Winchester 21 Sharp cartridge

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Winchester 21 Sharp cartridge

Post by Billo » 16 Aug 2023, 10:03 am

I see Winchester are continuing on with there great tradition of releasing a new do nothing special rimfire cartridge.

Should be a raging sales success too :lol:

21 Sharp
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Winchester 21 Sharp cartridge

Post by JohnV » 16 Aug 2023, 12:34 pm

A bit like reinventing the wheel . It's another corporate attempt to sell a firearm and corner the ammunition market for that gun . A few others have tried it and had mixed results . Remington tried it with their 5mm Rem mag rimfire but it was not a great big hit .
I can't see that Winchester will fare any better .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2023, 1:56 pm

Billo wrote:I see Winchester are continuing on with there great tradition of releasing a new do nothing special rimfire cartridge.

Should be a raging sales success too :lol:

21 Sharp

I think to make that work they'll have to sell the ammo for well under their manufacturing cost. The only real advantage rimfire has is low cost, and only .22LR offers that these days, all the other rimfires are too expensive to be viable for most people. The low pressure they operate at is another advantage in manufacture and design of firearms to use, but in this case those are already designed and built as this would just be a barrel conversion as far as I can see. My guess is that a handful of people will find it exceedingly useful, some will enjoy some novelty out of it, most won't waste their time or money buying into it.

It seems like Winchester gave up making firearms a couple decades ago, I wouldn't even know what models they still offer without having to look it up. More recently their other products have become rubbish to be avoided. I don't know where they went wrong but if they went under I'm not sure most people would even notice.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 17 Aug 2023, 12:18 pm

I have never had any trouble with Winchester primers or ball powders . Winchester ball powders may be not as temp tolerant as ADI but they are very chemically stable and will last in the container for a very long time . Winchester shotgun mono wads are also very good .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigpete » 17 Aug 2023, 5:36 pm

Looked it up.
What a complete waste of time
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2023, 5:43 pm

JohnV wrote:I have never had any trouble with Winchester primers or ball powders . Winchester ball powders may be not as temp tolerant as ADI but they are very chemically stable and will last in the container for a very long time . Winchester shotgun mono wads are also very good .

After the trouble I had getting W748 to burn in the .303 last year I wouldn't recommend it to anybody unless it was the only powder you could find.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 17 Aug 2023, 7:34 pm

That's strange because I have used 748 many years ago in 222 and 760 in 270/303 and not had any ignition problems that I can remember . Maybe the primer was too cool for the powder coatings . I have used one jug of 760 in my 30-06 some years back just to see how it would go with Winchester primers not Federal which may be too weak . It functioned ok and shot about the same as AR2209 .
However I would not load up too much for summer shooting . I did get the feeling that a magnum primer would be better again with ball powders . The powder balls are small and tightly packed so that might inhibit the flame path and the coatings seem more resistant .
Maybe the newer batches of Win 748 are even harder to ignite now . There is quite a few popular ball powders being used .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 17 Aug 2023, 8:15 pm

JohnV wrote:That's strange because I have used 748 many years ago in 222 and 760 in 270/303 and not had any ignition problems that I can remember . Maybe the primer was too cool for the powder coatings . I have used one jug of 760 in my 30-06 some years back just to see how it would go with Winchester primers not Federal which may be too weak . It functioned ok and shot about the same as AR2209 .
However I would not load up too much for summer shooting . I did get the feeling that a magnum primer would be better again with ball powders . The powder balls are small and tightly packed so that might inhibit the flame path and the coatings seem more resistant .
Maybe the newer batches of Win 748 are even harder to ignite now . There is quite a few popular ball powders being used .

Yes, magnum primers and tissue paper filler seemed to fix it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles