Just got a .17HMR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Just got a .17HMR

Post by Pighunter » 20 Feb 2024, 2:04 pm

So I did my usual tactic, walked into a gunstore to buy ammo, came out with a receipt for a new rifle.
Bought a Ruger American .17HMR. Now I have no idea why I need a .17HMR afterall my name is Pighunter not Rabbithunter. So what use cases are there for the .17HMR?
Rabbits, Birds, Foxes? Anything else. I've got no idea why I bought it but here we are.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: Just got a .17HMR

Post by deye243 » 20 Feb 2024, 3:14 pm

I know quite a few that hunt pigs on a regular basis up north with a 17hmr but they only use the game point 20g load as they have very little to no expansion out to around 70y just bang them in the head
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Pighunter » 20 Feb 2024, 6:26 pm

deye243 wrote:I know quite a few that hunt pigs on a regular basis up north with a 17hmr but they only use the game point 20g load as they have very little to no expansion out to around 70y just bang them in the head

I've got a 44 mag, 12g, .223 and a 30-30 for pigs. This is more for smaller pest animals I'd say like Foxes and feral cats, I was hoping it would be good for the wild dogs too but there is conflicting info on the internet about what's its capable of. Mostly because my .223 sounds like a naval battleships main cannons because of its short barrel I hoped the .17hmr would be a closer somewhat quieter alternative.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by deye243 » 20 Feb 2024, 7:54 pm

Yes it Is a very pleasant round to shoot
Last edited by deye243 on 22 Feb 2024, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 22 Feb 2024, 12:08 pm

Pighunter wrote:Anything else. I've got no idea why I bought it but here we are.

Dunno if you're into target shooting - but it's certainly a better 100m grouper than ye olde 22lr, under bad wind. And cheaper to run than 223 factory. So there's that. I've been toying with cheating our novel rimfire matches, by running one. The rules don't actually dictate "must be 22lr" 8-)
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 24 Feb 2024, 10:41 am

I have the same rifle. It’s a great bunny gun. I have, however, shot a fox with mine and it dropped like a stone. You would want to head shoot a fox though. As someone else has said, the 20 gn hollow point is what you would want to use if you are regularly shooting things bigger than a rabbit. The .17 hmr is noticeably affected by strong winds in my experience. But that’s hardly surprising given its light weight and bc
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Pighunter » 27 Feb 2024, 10:13 am

Bruiser64 wrote:I have the same rifle. It’s a great bunny gun. I have, however, shot a fox with mine and it dropped like a stone. You would want to head shoot a fox though. As someone else has said, the 20 gn hollow point is what you would want to use if you are regularly shooting things bigger than a rabbit. The .17 hmr is noticeably affected by strong winds in my experience. But that’s hardly surprising given its light weight and bc

Yeah I think I'll only ever run the 20gn Hollows. Like most of my rifles it'll probably sit in the safe waiting for the day I go out hunting a pest specifically that it might be required for. As of right now pigs are mostly all I hunt and the .44 gets a work out.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by deye243 » 27 Feb 2024, 12:54 pm

Pighunter wrote:
Bruiser64 wrote:I have the same rifle. It’s a great bunny gun. I have, however, shot a fox with mine and it dropped like a stone. You would want to head shoot a fox though. As someone else has said, the 20 gn hollow point is what you would want to use if you are regularly shooting things bigger than a rabbit. The .17 hmr is noticeably affected by strong winds in my experience. But that’s hardly surprising given its light weight and bc

Yeah I think I'll only ever run the 20gn Hollows. Like most of my rifles it'll probably sit in the safe waiting for the day I go out hunting a pest specifically that it might be required for. As of right now pigs are mostly all I hunt and the .44 gets a work out.

Just remember the game point are very hard and like a fmj the pics are from jug testing I did at 100 yards .
17g vmax
Screenshot_20240227_135123_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240227_135123_Gallery.jpg (527.34 KiB) Viewed 825 times

And game point
Screenshot_20240227_135126_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240227_135126_Gallery.jpg (334.41 KiB) Viewed 825 times
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 Feb 2024, 2:33 pm

I've got photos somewhere of a game point I pulled out of a rabbit showing perfect mushrooming, nothing at all like deye243 is showing. I rate them very highly for use on animals up to fox size.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 27 Feb 2024, 4:25 pm

bigpete wrote:I've got photos somewhere of a game point I pulled out of a rabbit showing perfect mushrooming, nothing at all like deye243 is showing. I rate them very highly for use on animals up to fox size.

I have never been able to recover a bullet from a rabbit hit with a 17hmr .
I have always found it intriguing how many people experience different things with the same equipment.
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 27 Feb 2024, 4:26 pm

Just to add that test was around 2013 so they may have improved the jacket
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 27 Feb 2024, 5:39 pm

deye243 wrote:
bigpete wrote:I've got photos somewhere of a game point I pulled out of a rabbit showing perfect mushrooming, nothing at all like deye243 is showing. I rate them very highly for use on animals up to fox size.

I have always found it intriguing how many people experience different things with the same equipment.

Went in the head front on and lodged in the hip. Couldn't see which way it was laying. Absolutely perfect mushroom with zero fragmentation. Tbh I think the 17gn ones kill a bit better due to fragmentation but they don't shoot as well in my rifle.
At one point I was shooting rabbits for sale as whole food for pedigree dog owners at $10 a head unskun and ungutted,so it was well worth it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 27 Feb 2024, 6:28 pm

That’s good money for fun sport , no dirty work involved
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 27 Feb 2024, 8:08 pm

bigpete wrote:
deye243 wrote:

Went in the head front on and lodged in the hip. Couldn't see which way it was laying. Absolutely perfect mushroom with zero fragmentation. Tbh I think the 17gn ones kill a bit better due to fragmentation but they don't shoot as well in my rifle.
At one point I was shooting rabbits for sale as whole food for pedigree dog owners at $10 a head unskun and ungutted,so it was well worth it

Yeah that's the way to do it I had a similar gig 20 odd years ago
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 27 Feb 2024, 9:49 pm

Great little round the 17hmr i have shot many animals with astounding results out to around 150m for me not the round for body shots obviously. Devastating results when placed in the brain box a17 is my prefered ammo in my marlin 917v.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 28 Feb 2024, 11:59 pm

I had a bit of buyers regret but reading the comments here it seems like it'll be a fun gun to have. I have a .22WMR in my safe already. I should probably buy a simple .22LR one day lol.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Feb 2024, 8:14 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If I were you M8,,, I'd be marching quick smart back into that gun shop and be asking "Which one of you smart ass salesmen is the hypnotist ?"
A .17 hmr regardless of how you came to purchase it is/can be an awsome little beastie.
At the height of the last drought I used one regularly on the roos/wallabies that were so starved for food and having the last remnants of life sucked out of them by marble sized ticks to the point that they fell over if they tried to hop away.
Brain shots with the .17hmr ceased their agony intantaneously.
I have since procured a .17 WSM which is just like the hmr, but on steroids.

But all said and done I'd be thinking long and hard about how you were talked into buying the .17 hmr,,,,,,,,,,, at least look into maybe 30 cal or above.
I specialize in hunting dogs and until recently the 22/250 and .223 was my go to caliber,,,,,,,,,, but after having one particular dog taking four ballistic tipped 22/250's in the boiler room before falling over,, I now only use .308 HP's

The average dogs are getting bigger and tougher to knock down.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Pighunter » 01 Mar 2024, 1:34 pm

Die Judicii wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:
If I were you M8,,, I'd be marching quick smart back into that gun shop and be asking "Which one of you smart ass salesmen is the hypnotist ?"
A .17 hmr regardless of how you came to purchase it is/can be an awsome little beastie.
At the height of the last drought I used one regularly on the roos/wallabies that were so starved for food and having the last remnants of life sucked out of them by marble sized ticks to the point that they fell over if they tried to hop away.
Brain shots with the .17hmr ceased their agony intantaneously.
I have since procured a .17 WSM which is just like the hmr, but on steroids.

But all said and done I'd be thinking long and hard about how you were talked into buying the .17 hmr,,,,,,,,,,, at least look into maybe 30 cal or above.
I specialize in hunting dogs and until recently the 22/250 and .223 was my go to caliber,,,,,,,,,, but after having one particular dog taking four ballistic tipped 22/250's in the boiler room before falling over,, I now only use .308 HP's

The average dogs are getting bigger and tougher to knock down.

Well I do have, a .223, 30-30, 44 mag, 12g, and a few other larger calibers than it for the dogs. I think the issue is like you said those hypnotists.
Pighunter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles