Steer zephyr 2 FS

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Steer zephyr 2 FS

Post by CRF » 24 Apr 2023, 7:34 pm

Anyone heard much about the new steyr zephyr? Look nice.

I'm thinking of selling my trombone and buying a fullstock 22lr to shoot a few bunnies and for the kids ro learn on some day.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Steer zephyr 2 FS

Post by JohnV » 25 Apr 2023, 4:06 pm

No I don't know anything , except it looks pretty nice .
But I just learnt something the Americans found that the CZ American using the same ammunition was more accurate than the Styer . Probably partly due to the CZ having a longer barrel .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 25 Apr 2023, 4:21 pm

JohnV wrote:No I don't know anything , except it looks pretty nice .
But I just learnt something the Americans found that the CZ American using the same ammunition was more accurate than the Steyr . Probably partly due to the CZ having a longer barrel .

Or perhaps it just prefers different ammunition?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 25 Apr 2023, 4:25 pm

Well both using the same ammunition is a credible test and the CZ out shot it with all three brands and it's nearly half the price in the US .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by CRF » 25 Apr 2023, 6:17 pm

Definitely not half the price here, $1250 vs $1850, CZ in a half stock only. I like CZ, own 2 but am keen on a fullstock.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 25 Apr 2023, 6:38 pm

It is a nice looking rifle to be sure . Full stocking to the muzzle if that's what you mean will further degrade accuracy especially over time if the fore wood warps but if that is what you want go for it .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by CRF » 25 Apr 2023, 7:48 pm

JohnV wrote:It is a nice looking rifle to be sure . Full stocking to the muzzle if that's what you mean will further degrade accuracy especially over time if the fore wood warps but if that is what you want go for it .

How many warped stocks have you run across?
Ive got 15, 20 and 40 year old full stock guns and they're still more accurate than me. The few original flintlock long rifles around from the 18th century in shootable condition are still accurate. Unless you buy s**t or you're consistently abusing a gun it's hard to warp a stock.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 26 Apr 2023, 11:21 am

CRF I reckon one of the Steyr Zephyr in a FS would be a nice bit of kit, CZ are OK but not in the same class as a Steyr. :thumbsup:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 27 Apr 2023, 6:44 pm

CRF wrote:
JohnV wrote:It is a nice looking rifle to be sure . Full stocking to the muzzle if that's what you mean will further degrade accuracy especially over time if the fore wood warps but if that is what you want go for it .

How many warped stocks have you run across?
Ive got 15, 20 and 40 year old full stock guns and they're still more accurate than me. The few original flintlock long rifles around from the 18th century in shootable condition are still accurate. Unless you buy s**t or you're consistently abusing a gun it's hard to warp a stock.

2 of my own and probably half a dozen others and they weren't Mannlicher stocks either which are even more vulnerable . Wooden stocks warp constantly even when they are well sealed it's just you don't pick it up unless your gun shoots very well normally and suddenly the accuracy drops off .
Re-bed the stock and normal accuracy returns . Warp pressure has been removed . Your concept of a warped stock is something that you can see easily , that's wrong . Your comments show a lack of understanding of how stress on an action and barrel can ruin fine accuracy .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles