Loving the .17 WSM

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Loving the .17 WSM

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Oct 2022, 7:31 pm

I’m now fully converted and absolutely loving my new Ruger .17 WSM. Having recently re discovered a past hunting ground that is fully ripe with bunnies,, I’ve been fixing the little blighters up left right and centre. I’ll probably jinx myself by saying this,, but over the past 3 days, hunting both early mornings as well as afternoons until dark,,,, I haven’t yet missed one. This little rifle is the nearest thing I’ll ever own to a laser. The real interesting thing I’ve noticed is the difference between the .17 WSM and the .17 HMR. Both rifles are heavy barreled timber stocked and short. The HMR when firing imparts a slightly perceptible recoil,, but the WSM has absolutely zero feel of recoil. This very fact has me intrigued,,,, But there is no doubt at all,, I love this little rifle. I’ve yet to try it out on Brer Fox.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Loving the .17 WSM

Post by bigpete » 21 Oct 2022, 7:34 pm

Clearly the hmr is more powerful
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Billo » 21 Oct 2022, 7:44 pm

It's sure is a great round, I've owned 2 of the Ruger wizzums and Laser is a good description

They do like a bit of glass bedding and respond to a trigger spring change also. Trajectory is similar to a 223 so ranging foxes, hares and rabbits is pretty easy
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Oct 2022, 8:12 pm

bigpete wrote:Clearly the hmr is more powerful

Not being a reloader or Xpert on ammo, but I was of the opinion that the WSM is based on the Ramset case that enables slightly more powder than the HMR,,,,, which is why I was surprised to NOT feel any recoil at all. Maybe the reloaders, and caliber Xperia on here can provide more info ??? I just love shooting without really getting into the nitty gritty.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Oct 2022, 8:21 pm

Billo wrote:It's sure is a great round, I've owned 2 of the Ruger wizzums and Laser is a good description

They do like a bit of glass bedding and respond to a trigger spring change also. Trajectory is similar to a 223 so ranging foxes, hares and rabbits is pretty easy

Agreed,,,,,,, but all I’ve done with this one is the trigger job, and at the moment I can’t see much point in glass bedding, even though I’ve done 99% of my other rifles with decidedly improved end results. I did look into bedding and floating it before I did the trigger job but it looked to be a damm difficult procedure compared to other brands/models.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 Oct 2022, 8:29 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

Not being a reloader or Xpert on ammo, but I was of the opinion that the WSM is based on the Ramset case that enables slightly more powder than the HMR,,,,, which is why I was surprised to NOT feel any recoil at all. Maybe the reloaders, and caliber Xperia on here can provide more info ??? I just love shooting without really getting into the nitty gritty.

The WSM should be a step up from the HMR. Recoil is recoil, but felt or perceived recoil is all down to the design of the firearm and how the recoil is imparted into the shooter.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Oct 2022, 8:59 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

I was being extremely facetious
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Oct 2022, 9:22 pm

bigpete wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:

I was being extremely facetious
Not a problem Big Pete,,,,, Appreciated.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 22 Oct 2022, 8:58 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

You are correct it is based on the Ramset 270 case
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by 8mm Mauser » 23 Oct 2022, 7:02 pm

A couple of years ago I saw a guy picking up an AR in 17WSM for a gun shop, looked like a beast option for cat c users.
8mm Mauser
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 27 Oct 2022, 8:11 pm

I am interested in getting a 17wsm next year if I can get one. Good to hear someone is happy with their choice to get one. I like the look of the Ruger 77/17 stainless. The only problem is that there are none too be had according to Nioa when I rang them. They said they have ordered plenty of them, but Ruger isn’t shipping them as they are selling all that they can build into the US market.

If I had my time over I would buy the 17 wsm over the 17hmr that I actually got. The wsm offers a fairly big step up in performance over the hmr.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Lazarus » 27 Oct 2022, 8:44 pm

As a previous owner of a WSM who frequently regrets the decision to part with it, I can attest to the power of this miniature artillery round on ferals.

The rabbit below was hit at ~90m.
This round takes no prisoners.
20160909_143120_50.jpg
20160909_143120_50.jpg (591.19 KiB) Viewed 2777 times
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Oct 2022, 8:16 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:I am interested in getting a 17wsm next year if I can get one. Good to hear someone is happy with their choice to get one. I like the look of the Ruger 77/17 stainless. The only problem is that there are none too be had according to Nioa when I rang them. They said they have ordered plenty of them, but Ruger isn’t shipping them as they are selling all that they can build into the US market.

If I had my time over I would buy the 17 wsm over the 17hmr that I actually got. The wsm offers a fairly big step up in performance over the hmr.

Yeah Mate,,,,,, that is what I got,, the 77/.17 WSM Stainless in Walnut.
I fell in love with the round after watching some you tube vids of its capabilities.
Shortly thereafter two of the major gun shops had the ammo out on special, and I jumped in and bought a total of 4,500 rounds. (ridiculously cheap too)
Then I started looking for the rifle, and got the same answer as you have stated.
None in Australia,,,,, and an expected wait of 18 months at best after ordering one.
Feeling rather despondent at that, I placed a "Wanted Ad" on used guns,,, and got a phone call 3 days later from a dealer that had just aquired one from a person that was quitting shooting.
Technically 2nd hand,, but it had never been fired.

Yep,,,,, it's a great little rifle and you won't be disappointed if you manage to get one.

I also have a CZ 453 .17 HMR with the factory set trigger which is also a great rifle,,, but I'll now probably sell it.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Jakethefake » 29 Oct 2022, 9:16 pm

How's the cost and availability of the ammo? It seems like a pretty cool little round, I'm not sure I'd have much use for it though. My 17HMR rarely comes out of the safe these days. If I need more punch than the 22lr I always find myself reaching for the 223.
Jakethefake
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 29 Oct 2022, 11:15 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:I am interested in getting a 17wsm next year if I can get one. Good to hear someone is happy with their choice to get one. I like the look of the Ruger 77/17 stainless. The only problem is that there are none too be had according to Nioa when I rang them. They said they have ordered plenty of them, but Ruger isn’t shipping them as they are selling all that they can build into the US market.

Yeah Mate,,,,,, that is what I got,, the 77/.17 WSM Stainless in Walnut.
I fell in love with the round after watching some you tube vids of its capabilities.
Shortly thereafter two of the major gun shops had the ammo out on special, and I jumped in and bought a total of 4,500 rounds. (ridiculously cheap too)
Then I started looking for the rifle, and got the same answer as you have stated.
None in Australia,,,,, and an expected wait of 18 months at best after ordering one.
Feeling rather despondent at that, I placed a "Wanted Ad" on used guns,,, and got a phone call 3 days later from a dealer that had just aquired one from a person that was quitting shooting.
Technically 2nd hand,, but it had never been fired.

Yep,,,,, it's a great little rifle and you won't be disappointed if you manage to get one.

I also have a CZ 453 .17 HMR with the factory set trigger which is also a great rifle,,, but I'll now probably sell it.

I know what I’m like. Once I have decided I want something, it’s just a matter time before I get it. I will definitely order one, but I know it is likely to take a long time before one is available. I think the WSM will be a good foxing option on the smaller properties I shoot on. The Ruger looks to be a very nice Rifle.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 30 Oct 2022, 10:28 am

I'd definitely have one over my 17hmr if Cz had made their 452 chambered for it. I don't see the point in buying a rimfire that weighs as much as a centrefire,and I don't like the savage,the only one I've seen that I liked is the winchester 1895
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Oct 2022, 10:37 am

100_6231.JPG
100_6231.JPG (393.02 KiB) Viewed 2665 times
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 30 Oct 2022, 5:38 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
100_6231.JPG

That’s a good looking rifle. I definitely want one.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 30 Oct 2022, 5:58 pm

Jakethefake wrote:How's the cost and availability of the ammo? It seems like a pretty cool little round, I'm not sure I'd have much use for it though. My 17HMR rarely comes out of the safe these days. If I need more punch than the 22lr I always find myself reaching for the 223.

About cost, in Tas, a mate tells me that it is anywhere from $34.00 to $50.00 depending on brand. Makes for some expensive shooting when you are throwing away the brass.
That said I am still collecting the brass as it should make some very nice .257” projectiles. Time will tell.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Billo » 30 Oct 2022, 6:06 pm

Love the bit of timber Die Judicii :thumbsup:

Do yourself a favour and grab a Tikka T3x varmint forend, they fit like a glove and will give you some protection for your walnut and offer a more stable platform.

Here's a pic of my 20 Hornet with a soft touch forend and my old 17 WSM without. :drinks:

Last edited by Billo on 30 Oct 2022, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Oct 2022, 7:16 pm

Bills Shed wrote:About cost, in Tas, a mate tells me that it is anywhere from $34.00 to $50.00 depending on brand. Makes for some expensive shooting when you are throwing away the brass.
That said I am still collecting the brass as it should make some very nice .257” projectiles. Time will tell.

Bill

When I bought my bulk lot it was 24 cents per round. :D
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bills Shed » 31 Oct 2022, 6:37 pm

I bought a bit myself when they first came out as it was so cheap. Thought of it as an “ investment”
I doubt that they sold it at that price as a loss so the current prices are just crazy profit.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Oct 2022, 11:04 pm

Billo wrote:Love the bit of timber Die Judicii :thumbsup:

Do yourself a favour and grab a Tikka T3x varmint forend, they fit like a glove and will give you some protection for your walnut and offer a more stable platform.

Here's a pic of my 20 Hornet with a soft touch forend and my old 17 WSM without. :drinks:

Me thinks your laminated stock would be a different profile to my walnut ??? :unknown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Billo » 01 Nov 2022, 1:54 am

No I believe the fore end profile is the same.
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 03 Nov 2022, 9:38 am

bigpete wrote:I'd definitely have one over my 17hmr if Cz had made their 452 chambered for it. I don't see the point in buying a rimfire that weighs as much as a centrefire,and I don't like the savage,the only one I've seen that I liked is the winchester 1895

G'day bigpete,
Not being picky, just asking as one who owned a Savage in 17WSM and regrets parting with it, what's not to like?
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 03 Nov 2022, 10:29 am

bigpete wrote:I'd definitely have one over my 17hmr if Cz had made their 452 chambered for it. I don't see the point in buying a rimfire that weighs as much as a centrefire,and I don't like the savage,the only one I've seen that I liked is the winchester 1895

Simple. 50c/shot for 200m performance under questionable windage. Sure you may be able to achieve such economics with say a 223 - but only by handloading.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 03 Nov 2022, 4:51 pm

Ive bought 8000 plus rounds of 17 WSM, paid $16.00/box 50 or 33 cents a round, was a few years ago but reflected the discounts available for bulk buying :drinks:
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Nov 2022, 5:12 pm

Billo wrote:Ive bought 8000 plus rounds of 17 WSM, paid $16.00/box 50 or 33 cents a round, was a few years ago but reflected the discounts available for bulk buying :drinks:

Thanks heaps for the tip about the T3x fire end. I ordered and paid for one today. Now I’ll be like a kid on Xmas eve ,, waiting to get it and try it.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 03 Nov 2022, 6:51 pm

in2anity wrote:

Simple. 50c/shot for 200m performance under questionable windage. Sure you may be able to achieve such economics with say a 223 - but only by handloading.

I'm not sure what your argument is ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 03 Nov 2022, 6:52 pm

Lazarus wrote:

G'day bigpete,
Not being picky, just asking as one who owned a Savage in 17WSM and regrets parting with it, what's not to like?

They're ugly and I don't like them? Do I need much more reason?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles