Budget rimfire 22 for small game hunting.

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Budget rimfire 22 for small game hunting.

Post by Blr243 » 12 Nov 2023, 3:05 pm

Own a 22 mag. Haven’t owned a 22 long rifle for decades. Just did my pta for a 22. It’s bolt action. Looking at the Rossi 8122 standard. It comes with two detatacable mags and weaver bases already fitted. 300 bucks. If u know anything about these or other recommendations fire awsy. I’ll probably ph and put deposit on a rifle within 24 hrs
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Re: Budget rimfire 22 for small game hunting.

Post by GQshayne » 12 Nov 2023, 7:55 pm

How about the Sako??

You used the word "budget", so I figured if you put "big" in front of that then you would be rockin'!!! :mrgreen:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Nov 2023, 8:00 pm

That’s very decent of you mate. Drop a couple of grand in my account and we can consider this purchase a team effort
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 12 Nov 2023, 8:13 pm

Ruger American is a bit dearer, but hard to beat for their price, in my opinion anyway. I’ve got 3, a .22, 22mag and a 243. Biggest downside is the stocks are cheap and flimsy feeling, and I don’t like the skinny forend on them either. But they all shoot well and get the job done.
I’ve actually just purchased an Oryx stock for the 243, see how that goes when it turns up.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Nov 2023, 9:41 pm

Hey Mate,,,, I bought a Ruger American .22lr a few months ago,, and have only just started using it (after a trigger job and one other essential mod)
First time in decades using a 22rf for hunting (alongside the Sako 308) and my biggest issue at the moment is coming to grips with the seemingly lack of power.
It seems puny, but after using the 375 H+H Mag,,, the 308's and 22/250,, it may take a while to get used to again.
I use it with subs to ping pesky things like rabbits, hares, and foxes without scaring off my main objectives,,,, being dogs.

It gets the job done with little fuss and I love the small compact size of it.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Nov 2023, 9:59 pm

Same reason. Summertime on a dam , quiet 22 for a fox or cat . And a bigger rifle handy if boars turn up . All my life I thought that animals drink at dusk , feed all night , and then come back for a drink at dawn and then sleep . A few yrs back when I started hunting with thermal I realised that pigs cats and foxes are coming and going to drink at all times of night esp In summer . So I just getting prepped to tackle the little ones quietly
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 13 Nov 2023, 5:57 am

Die Judicii wrote:Hey Mate,,,, I bought a Ruger American .22lr a few months ago,, and have only just started using it (after a trigger job and one other essential mod)
First time in decades using a 22rf for hunting (alongside the Sako 308) and my biggest issue at the moment is coming to grips with the seemingly lack of power.
It seems puny, but after using the 375 H+H Mag,,, the 308's and 22/250,, it may take a while to get used to again.
I use it with subs to ping pesky things like rabbits, hares, and foxes without scaring off my main objectives,,,, being dogs.

It gets the job done with little fuss and I love the small compact size of it.

Mine are all compact models too, even the 243 has just an 18” barrel.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 13 Nov 2023, 6:44 pm

The ruger was on my mind too but I figured it won’t be used a great deal so I could not justify the extra bucks . And while we are on the subject of small game , regarding piglets that come in for a drink by themselves , I tend to leave them alone. Is there anyone else that does this. ? I should probably look after Australia and shoot them but I just don’t like shooting baby anything
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Nov 2023, 6:46 pm

I must confess the tiny ones are amazing in a camp oven with roast onions carrots and potatoes
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 13 Nov 2023, 7:28 pm

I don't bother with little ones either, if it is my decision.

Given your intended purpose, how about a Savage Mod 24 or a new 42? Gives you two options then. I have looked at one for the same situation.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Larry » 14 Nov 2023, 6:33 am

I dont know much about the Rossi but as far as budget rifles go the Savage A22 is also in that 300-5 range and for that money is a good rifle. I can say that from owning one. The mags are really its only downfall being hard to load.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Blr243 » 14 Nov 2023, 3:12 pm

Bought the rossi online last night. Just gotta wait for the pta
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Numleg » 17 Nov 2023, 8:02 am

Another vote for the Ruger American, far more accurate than the price tag would suggest and very reliable.
Numleg
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Gun-nut » 20 Nov 2023, 12:37 pm

I'd also vote for the ruger. Had mine for countless years now and hasn't skipped a beat. Easily the best .22 for the money there is. Accurate and rugged for dragging through the bush. I have the full 22" barrel however, but the extra velocity helps when I take the .22lr to 100+ meters.
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Nov 2023, 2:44 pm

Gun-nut wrote:I'd also vote for the ruger. Had mine for countless years now and hasn't skipped a beat. Easily the best .22 for the money there is. Accurate and rugged for dragging through the bush. I have the full 22" barrel however, but the extra velocity helps when I take the .22lr to 100+ meters.

I'm also a Ruger fan, they're good value (especially the Standard and Compact models which come with sights) but they're not the cheapest rifles - I think they're around $800 now. When somebody wants a cheap shooter I suggest the Norinco JW15, but Norinco no longer seems to be available new. Otherwise look for an older rifle, a repeater from the 1950's or so. My BSA Sportsman 5 is a shooter and they're still cheap. The Remington 500-series are good, and early Lithgow's. The only drawback is most of these older rifles have no provision for scopes.

Have you actually chronographed yours? Your best bet with .22LR is to use whichever ammo is the most accurate to allow you to drop the bullet right into the brain rather than relying on velocity.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Nov 2023, 3:11 pm

I had a very accurate norrinco jw donkeys yrs ago. When they were timber stocks I think they were copies of Brno from memory
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Nov 2023, 4:17 pm

Blr243 wrote:I had a very accurate norrinco jw donkeys yrs ago. When they were timber stocks I think they were copies of Brno from memory

Yep, copies of the CZ452 action.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Nov 2023, 9:41 am

I loaned it to my father But he sold it to someone without telling me. When I asked him about it he said he couldn’t remember…… hence my purchase now
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Nov 2023, 2:20 pm

Have you considered used?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Nov 2023, 3:15 pm

Good idea ob. I tend not to buy second hand because I don’t know what’s been thru the barrrl but that matters less on a 22 long rifle. I have actually paid in full for the Rossi Just waiting for the pta. And I’m lazy about working at the moment too so I have plenty of time to drive up to cleavers and grab the rifle
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Nov 2023, 7:07 pm

What is the rossi?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 21 Nov 2023, 8:18 pm

It’s a bolt action. Mod 8122 Pink lady. I would not normally buy a pink rifle but it’s cheap new comes with 2 / ten shot mags and pre fitted weaver bases. I prefer that over Dodgy dovetail s
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Humperdinkel » 28 Nov 2023, 5:29 pm

Just bought a Winchester Xpert from Cleavers in Brisbane. $499 (on special) is a top price for a quality bit of kit
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage A22R Pro Varmint - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Howa 1500 VT Fluted - .308
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by darklazor » 28 Dec 2023, 10:00 pm

I have had no experience with Rossi, but I heard nothing good about their rimfires.
Ruger American rimfire would be my pick, I would go second-hand and try and save a little more for a more premium rifle like a Tikka or a Lithgow some good deals can be found on SSAA gun sales or oz gun sales. Best of luck with your Rossi mate hope all goes well.
darklazor
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Humperdinkel » 31 Dec 2023, 8:44 pm

Recently bought a Winchester Xpert, bloody cracking little rifle & currently on sale at Cleavers (if you live in Brissy).... And the Browning T-bolt pic rail is a perfect fit, Saves waiting for the Winchester branded one to arrive.
Winchester Xpert - .22
Savage A22R Pro Varmint - .22
Savage 340 - .222
Howa 1500 VT Fluted - .308
Humperdinkel
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 31 Dec 2023, 9:06 pm

Shootermick wrote:Ruger American is a bit dearer, but hard to beat for their price, in my opinion anyway. I’ve got 3, a .22, 22mag and a 243. Biggest downside is the stocks are cheap and flimsy feeling, and I don’t like the skinny forend on them either. But they all shoot well and get the job done.
I’ve actually just purchased an Oryx stock for the 243, see how that goes when it turns up.

Actually, now I’ve got 4….a Ruger American Ranch in 5.56/223 in a Magpul stock has been added to the stable.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 02 Jan 2024, 10:40 am

I just picked up a budget 22lr before Xmas, an early 80's Ruger 77/22. Paid $600 with rings and it shoots like stink with RWS & ELEY Subs.

Probably shoulda had one in the safe years ago. 10 shot rotary mag and a crisp 1lb trigger just icing on the cake. :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 02 Jan 2024, 11:09 am

Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 02 Jan 2024, 11:15 am

After reading the article I posted above, and knowing from experience hiw good their centrefires are:

https://theoutpostarms.com.au/howa-m110 ... ire-rifle/
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jan 2024, 3:30 pm

Lazarus wrote:https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/10-budget-priced-22-rifles-under-200/

I can't get over how cheap firearms are in US.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles