Older model Anschutz rimfire rifles

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Older model Anschutz rimfire rifles

Post by jwai86 » 09 Dec 2022, 3:08 pm

Current model Anschutz rifles are super expensive, but I often see Anschutz Model 1415, 1416, 1450 or 1451 rifles going for far less on the online used market.

Does anyone here know how well they compare to newer rifles, and whether parts for those models can be easily found in Australia?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Older model Anschutz rimfire rifles

Post by bigpete » 09 Dec 2022, 3:58 pm

I've got an older one,was rough as f***,looks like s**t,but goddamn it shoots well !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by jwai86 » 09 Dec 2022, 4:01 pm

bigpete wrote:I've got an older one,was rough as f***,looks like s**t,but goddamn it shoots well !

Do you recall what model it is?
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by LawrenceA » 09 Dec 2022, 5:04 pm

jwai86 wrote:Current model Anschutz rifles are super expensive, but I often see Anschutz Model 1415, 1416, 1450 or 1451 rifles going for far less on the online used market.

Does anyone here know how well they compare to newer rifles, and whether parts for those models can be easily found in Australia?

They all shoot.
I have a 1972 Anschutz. Accurate enough to head shoot a fly at 50 metres
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 09 Dec 2022, 5:29 pm

jwai86 wrote:
bigpete wrote:I've got an older one,was rough as f***,looks like s**t,but goddamn it shoots well !

Do you recall what model it is?

No idea
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 09 Dec 2022, 6:41 pm

There are still budget model Anschutz’s, even lemons that shoot worse than a modern budget 22. I believe the 1450 is a smaller beech stock more for youths. I wouldn’t bank on a 1450 printing bug holes; but this is generally reflected in the price tag. Yu get what yu pay for.

I think the 1415 is the 64 action which is not as sturdy as the famous match 54. Nevertheless there are plenty of 64s that shoot extremely well.

The best way to ensure a tack driver, is to buy an Annie with the 54 action. But you will pay the big premium - they are the crème-de-le-crème.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by allan » 09 Dec 2022, 6:45 pm

I've owned Anschutz sporters continuously since the mid 60's.
As with anything firearms related on the second hand market, condition is everything. A well cared for 64 action 1416 has the potential to be an excellent all round 22LR and the older versions were often better finished than the latest offerings by Anschutz.
The 64 action has been replaced by the 1761 so the source of parts will slowly dry up for these now.The older 18XX series 54 action target/match rifles come up for sale occasionally - Make good range rifles but too heavy to lug around as a hunting rifle. Most parts for these are still available but rarely required IMO.
Two of the most accurate and well built rim fires I own are a 1979 Walther Moving Target and an Anschutz 1808EDS built in 1986. These two are fitted with some of the better triggers ever to be offered on rim fires and are Vudoo accurate.
Bottom line...Be patient and follow the used market...Sooner or later something decent will appear at a good price.

https://usedguns.com.au/search-results/?gunsCategories=used_air_rimfire_rifles&gunsCalibre=22LR&gunsConditions&gunsStates=QLD&keyword=anschutz%201416&includeSold=1

allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Dec 2022, 6:51 pm

I have been on the lookout for a Super Match 1813 for a while, it is not the easiest thing to find the Anschutz you are looking for.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 09 Dec 2022, 7:12 pm

I have an 1807 in the 1611 stock I think? It’s a dedicated prone rifle as you said Allan - very similar profile to my Phil Maston TR stock, which was a very deliberate choice, so I can move between the two rifles. That 1807 is phenomenally accurate - I only made a video with it recently, shooting the new cheap Eley Standard ammo https://youtu.be/KHUfUCI-VnM . With Tennex you don’t see any 8s, and the 9s come from lapse in concentration.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 09 Dec 2022, 8:49 pm

I have .22LR made in 1964. Trying to identify the model number for certain is very difficult. I have been in contact with Anschutz in regards to it, and it seems it will be 1415 or 1416, and has a non-adjustable trigger that was only supplied to the Australian market. So when you look at the specs for all the models, it does not quite match up.

I find this trigger to be a disappointment compared to my centrefires.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by macjeffrey » 09 Dec 2022, 11:12 pm

I had a 1450. Couldn’t get it to shoot anything near a decent group. Tried everything then flogged it. Avoid. Get a budget modern 22.
macjeffrey
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by allan » 10 Dec 2022, 10:17 am

macjeffrey wrote:I had a 1450. Couldn’t get it to shoot anything near a decent group. Tried everything then flogged it. Avoid. Get a budget modern 22.

As much as I appreciate "old school" rim fires. I'd have to agree with this. Unless you can actually test fire and function test an older Anschutz (or any other make), there's no guarantee that it will work out for you.

These past few years, so many new 22LR options have hit the market and there has never been a better time to be looking for a new one!
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Dec 2022, 5:58 pm

macjeffrey wrote:I had a 1450. Couldn’t get it to shoot anything near a decent group. Tried everything then flogged it. Avoid. Get a budget modern 22.

When you say everything, you put a aftermarket barrel and a tuner on it?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Elmer » 14 Dec 2022, 3:43 pm

I had 3 1516Ds in the past 10 to 15yrs .22mag, sold everyone of them.
Didn't think they were all that great for the money you pay for them.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by in2anity » 14 Dec 2022, 3:58 pm

Elmer wrote:I had 3 1516Ds in the past 10 to 15yrs .22mag, sold everyone of them.

probs crap ammo.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by macjeffrey » 14 Dec 2022, 11:09 pm

SCJ429 wrote:

When you say everything, you put a aftermarket barrel and a tuner on it?

I only paid $500 for it so wasn’t prepared to go that far. Had it recrowned, bedded and added a second action screw as it only had one in front of the magazine. Also bought a new magazine as it had feeding issues. Tried every brand of ammo I could find and various action tensions. Sold it. Bought a cz 455 that is a tack driver and feeds perfectly.
macjeffrey
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 15 Dec 2022, 7:57 am

20221215_082523.jpg
20221215_082523.jpg (372.87 KiB) Viewed 3975 times

Here's mine. No idea off the top of my head what model it is although I must have at some stage as I bought a new magazine for it.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 15 Dec 2022, 10:03 am

Anschutz are great rifles but you have to be careful that the bore is not shot out . Many of them were used in small bore target shooting which means the guns outward condition looks great but they have fired a lot of rounds . Buying any secondhand gun is a lottery .
If you have to get a new barrel then you may as well have bought a new gun .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by in2anity » 15 Dec 2022, 10:23 am

JohnV wrote:Anschutz are great rifles but you have to be careful that the bore is not shot out . Many of them were used in small bore target shooting which means the guns outward condition looks great but they have fired a lot of rounds . Buying any secondhand gun is a lottery .

A smallbore rifle will last multiple generations, if cleaned with care. Haven't heard of too many smallbore rifles being "shot out".
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 15 Dec 2022, 12:46 pm

JohnV wrote:Anschutz are great rifles but you have to be careful that the bore is not shot out . Many of them were used in small bore target shooting which means the guns outward condition looks great but they have fired a lot of rounds . Buying any secondhand gun is a lottery .

Pretty sure I've never heard of a "shot out" .22LR barrel. Plenty of damaged ones. Years ago I saw a video of a 10-22 target rifle with a "million-round barrel" on it, but I've never been able to find the story again.

My brother bought an Annie to ensure getting something that shot well, I was never able to get it to shoot remotely as well as my Rugers, even with the $50 ammo. I was pretty sure the barrel was bent down as I couldn't zero a scope on it but never got around to confirming it, or straightening it before he sold it. I have never made any sense of Annie model numbers, closest I could determine it was probably an MSR(?) 64 action. It also did not like any Eley ammo, giving a ridiculous number of light strikes, all of which worked fine in my other rifles. Overall the experience was painful. Get a CZ instead.
Last edited by bladeracer on 15 Dec 2022, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 15 Dec 2022, 4:35 pm

in2anity wrote:
Elmer wrote:I had 3 1516Ds in the past 10 to 15yrs .22mag, sold everyone of them.

probs crap ammo.

Could be, there wasn't a lot to choose from 25 years ago.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by JohnV » 15 Dec 2022, 7:43 pm

I tend to agree , get a CZ 457 American.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 15 Dec 2022, 7:46 pm

in2anity wrote:

A smallbore rifle will last multiple generations, if cleaned with care. Haven't heard of too many smallbore rifles being "shot out".

People keep saying that but I have seen them shot out by one single owner to the point they loose the best accuracy .
Target shooters put a lot more rounds through than hunters . Of course you have not heard because people don't say , My gun is worn and lost it's best accuracy do you want to buy it ? People buy one like that and it shoots reasonable groups and they think it's fine which it probably is for hunting . We were talking about the older models which could have been fired a lot .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by jwai86 » 16 Dec 2022, 9:09 am

bladeracer wrote:Overall the experience was painful. Get a CZ instead.

That's still my intention, but given the above replies about difficulties with older Anschutz rifles, I now have some idea why they don't get quickly snapped up from the used market despite the brand being highly reputable.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 16 Dec 2022, 10:46 am

Funny,my Annie will put 10 shots into about ½" at 60m with a fixed 4x scope leaning out the car window....I can't ask more than that out of something that I had to clean cobwebs and built up grease out of the action and barrel when I inherited it.....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles