Problems with the Savage Mark II series?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Problems with the Savage Mark II series?

Post by jwai86 » 14 Oct 2022, 3:54 pm

I've been bouncing questions about rifles off someone at my club because he once operated his own firearms dealership in Sydney. He told me to stay away from anything from Savage Arms. I've yet to confirm his reasons for not liking the brand, but I've also seen positive opinions about the Savage Mark II rimfire rifles being good for their price.

I've read that some issues with the Mark II include the factory synthetic stock being unsuited for use with a scope without additional modification, and the magazines falling apart after a while.

Is there anything else that I should be aware of?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Problems with the Savage Mark II series?

Post by northdude » 14 Oct 2022, 4:13 pm

some people have their pet hates as far as firearms go. My wife has a scoped mk2 savage 22lr never had a problem with it in the 5 years she's had it. She's got a savage 7 08 as well same thing never had a problem with it I've had a savage 223 and 243 same again no problems. All of ours have been really accurate as well...
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by allan » 15 Oct 2022, 11:14 am

I've spent much of my life buying/selling/building rim fires in search of the "ultimate" 22LR. Years ago, I bought a couple of Mark II's and was so taken with the performance of these rifles (for what they cost), that I decided to make "project" rifles out of both. Sunshine Coast Gunsmithing & Trentech built these and both have been faultless ever since.

I haven't shot them much in the past few years as I've been playing around with the new 700 footprint rim fires but the current round count is just shy of 15k. I have 8 mags & heaps of spare parts for these rifles as I honestly expected issues with extractors, firing pins etc. They only parts I have ever replaced are firing pin springs (which I do regularly on all my rim fires.).

The sporter is just a nice little plinker but in 2012, the heavy barrel shot a 20X5 @50 that we have never been able to better with any other repeater I've owned.

Just my take based on 2. I've read numerous complaints re various aspects of these Mark II's over the years. Based on personal experience, I'll just say that cost is irrelevant when it comes to rifle purchases - Every manufacturer puts out a dud occasionally!

allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by IanSM » 15 Oct 2022, 1:51 pm

Currently shooting a Mk11 left handed, scoped and have previously owned one in 22mag as well. Never had a problem with either. Best thing is ,it shoots CCI Standard and Mini mag as well or better than the expensive brands. Absolutly loves the standards. I use mine regularly for target plinking, and light hunting. Currently mounted with Bushnell Rimfire. Some people may have had a bad experience with them. But a couple of friends have them as well and really enjoy them. IMHO ,hard to beat for value.
IanSM
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by IanSM » 15 Oct 2022, 1:57 pm

Should say have also owned model 93, Savage Axis in 308. Found all to be accurate out of the box and reliable. Are they a Sako or an Anschutz? No ,of course not. But as I said above ,value for money, hard to beat .I also own Ruger 17hmr RPR and Tikka varmint in 6.5CM. so not just a Savage fanboy.
IanSM
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 15 Oct 2022, 11:13 pm

allan wrote:I've spent much of my life buying/selling/building rim fires in search of the "ultimate" 22LR. Years ago, I bought a couple of Mark II's and was so taken with the performance of these rifles (for what they cost), that I decided to make "project" rifles out of both. Sunshine Coast Gunsmithing & Trentech built these and both have been faultless ever since.

I haven't shot them much in the past few years as I've been playing around with the new 700 footprint rim fires but the current round count is just shy of 15k. I have 8 mags & heaps of spare parts for these rifles as I honestly expected issues with extractors, firing pins etc. They only parts I have ever replaced are firing pin springs (which I do regularly on all my rim fires.).

The sporter is just a nice little plinker but in 2012, the heavy barrel shot a 20X5 @50 that we have never been able to better with any other repeater I've owned.

Just my take based on 2. I've read numerous complaints re various aspects of these Mark II's over the years. Based on personal experience, I'll just say that cost is irrelevant when it comes to rifle purchases - Every manufacturer puts out a dud occasionally!

Alan I have every bit of respect for you and your rim fires but are those two Savage rifles sporting Savage barrels reason I ask is the op was asking about Factory guns I have built many a Remington with maddco barrels turned out to be fantastic long-range shooters but they would be far from that with their factory barrel.
The way I see rifles is 90% of the accuracy is in the barrel the other 10% is what you do with the action and the bedding and trigger .
please take no offence just my opinion
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by allan » 16 Oct 2022, 9:00 am

Deye243...No offence taken - You know me well enough to realize that rim fires are my hobby and I do things which most would consider "stupid and a waste of money".
No, about the only thing factory on these two are the serial numbers! Both are threaded and fitted with match chambered Maddcos.
The only reason I had these built was that my wife loved them in original form and I had to admit that they functioned perfectly "out of the carton" and were as accurate as anyone could reasonably expect given the $400.00 price tag! I've seen some horror stories (backed by bore scope pictures) of Mark II barrels & the bolts usually require a lot of "finishing" work to avoid premature wear.
As far as duds go...I once paid US$5k for a Cooper & then had to import it. The thing came with a pedigree a mile long but was such a dog that we had to re-build it from scratch - Including a re-barrel. So yes, it can happen with the best manufacturers. I have a RIM X leaving the US this week - I asked for that one to be function and accuracy tested to my satisfaction BEFORE it left the shop!!!!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by jwai86 » 16 Oct 2022, 12:55 pm

I didn't think about it when I posted the thread, but yes, I'm asking about the rifles as they come from the factory. Being able to improve upon a cheap rifle is nice, but there's bound to be a point where modifications become more expensive in money, time and effort than getting something a bit more upmarket to begin with.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fionn » 16 Oct 2022, 8:17 pm

I have a Savage Mark II factory standard and its one of my most accurate 22's, seems to like any ammo, but shoots amazingly good with CCI Standard ammo. Their is nothing that I could complain about for its price.

While deye243 has spent silly amounts on the rifle (to me) its shows that the base is a good one to start from.

That said I have a 25 year old Norinco that's stupidly accurate for a dirt dirt cheap rifle.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rossfrb » 16 Oct 2022, 8:46 pm

Some years ago I was looking at a brand spankers SAVAGE MKII 22LR BTVS LAMINATE THUMBHOLE VARMINT S/S in the shop.
What I wasn't impressed with was the wood to metal fit, especially just under the bolt - there was this rather large (I thought) gap.
That and the magazine release was this flimsy looking thin flap of metal.
I've never heard anyone complain about them breaking but I just didn't warm to it (and I really wanted to like the rifle).
rb
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by juano86 » 17 Oct 2022, 7:01 am

I have 2 x Savage Mkii's and i absolutely love them. I the Mrs has the timber stocked sporter version and it shoots factory Winchester & CCI ammo very accurately. We have had it for a good 5yrs. It is pretty well standard and has a leupold 3-9x40 on it.
I'm currently also building up a Varmint model with a rifle basix trigger, Boyd's At-One stock and a Sightron 4-20x50 STAC scope for more of a target plinker.

Like others have mentioned - for $500 they are probably the best out of the box rimfire you can buy for the money.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by AneemA » 30 Dec 2023, 4:10 pm

Just realised I'm reviving a very old thread... but I've come this far so may as well keep going.

In 2014 (or 15?) I bought a little Savage Arms Mark II F (if I recall correctly) with a fixed 4x scope for less than $500 new. It was the bottom of the bottom available at my local shop. I loved that little rifle, it shot brilliantly. It lives with a mate of mine now and I didn't have the heart to reclaim it from him. He also loves that rifle and thinks the world of it.
AneemA
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles