Budget rimfire 22 for small game hunting.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Budget rimfire 22 for small game hunting.

Post by Lazarus » 02 Jan 2024, 3:46 pm

A lot of that is exchange, but we've always been punished by geo-pricing.

I bought a computer controlled catadioptric astronomical telescope 12years ago.
The scope and accessories was $4.3K in LA, the same scope on its own, no accessories was $14K in Oz
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2024, 4:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Lazarus wrote:https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/10-budget-priced-22-rifles-under-200/

I can't get over how cheap firearms are in US.

I think you have to add taxes to their prices, but they are still cheap. But they also have to pay for health insurance and such so their wage dollars don't go as far as ours do I think.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jan 2024, 6:00 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
Lazarus wrote:https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/10-budget-priced-22-rifles-under-200/

I can't get over how cheap firearms are in US.

I think you have to add taxes to their prices, but they are still cheap. But they also have to pay for health insurance and such so their wage dollars don't go as far as ours do I think.

Yes, that's true.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 06 Jan 2024, 7:46 am

Shootermick wrote:
Shootermick wrote:Ruger American is a bit dearer, but hard to beat for their price, in my opinion anyway. I’ve got 3, a .22, 22mag and a 243. Biggest downside is the stocks are cheap and flimsy feeling, and I don’t like the skinny forend on them either. But they all shoot well and get the job done.
I’ve actually just purchased an Oryx stock for the 243, see how that goes when it turns up.

Actually, now I’ve got 4….a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56/223 in a Magpul stock has been added to the stable.

Actually, again…I’ve got 5 Ruger’s, I can’t count.
2 22’s, a 22mag, a 243 and a 223.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 06 Jan 2024, 11:55 am

Visitors over New Year brought with them a new Ruger American Rimfire, which came with a package including rail and 3-9x40 scope(cant remember the brand).
.22 WMR, 18" threaded Stainless barrel with Synthetic stock, and rotary 9-shot mag.
Pretty sure they paid around $700 for it from one of the bigger dealers in SE QLD.
We sighted it in one afternoon, and the trigger was too heavy(4.5lbs).
Downloaded the manual, removed the stock as per instructions, and then followed instructions to lighten trigger in stages, until we had it to our satisfaction.
Re-fitted stock and torqued it down, and the difference was amazing.

A nice little rifle.

I had ~200 40gn CCI Maxi-Mag HP rounds that wont feed reliably into my CZ455(the step on the HP projectile usually jams on the breech-face), but they fed smooth as silk through this Ruger- Must be a slightly different feed angle).
By the time we'd worked over the trigger and done a couple of afternoon sessions, James(visitor) was clover-leafing holes at 50m, and around half an inch at 75m, so well good enough for his needs. Not sure he bothered to do any work at 100m to see how it compared.

If I owned it, I might eventually change the trigger, and upgrade the scope, but neither of these were going to stop it nailling the odd rabbit in the mean-time.
I'd question how that stock will last over time(slightly more flimsy than the Tikka synthetic stocks), but replacement stocks arent that hard to source.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by AlHow » 18 Jan 2024, 7:16 pm

I bought a second hand Stirling .22LR for $150. Very accurate rifle.
Attachments
IMG_2890.jpeg
IMG_2890.jpeg (516.58 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
AlHow
Private
Private

-

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Jan 2024, 7:42 pm

AlHow wrote:I bought a second hand Stirling .22LR for $150. Very accurate rifle.

"Very accurate rifle"? $150 bucks? "Second hand"?
ALHow, you're a burglar :cry:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Previous

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles