Bolt getting hung up!

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Bolt getting hung up!

Post by WesleySnipes » 20 May 2014, 8:38 pm

Hey guys and gals, recently picked up a nice little Anschutz 1450 .22lr. Awesome rifle in top condition, stock in perfect condition, no rust whatsoever and a nice little Weaver x4 on it.

The only problem I have ran into however is that when the trigger mechanism is torqued down properly the bolt will not cycle smoothly and gets hung up when beginning to move the bolt back, and when moving the bolt forwards again it will sort of click into the position at the front most point where there was resistance. Now this goes away completely and becomes an extremely smooth action as soon as I loosen the screw holding the trigger mechanism to the back of the receiver. But when the trigger mechanism is loose there is obviously lots of side to side movement in the trigger and play when operating the safety.

Have visually inspected the receiver and bolt and cleaned them out and all surfaces are smooth. So I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, cannot seem to find much on the net, so any help would be appreciated.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Bolt getting hung up!

Post by Baldrick314 » 20 May 2014, 8:57 pm

Might be a long shot but see if the action screws protrude at the back of the action. The rear screw might be a touch too long and is catching the bolt. Had it happen when I took a rifle out of it's stock a while back and didn't notice a small shim fall out.
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by WesleySnipes » 20 May 2014, 9:06 pm

Baldrick314 wrote:Might be a long shot but see if the action screws protrude at the back of the action. The rear screw might be a touch too long and is catching the bolt. Had it happen when I took a rifle out of it's stock a while back and didn't notice a small shim fall out.

Was just inspecting that, no protrusions! And also looked on the bolt for any gouging or marking that would suggest contact.

What I did notice though is the left action screw is wound in slightly further than the right. Which could imply a shim possibly missing for the left screw?

But if that were the case they are still seated lower than the receiver so it wouldn't make much difference as they aren't catching on the bolt.

Thanks for your help buddy!
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 20 May 2014, 9:10 pm

is the trigger adjustable on the 1450?

one thing that comes to mind is if someones fiddled with the trigger they could have wound on too much seer engagement and it's causing upward pressure on the bolt

just taking a guess so don't take my word for it. hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in soon

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by WesleySnipes » 20 May 2014, 9:24 pm

Chronos wrote:is the trigger adjustable on the 1450?

one thing that comes to mind is if someones fiddled with the trigger they could have wound on too much seer engagement and it's causing upward pressure on the bolt

just taking a guess so don't take my word for it. hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in soon

Chronos

I'm not quite sure as I only received the rifle, I'll have to look it up.

I agree, I undid the screws holding the trigger mechanism on slightly so there was play in it, and worked the bolt, no issues and smooth as silk. Then I inverted the action and the worked the bolt, getting caught up! So I think the problem is exactly what you have suggested, there is too much seer engagement when the mechanism is torqued down, just enough to provide resistance with the bolt at the start of its rearward travel.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by WesleySnipes » 20 May 2014, 9:56 pm

Chronos mate you were exactly right. I slightly adjusted the screw that rests the trigger against the mechanism so it protrudes further, thus slightly lowering the seer. Now cycles really smooth, and feels great.

Thanks guys for all the input, problem solved! Now to go put a couple hundred rounds through it :)
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 20 May 2014, 10:27 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:Chronos mate you were exactly right. I slightly adjusted the screw that rests the trigger against the mechanism so it protrudes further, thus slightly lowering the seer. Now cycles really smooth, and feels great.

Thanks guys for all the input, problem solved! Now to go put a couple hundred rounds through it :)

good news mate!

do a few tests to make sure the trigger is all safe and "that"

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by WesleySnipes » 20 May 2014, 10:44 pm

Chronos wrote:
WesleySnipes wrote:Chronos mate you were exactly right. I slightly adjusted the screw that rests the trigger against the mechanism so it protrudes further, thus slightly lowering the seer. Now cycles really smooth, and feels great.

good news mate!

do a few tests to make sure the trigger is all safe and "that"

Chronos

Thanks mate

Yeah have slammed the bolt down a bit and man handled it and seems to be fine. I wonder why it was adjusted like that in the first place, it's been sitting in a shed for 30 odd years untouched.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 21 May 2014, 6:13 pm

Hey Wes just check the Action bolts as well as Anshultz have a bad habbit of making the front one longer than the back one and this has caused me grief in the past with my Annies!!!! they will both tighten but they tend to lock up the action just like you discribed :?: :!: :?: Sounds as if Chronos has nailed it but it's worth the look M8

Cheers Westy
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Old Fart » 23 May 2014, 8:40 am

WesleySnipes wrote:I wonder why it was adjusted like that in the first place, it's been sitting in a shed for 30 odd years untouched.

Probably someone just gave it a few turns without actually testing. Too many do that...

Good to read you did some testing of slamming the bolt around. You can get those Anschütz reeeal light and I've seen a few blokes have the pin release when closing the bolt. Happened for them for the first time at the range because they didn't check it at home in the shed.

Pays to check these things properly.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 23 May 2014, 8:47 am

OF,

I had the same when adjusting my 1416 for the first time. Got a bit carried away on making it a feather... I did test before taking it to the range though (of course) and found when working the bolt vigorously it would release 1 out of every 15 times or something.

Fraction of a turn tighter and now it's rock solid. Slammed the bolt around 100 times with no drama.

Only as light as two feathers now instead of one ;)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by beerd » 23 May 2014, 8:48 am

Old Fart wrote:Happened for them for the first time at the range because they didn't check it at home in the shed.

Better to happen at the range than swinging it around in the field with your buddies at least.
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 23 May 2014, 9:00 am

beerd wrote:
Old Fart wrote:Happened for them for the first time at the range because they didn't check it at home in the shed.

Better to happen at the range than swinging it around in the field with your buddies at least.

Remind me never to go hunting with you :LOL:

It's a matter of following the 10 Commandments of firearms safety, if you walk around with an empty chamber and don't point your gun at anything or anyone even the dodgiest of triggers won't result in anyone getting hurt. That's not to say you're trigger shouldn't be in serviceable condition of course.

Relying on a heavy trigger to keep your friends safe is stupid (i know that's not what you were suggesting). It's the same with "safety's" they should really be called " trigger deactivating switches " cause a rifle with a chambered round and the safety on is not a safe rifle, it's a loaded rifle.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 23 May 2014, 9:12 am

Lorgar wrote:Only as light as two feathers now instead of one ;)

Pfft, s**t, take it back. :P
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by beerd » 23 May 2014, 9:14 am

I'm with you Chronos.

I'm not slack with my firearms safety, just saying for those blokes best it happened where it did ;)
beerd
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles