12:59 pm

Mate you can with landholders permission and depending on your states laws shoot on farming property. On a road its a big no no.

I would suggest you tell the people to ring the local ranger or cops.

You are not going to get permission from the cops to shoot on the side of the road. You can try it... but expect to be laughed at.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Oct 2022, 3:47 pm

So, we have a nice big buck roo injured, lying on the side of the road.
We are suggesting we drag/carry it off the road, over a farm fence, get permission, then shoot it. Yeeaah. Prepare for the medical/ambulance bill.

He needs some sort of permit or authority that covers a year or so. Cops, probably not, but someone in a gov department. I don't know who.

Vet or cops would be able to re-direct you to the right place. That was the intent of my previous comment. Or perhaps there is a regulation some where that covers him but I think thats highly unlikely.

In writing
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boundry Rider » 03 Oct 2022, 3:48 pm

I’ve done it roadside with a 22LR down through the skullcap. Euthanisation under animal welfare responsibilities should be reasonable justification. The damaged Roos are best dragged into the ditch for this.
Had to do it with a 4” tree branch one time too, dicey waiting for cars to pass (didn’t want to end up on Instagram) and at the same time waiting for a good angle to present itself. Proper back of the lower skull hit and dropped dead right there.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 03 Oct 2022, 3:52 pm

This covers the requirements for NSW.

https://www.nwc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/NWC_Firearms_Safety_Brief.pdf

Taken from link

Qualifications for Wildlife Volunteer Shooters

Shooters are authorised to use firearms when necessary to euthanase animals, provided:

• Wildlife volunteers are members of a wildlife group licensed by OEH;

• Wildlife volunteers must be authorised by their wildlife group management committee
and carry a current wildlife group identification card;

• Hold the appropriate NSW firearms licence/permit and firearm/s registration/s;

• Wear appropriate clothing to identify themselves and maintain their safety i.e. wear a
high visibility safety vest, and appropriate footwear and PPE.

• Comply with the requirements for the safekeeping and transport of firearms;

• Understand the Code of Practice for the Humane Shooting of kangaroos, wallabies and
wombats; and

• There are serious penalties applicable to the misuse of firearms (see Attachment 2).
Maintain acquiescence with the NSW Crimes Act Firearms legislation (section 93G) and
comply with wildlife group policies and procedures.

Shooters have a responsibility to ensure local Police are informed of the intention to discharge a
firearm in a public place or close to public areas. In situations where this is not possible, e.g. lack
of mobile phone coverage in the area where a euthanasia is taking place, the shooter must notify
the Police and wildlife group as soon as practicable after the euthanasia.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2022, 5:38 pm

Fionn wrote:• Understand the Code of Practice for the Humane Shooting of kangaroos, wallabies and
wombats; and...

Okay, so that does allow rimfires and shotguns at least, and it does allow heart shots and clubbing.
And provided you are a member of the organisations and have the qualification.
Screenshot 2022-10-03 183522.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-03 183522.jpg (101.6 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by cloudsurfer » 03 Oct 2022, 6:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:
cloudsurfer wrote:I'm one of the few ppl around the local farms here who is licensed A and B (incl for rec. hunting/vermin control) and I have gotten a few calls lately from the local WIRES asking me to put down animals like roos etc that have been injured in car accidents.

The big issue is that roads are prohibited places to even have a loaded firearm...a knife or club may be a legally-safer option.
Combine that with it being illegal to harm native animals or to take dead native animals from the road side and it's a minefield if you happen to be spotted by a moron. It's possible that some states might have added an exclusion for humanely ending an injured animal so check your Animal Welfare Acts, Regs and Codes.
And the road surface is perfect for ricochets which you must be mindful of with low-velocity bullets (a nasty onlooker could make the claim that this makes shooting "dangerous" or "reckless" - I've known actual shooters(!) make this claim about shooting toward or across water as well). Straight down into the top of the head so the bullet stays inside the body is good, otherwise hopefully the roadside has a bit of berm you can aim toward. I would be hesitant to drag it onto somebody's property to shoot it if I don't know them, or at least believe that they would be okay with it.

Basically, the idiot ideology we've been lumbered with would prefer to see animals die the most drawn-out and painful deaths possible than have a right-minded person end an animal's suffering the most humane way possible. Even the RSPCA acknowledges that shooting is the best way - but _only_ when done by "professionals".

But, we live on a road to a stone quarry, big heavy vehicles zoom past at 100kph every twenty minutes on weekdays. And they often start coming at 0400. A lot of 'roos and wombats get nailed. Most of the time they're close to death by the time I find them and can get, and return with, a rifle. A .22LR at near-contact (so the muzzle blast follows the bullet into the wound) generally finishes them off. But some can be very feisty, you just rile them up getting close to them making it very difficult to shoot them cleanly. For these I prefer the .204 with reduced loads, similar to .22 Hornet (or WMR/HMR) so I can shoot from further away. The tiny high-velocity bullet tends to break up so no risk of anything hefty enough to cause trouble making it out the other side. If it's scoped, do some practice at 5m and 10m so you're aware how high you have to aim due to the bore offset. For bigger beasts, like calves and cows, I have used .22LR but it is far below what I consider the minimum required. My preference there is a pistol chambering (.38, .357, .44 or .45) or a shotgun slug (a rifled pistol adapter in a 12ga. is perfect - you can grab a gun and a couple of adapters and rounds and decide when you get to the scene which is most appropriate).

Thanks for the detailed response Bladeracer. Wow this does indeed sound like an absolute legal minefield. I'm glad I got around without getting into big trouble here. Just trying to help...

I think I'll insist that ppl either call the cops in future or drag it to my farm and I can dispose of it there.
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 03 Oct 2022, 7:06 pm

The best rifle and calibre is a .22LR for kangaroos and under. Only use hollow points. Or a captive bolt gun. For larger animals, you may need something such as a .357 mag. A .222/.223 will do for most larger animals except bulls and old cows.

Be aware that there are differing aiming points for various species, due to differing locations of the brain, horns etc.

Make sure the animal cannot be saved. If it can, call a wildlife carer. If not, euthanise it humanely.

Know where to aim for front, side and rear shots. As said, if a scope is fitted, know what differences there are between aiming point and impact at differing (short) ranges. It is substantial.

Keep it discrete. Don't big note what you are doing by brandishing a rifle around. If people don't know what you are doing/have just done, all the better. If there is any risk that they will, contact Police first.

Always shoot at a slight angle so that a ricochet doesn't come back at you.

As I tell my students, get closer. Then get closer!

Always check pouch for young.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 04 Oct 2022, 7:34 am

I recon the 22lr has probably put down more animals in above situation than any other caliber
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2022, 8:12 am

Yep, for most, say up to large roo a subsonic 2r would be the go. Won't attract attention.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by IanSM » 04 Oct 2022, 11:14 am

About 12mths ago, was faced with tis same situation in rural SA. Rang local cop and explained the situation. He said he was unavailable to attend. Asked if we were competent and comfortable to do the job. I said "Yes" but would need to shoot from main road and was concerned about legality or if someone driving past reported me. Officer gave me his badge number and contact details and told me to pass them on to anyone who was concerned and he would confirm that he authorised me to perform the task.Fortunately there where no complaints and roo was put down with single headshot at about 80 mtrs with 22.250. Good outcome for all.
IanSM
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by cloudsurfer » 05 Oct 2022, 8:03 pm

IanSM wrote:About 12mths ago, was faced with tis same situation in rural SA. Rang local cop and explained the situation. He said he was unavailable to attend. Asked if we were competent and comfortable to do the job. I said "Yes" but would need to shoot from main road and was concerned about legality or if someone driving past reported me. Officer gave me his badge number and contact details and told me to pass them on to anyone who was concerned and he would confirm that he authorised me to perform the task.Fortunately there where no complaints and roo was put down with single headshot at about 80 mtrs with 22.250. Good outcome for all.

That is a good outcome and good to hear there are decent cops with common sense. Why did you shoot from 80m away though?
cloudsurfer
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2022, 8:21 pm

IanSM wrote:About 12mths ago, was faced with tis same situation in rural SA. Rang local cop and explained the situation. He said he was unavailable to attend. Asked if we were competent and comfortable to do the job. I said "Yes" but would need to shoot from main road and was concerned about legality or if someone driving past reported me. Officer gave me his badge number and contact details and told me to pass them on to anyone who was concerned and he would confirm that he authorised me to perform the task.Fortunately there where no complaints and roo was put down with single headshot at about 80 mtrs with 22.250. Good outcome for all.

Awesome! I wish more Police members had brains and intelligence like this one.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by IanSM » 08 Oct 2022, 5:14 pm

Cloudsurfer,went from 80 mtrs because every time we tried to get closer the injured animal would struggle to get up and move away. rather than distress it any further my son took the shot. Is very capable of hitting stationery target at that distance and had a convenient fence post for a rest. One shot ,clean kill, no distress. And yes cop was very decent about the whole thing. Not our normal local but just as helpful and realistic.
IanSM
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by dnedative » 09 Oct 2022, 7:51 pm

northdude wrote:I recon the 22lr has probably put down more animals in above situation than any other caliber

This; Slaughter house cartridge of choice.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lawyer Daggett » 12 Oct 2022, 4:51 am

My suggestion in terms of a firearm would be something like a Bergara 13 takedown in 9mm. It is cheap, semi-concealable, accurate and has ample power for the job.

HOWEVER

It raises a number of legal issues:

If your genuine reason is recreational hunting/vermin control you are not covered for euthanasia animals. In the last drought, I had a farmer friend who needed to euthanase emaciated stock and I could not assist him without adding another genuine reason- as this would have taken to long to achieve, I could not assist him in what was a heartbreaking activity.

I know WIRES euthanases injured wildlife by the roadside but do not know how this is achieved, and before being prepared to assist I would want to have a copy and read any Permit authorising this and ensure that it covered you.

Simon Munslow Firearms Lawyer
Lawyer Daggett
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Oct 2022, 5:10 am

Thx for your reply Simon, pretty close to what blade and I suggested.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Border_Bloke » 21 Oct 2022, 8:15 am

Local WIRES guy here carries a 25/20 and a 44magnum (Both Winchester 92's).
He uses the 44 Mag for cattle and the 25/20 of everything else.

He has subsonic handloads for most small critters with headshots.
Border_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 21 Oct 2022, 2:03 pm

Surprised no one has mentioned 50bmg
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by madang55 » 21 Oct 2022, 5:49 pm

Ask the Rescue mob to call the police. The police probably wont do the job but look for someone who will and call them in. I know a guy who did exactly that to put down a wallaby (in a creek) behind the Greensborough RSL. Surrounded by shops, etc. It then becomes a "police action" and then the rest is up to you. If you have a Hornet, perfect for that work. All those mentioned above as well. Accuracy over distance is your main concern. Go to the local cops and ask them what their stand is. You never know.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles