What pcp to buy

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

What pcp to buy

Post by Faedy » 05 Jan 2023, 12:08 am

PCP air rifles. A few mates have begun to go down this rabbit hole.
Ive always had a soft spot for the old air rifle, and currently have a Weihrauch 97K in .177.
Mates have been getting the FX Dreamlines/ impact or the Stoeger.
So Im now keen to have a go with one of these.
Who owns one, and can you help steer me in the right direction.
TIA
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: What pcp to buy

Post by northdude » 05 Jan 2023, 6:48 am

Dont know if you can get them over there but Ive got an airforce talon. Very accurate and good at close range on possums etc
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Jan 2023, 7:54 am

Question would be what do you want it for, competition or plinking?
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Faedy » 06 Jan 2023, 12:08 am

Mostly plinking, but we have a group of approx 15 of us that all get together a couple of times a year and have fairly serious comps on private properties
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by scoot » 06 Jan 2023, 8:17 am

I've got an fx dreamline and it's a pretty good thing. Fx seem to be the staple go to for pcp.
The only negatives are cost and sanity. They can be a rabbit hole as far as all the little "tuning" tricks. It's easy to get caught up in changing this and that, especially with constantly changing tech and accessories. My advice would be to chose a pellet / slug, ballpark velocity you want and once it's "tuned" to work well just leave it alone.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by rc42 » 06 Jan 2023, 10:25 am

My PCP plinking air rifle of choice would be an Evanix Airspeed semi-auto, there are other models but they seem to be bullpup designs which don't appeal to me.
They are available as Cat A in Australia although if they are banned anywhere it will be WA.

Might be worth picking a price point too, PCP air rifles are available from under $1,000 to $5,000+
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 06 Jan 2023, 11:04 am

I've had a few a PCP airguns but the one I can't part with is my FX Royale 400 in 177 calibre, it might be old school to the current batch of FX airguns but it is every bit as accurate to 50m and it is dead reliable, in 8yrs have only needed to replace 1 breech o-ring and no air leaks, on the lowest power setting it will get over 200 shots per fill and on the highest setting it gets around 120 shots. Shot count per fill needs to be taken into account if you don't access to HPA or have a 300bar scuba tank for refilling, trust me, refilling a PCP with a hand pump is painful.
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Biscuits » 09 Jan 2023, 3:44 pm

I’m not up with air rifle laws. Can you buy semi auto air rifles?
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jan 2023, 5:08 pm

Biscuits wrote:I’m not up with air rifle laws. Can you buy semi auto air rifles?

I don't think any legislation in any state as moved any air-rifles out of CatA...yet, just a matter of time. Somebody told me a year or so back that modern big-bore air-rifles are heading into CatB as soon as they can write the legislation, no idea if that's rumour or fact though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 09 Jan 2023, 5:20 pm

"Semi Automatic air rifles are legal in Australia in all states except WA on a category A license"

According to https://hermannsguns.com.au/evanix-air- ... air-rifle/
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Jan 2023, 6:20 pm

rc42 wrote:"Semi Automatic air rifles are legal in Australia in all states except WA on a category A license"

Is it an actual law or does WA simply refuse to licence them?
https://www.police.wa.gov.au/About-Us/Our-Agency/Police-Licensing-Services/Firearms-Licensing/Firearms-Licence#:~:text=Category%20A%20(low%20powered),to%20Commonwealth%20or%20State%20Government)
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-01-09 192023.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-09 192023.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 1672 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 10 Jan 2023, 12:46 pm

bladeracer wrote:
rc42 wrote:"Semi Automatic air rifles are legal in Australia in all states except WA on a category A license"

Is it an actual law or does WA simply refuse to licence them?
https://www.police.wa.gov.au/About-Us/Our-Agency/Police-Licensing-Services/Firearms-Licensing/Firearms-Licence#:~:text=Category%20A%20(low%20powered),to%20Commonwealth%20or%20State%20Government)

The crossman 1077 co2 semi auto air rifle is more of a toy than a serious gun, but legally is a semi auto air rifle, and a number of those were sold here a few years ago.

There's nothing in our legislation that restricts air rifles by action or operation type.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jan 2023, 1:35 pm

geoff wrote:The crossman 1077 co2 semi auto air rifle is more of a toy than a serious gun, but legally is a semi auto air rifle, and a number of those were sold here a few years ago.

There's nothing in our legislation that restricts air rifles by action or operation type.

Is it legally classed as a semi-auto though as it's a trigger-operated revolver action. Other revolver carbine designs are not classed as semi-auto anywhere as far as I'm aware.

I agree the design is more of a plaything than useful for hunting, I have the Umarex Ruger 10/22 .177 which is built on the 1077 base. But it is surprisingly accurate even in the hands of complete novices. Holds around the 600fps mark with cheap pellets.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles