Shortening Henry stock

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Shortening Henry stock

Post by theobromine » 19 Jan 2024, 5:04 pm

I have a Henry lever-action .22 with a walnut stock. The length of pull is around 14 inches. As i'm a shorter guy, the rifle doesn't quite sit that comfortably in my shoulder. I was wanting some thoughts as to how I can modify the rifle to better fit me. Is it feasible to cut the stock down by an inch or so? The plastic butt-plate might not fit if the stock was cut down, as the cross section will be different.

I've contacted Henry USA but they don't ship stocks to Australian customers - only through a distributer (who hasn't responded to me in ages).

Any suggestions on how to approach this?
theobromine
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Shortening Henry stock

Post by No1Mk3 » 19 Jan 2024, 5:10 pm

Shorten the stock and file the butt plate to fit or have another one fitted. Be aware it may impact the re-sale value,
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Shortening Henry stock

Post by bladeracer » 19 Jan 2024, 5:52 pm

theobromine wrote:I have a Henry lever-action .22 with a walnut stock. The length of pull is around 14 inches. As i'm a shorter guy, the rifle doesn't quite sit that comfortably in my shoulder. I was wanting some thoughts as to how I can modify the rifle to better fit me. Is it feasible to cut the stock down by an inch or so? The plastic butt-plate might not fit if the stock was cut down, as the cross section will be different.

I've contacted Henry USA but they don't ship stocks to Australian customers - only through a distributer (who hasn't responded to me in ages).

Any suggestions on how to approach this?

Yes, it can be done, but will require some reshaping and refinishing if you want to keep the OEM butt plate. Or you can make a new butt plate to fit the butt of the stock. You can also buy aftermarket butt pads that are over-size to be shaped down to fit.

See if you can buy the butt stock from the Youth model, or perhaps find a tall bloke that owns the Youth model and would prefer the longer one. I'm in the same boat, I'd prefer the shorter one myself.

Or sell yours and buy the youth model.

Boyds also do an aftermarket stock that you might be able to order. https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/content/resource-center/gunstocks/henry-h001-22lr-straight-grip-stk-9ac771516zz
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles