Possibly stuck re: .22 LR ammo selection

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Possibly stuck re: .22 LR ammo selection

Post by jwai86 » 23 Jul 2023, 12:44 pm

So far, I have tried the following ammo with my CZ 457 Synthetic rifle (20" sporter barrel):

CCI Standard Velocity (40gr 1,070 fps)
CCI Quiet-22 (40gr 710 fps)
CCI Clean-22 HV (40gr 1,235 fps)
CCI Mini Mag (40gr 1,235 fps CPRN)
CCI Mini Mag (36gr 1,260 fps HP)
CCI Subsonic (40gr 1,050 fps)
Eley Sport (40gr 1,090 fps)
Federal Target Standard Velocity (40gr 1,080 fps)
Winchester Subsonic (42gr 1,065 fps)
Winchester T22 (40gr 1,085 fps)
Winchester Super X Match (40gr 1,150 fps)

My ammo of choice keeps coming back to CCI Standard Velocity despite the likelihood that there's something out there that groups better than it. It's readily available at the shops in my area, and a $70-75 brick of 500 rounds lasts a while. I'm finding it hard to consider alternatives given its cost-effectiveness and availability.

Should I revisit anything I've previously tried in case I've overlooked something? Any recommendations for other ammo to try assuming I can get it?
Last edited by jwai86 on 23 Jul 2023, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jwai86
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Possibly stuck re: .22 LR ammo selection

Post by deye243 » 23 Jul 2023, 1:14 pm

Grab some Norma tac22 it's on clearance atm was $198 a brick now it's $90 odd
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jul 2023, 3:11 pm

CCI Standard Velocity is my go-to, it shoots extremely well for me, on par with the top line Eley stuff. And it's cheap and readily available. If you can find other ammo then it's never a bad thing to try it, but the CCI should be giving you 29mm groups at 100m without too much difficulty.

jwai86 wrote:So far, I have tried the following ammo with my CZ 457 Synthetic rifle (20" sporter barrel):

CCI Standard Velocity (40gr 1,070 fps)
CCI Quiet-22 (40gr 710 fps)
CCI Clean-22 HV (40gr 1,235 fps)
CCI Mini Mag (40gr 1,235 fps CPRN)
CCI Mini Mag (36gr 1,260 fps HP)
CCI Subsonic (40gr 1,050 fps)
Eley Sport (40gr 1,090 fps)
Federal Target Standard Velocity (40gr 1,080 fps)
Winchester Subsonic (42gr 1,065 fps)
Winchester T22 (40gr 1,085 fps)
Winchester Super X Match (40gr 1,150 fps)

My ammo of choice keeps coming back to CCI Standard Velocity despite the likelihood that there's something out there that groups better than it. It's readily available at the shops in my area, and a $70-75 brick of 500 rounds lasts a while. I'm finding it hard to consider alternatives given its cost-effectiveness and availability.

Should I revisit anything I've previously tried in case I've overlooked something? Any recommendations for other ammo to try assuming I can get it?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jul 2023, 4:33 pm

Have tried Eley club? A consistant performer in Brno's M2
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 23 Jul 2023, 5:07 pm

I use plain old Winchester Power Point in my Brno for hunting and they shoot really good . I have also used T22 and they were ok also . The more expensive target stuff is not really needed for hunting . The main thing is to find acceptable accuracy in a brand so you can then confidently buy a brick or two . Make note of the batch numbers on or inside the box and try to buy more of the same batch .
Make sure the bricks are the same batch .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by in2anity » 23 Jul 2023, 9:49 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Have tried Eley club? A consistant performer in Brno's M2

This was going to be my suggestion, given the current supply. Go up to Eley Team or Match if you want more 10s. SK is a known performer also, I use SK Rifle Match for smallbore and i am barely as capable as it, on a good day. Very hard to get currently.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jul 2023, 9:37 am

Yes, SK match was best perfomer in my Brno M2

But best to test before buying several bricks. .
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 24 Jul 2023, 11:37 am

Oldbloke wrote:Yes, SK match was best perfomer in my Brno M2

But best to test before buying several bricks. .

Last time I saw SK RM, my LGS was limiting purchase to one brick per day per customer. At least for my smallbore capabilities, it shoots the same as my Eley Match - i.e. it can hold the 10 ring, if you're in the zone. CCI will not do that - you get weird 9s with CCI SV.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 24 Jul 2023, 11:47 am

I have a mate that uses SK match in his Anschutz and Brno mod 2 and I have tried some of his ammo in my Brno but it only shot marginally better than Win Power Points . Not enough difference to warrant a change as at the time I had 2 bricks left of Win PP . My Brno has a different chamber to others I have seen as there is a significant crush going on as I close the bolt . If I extract an unfired round I can see slight rifling marks .
I did buy it secondhand from a work mate but it was in as new condition and he said it was a stock standard factory rifle .
Not complaining as it shoots really great but it seems to have a short match chamber .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by in2anity » 24 Jul 2023, 12:11 pm

JohnV wrote:I have a mate that uses SK match in his Anschutz and Brno mod 2 and I have tried some of his ammo in my Brno but it only shot marginally better than Win Power Points . Not enough difference to warrant a change as at the time I had 2 bricks left of Win PP . My Brno has a different chamber to others I have seen as there is a significant crush going on as I close the bolt . If I extract an unfired round I can see slight rifling marks .
I did buy it secondhand from a work mate but it was in as new condition and he said it was a stock standard factory rifle .
Not complaining as it shoots really great but it seems to have a short match chamber .

"Marginally" is the difference between a possible and a 99, and probably taling home a place. So I know what i go with. Also I don't see the point in taining on sub-par ammo. So much of sling shooting revolves around feeling confident in your ability and gear - shooting poor scores with poor ammo offers no value. Better off doing time on the digital than this
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 24 Jul 2023, 1:32 pm

I am not talking about comp shooting .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Diamond Jim » 25 Jul 2023, 1:26 am

JohnV wrote:I have a mate that uses SK match in his Anschutz and Brno mod 2 and I have tried some of his ammo in my Brno but it only shot marginally better than Win Power Points . Not enough difference to warrant a change as at the time I had 2 bricks left of Win PP . My Brno has a different chamber to others I have seen as there is a significant crush going on as I close the bolt . If I extract an unfired round I can see slight rifling marks .

I guess it comes down to what you are using the rifle for. If it is competition then it makes sense finding the diet it prefers. If it is hunting then target ammunition may not have optimal performance on game. If it is just plinking then you can shoot whatever you like and be as accurate as you can afford to be.

I am mindful that the CZ457 is a fine rifle (I have a CZ452) but probably not in the bench rest class so that fraction of a mm you're chasing might not necessarily be ammunition related. I don't shoot competition so whatever HV bulk pack the LGS has cheapest is what I shoot. The rabbits don't seem to notice the difference.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by allan » 25 Jul 2023, 8:47 am

JohnV wrote: . My Brno has a different chamber to others I have seen as there is a significant crush going on as I close the bolt . If I extract an unfired round I can see slight rifling marks .

I have a Weihrauch (purchased new) which also behaves that way - I'm not complaining either as it's one of the most accurate unmodified factory repeaters I've owned to date.

Diamond Jim wrote:I guess it comes down to what you are using the rifle for. If it is competition then it makes sense finding the diet it prefers. If it is hunting then target ammunition may not have optimal performance on game. If it is just plinking then you can shoot whatever you like and be as accurate as you can afford to be. I am mindful that the CZ457 is a fine rifle (I have a CZ452) but probably not in the bench rest class so that fraction of a mm you're chasing might not necessarily be ammunition related. I don't shoot competition so whatever HV bulk pack the LGS has cheapest is what I shoot. The rabbits don't seem to notice the difference.

This pretty much nailed it! IME, all rim fire ammunition regardless of cost will vary from batch to batch. Finding that lot number that performs well in one particular rifle can be a long and expensive exercise - Usually not worth the trouble as I'm never able to purchase large quantities of a proven lot number anyway.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles