22lr hunting ammo

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

22lr hunting ammo

Post by 5-0 » 09 Mar 2024, 5:17 pm

What are people's favourite hunting ammo disregarding what suits your personal rifle the most, I guess I am asking all things considered and disregarding the actual rifle, what do people find best.

My vote would be CCI Velocitor HP 22 LR 40 Grain
5-0
Recruit
Recruit

-

Re: 22lr hunting ammo

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2024, 5:39 pm

5-0 wrote:What are people's favourite hunting ammo disregarding what suits your personal rifle the most, I guess I am asking all things considered and disregarding the actual rifle, what do people find best.

My vote would be CCI Velocitor HP 22 LR 40 Grain

I use CCI Standard Velocity for rabbits and foxes, and the occasional bird.
Why would you disregard the ammo that your rifle prefers best?
I don't believe you can disregard the rifle. Yellow Jackets kill very nicely but if they're not accurate in your rifle then they're no good for hunting, for you. Accuracy is what gives you clean kills, not bullet design.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 09 Mar 2024, 7:18 pm

I've got a whole bunch of eley target left over from competition. After 10,000 rounds at the range I can say, until you start shooting sporting ammo at the range and see how badly it groups with unexplained flyers you will be kicking yourself how you missed.. The accuracy at 50m wasn't good enough to consistently hit a rabbit in the head. If you are shooting for meat and have a reasonable rifle and scope then target ammo is the go.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by 5-0 » 09 Mar 2024, 8:30 pm

I recommended setting aside the rifle as it introduces a variable into the equation. What shoots accurately in one rifle may not perform as well in another. This is a factor that requires testing with your specific rifle. My main interest lies in hearing what people generally find effective for hunting, as this can serve as a foundation for testing and utilizing other types of ammunition.
5-0
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by No1_49er » 09 Mar 2024, 8:56 pm

5-0 wrote: My main interest lies in hearing what people generally find effective for hunting, as this can serve as a foundation for testing and utilizing other types of ammunition.

I don't think you are going to get the answer that you are looking for.
How many times does it have to be said that ammunition and 22LR 'arms are never remotely and consistently good bed-fellows. As said above, all ammo' needs to be tested in your rifle. It simply does not matter what performs well in my, or anybody elses, rifle.
Go and visit your local ammo suppliers and buy several packets of every type of ammo that they have in stock with the caveat that if, after you've done your testing, you'll be able to return and buy at least a case of the same batch of that which performed to your expectations. You sure are going to find some that shoots like a shotgun - maybe even the more expensive variety, and other cheap s**t that is a tack driver.
I have two 22 competition rifles that only perform well with their own selected case of ammo and both of them perform disastrously if fed the other type.
I could say that CCI Std velocity is the "go to", but that's not really helping you. You have to test everything that you can get in your rifle.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 09 Mar 2024, 9:07 pm

That said, any target ammo is better in accuracy.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2024, 9:46 pm

5-0 wrote:I recommended setting aside the rifle as it introduces a variable into the equation. What shoots accurately in one rifle may not perform as well in another. This is a factor that requires testing with your specific rifle. My main interest lies in hearing what people generally find effective for hunting, as this can serve as a foundation for testing and utilizing other types of ammunition.

Simple, test everything you can get hold of, use whichever turns out to be most accurate. Rely on shot placement rather than relying on the bullet to work some sort of magic when it hits the target.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Mar 2024, 10:15 pm

No1_49er wrote:I could say that CCI Std velocity is the "go to", but that's not really helping you.

I would suggest the same thing, CCI SV shoots extremely well for me, but I know people that don't like it. Other good choices would be some of the ELEY's - except their Standard which is too unreliable for me to use on live targets (after burning through more than two cases of it). Lots of people swear by SK Rifle Match but it doesn't perform well for me. And Federal's F510 shoots very well for me for a high-velocity round, but hasn't been available for at least a couple of years, and it's very, very cheap.

I also found that ammo testing in a new rifle can be a wasted effort as my rifles didn't really "settle in" until I had 1000rds down the tubes. So get some bulk cheap stuff that shoots well enough that you can enjoy lots of plinking while you stockpile a variety of ammunitions for testing. You'll become more familiar with the rifle during this period as well which will all help when you start testing ammo.

When I was a kid my choices of ammo were very limited, to what was available in my local area at the time, and what I could afford to spend on it. I did manage to get the Hyper Velocity ammos of the day, the Stinger, Yellow Jacket, Xpeditor, Laser and another that isn't springing to mind just now (was the Viper around in the eighties?). I expected great things from them but was disappointed with their accuracy. The Yellow Jackets weren't bad for me but were too expensive to use regularly. My main ammo was the Aussie Ammo made by Winchester, a simple semi-hollow-point 40gn bullet, no idea what their velocity was. It was cheap, my local Elders kept heaps on the shelf, and it shot sufficiently well to head-shoot rabbits and foxes, so it ticked all the boxes for me. I never felt any need for anything more than a simple round-nose bullet to the brain. My father-in-Law took rabbits for the pot here for decades with Winchester T22 target ammo.
Last edited by bladeracer on 15 Mar 2024, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 10 Mar 2024, 5:37 am

Same for me; Of the 4 .22LR firearms I have here, they all have different ammo preferences, so the firearm itself has to be a factor in the evaluation.

I am amazed at how well the CCI Velocitor ammo shoots through my 10/22.
I've repeatedly nailed rabbits at distances that I hadnt thought possible in a .22LR reliably; let alone a semi-auto.

Also, the CCI Mini-Mag's (38gn HP) is another round that performs well in the 10/22.
When I was a kid, we we almost exclusively using Winchester 'Rabbit Ammo', which was quite steamy, but worked well in everything.

I've not fired enough target ammo to be able to appreciate its' more consistent accuracy.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 10 Mar 2024, 7:55 am

I have found I you must use a hunting round then eley subsonic is a very accurate.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 10 Mar 2024, 9:17 am

My .22 is mainly used for rabbits at ranges from 25 to 50 metres, sometimes a little further.
90% of my .22 hunting has been done with Winchester power points, lately I've been using Winchester subsonic.
To be honest other than the 10 clicks elevation change required on my scope, they both shoot and perform well with the power points causing slightly more damage.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mattraff » 11 Mar 2024, 12:04 am

For me it is always subsonic ammo in all my 22lr rifles. I have found Eley to be extremely consistent in all of my 22's. I don't use high velocity as I see no benefit for me.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by safeshot » 11 Mar 2024, 10:39 pm

For me it was RWS HVHP. But it seems to have dried up as so many things have. (Brno2) :thumbsup:
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bello » 14 Mar 2024, 9:33 am

Hi mate

I have to agree with the above posts.
Find what shoots best in your particular rile and use that.
I have more 22LR rifles than a man could use, and I find that the target ammo is usually more consistently accurate.

But to answer your question: I have used the Winchester 40gr Power Point ammo for hunting, with great success on rabbits and foxes within reasonable distances, even got a pig once. :D

I don't do much 22 LR hunting these days. Don't see too many rabbits about where I hunt.
I hope I have helped. :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 14 Mar 2024, 1:09 pm

CCI Segmented Hollow point subsonics.
Barely make a pop, but the Rabbits go down
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by straightshooter » 15 Mar 2024, 7:17 am

Long time ago I settled on T22. Worked really well with a true 50 meter zero for head and upper body shots with the benefit of low noise.
So I bought a case.
Alas about 15 years ago Land Care demanded ripping up warrens and with the help of Myxo and Calici we haven't seen a rabbit since.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 15 Mar 2024, 1:19 pm

straightshooter wrote:Long time ago I settled on T22. Worked really well with a true 50 meter zero for head and upper body shots with the benefit of low noise.
So I bought a case.
Alas about 15 years ago Land Care demanded ripping up warrens and with the help of Myxo and Calici we haven't seen a rabbit since.

Same here I even sold my much loved la101 17hmr and 5000 rounds as I haven't shot a rabbit for about 3 years :thumbsdown: :(
I have even been contemplating selling my cz 457 and 2 cases of tac22 ammo as it just sits gathering dust .
Funny thing is there are about 50 rabbits running around town every night just not on the farms I shoot on
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Larry » 15 Mar 2024, 5:08 pm

Well back on topic 40 years ago I used to use and like Winchester Power Points I then switched from the hollow points to solids and they both worked a treat. These days I would choose to use SK rifle match I know exactly where the shot will go so the projectile construction is not important its 40grns going at 1000fps right to the kill spot and as they say Game Over.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Biglyndo » 09 Apr 2024, 8:59 am

Great question. Hollow point subsonics. Usually quite accurate in most .22's. Quiet doesn't spook the game. Kills rabbits well with with chest shots up to 50m. On foxes "high velocity" HP's (not hyper velocity). If hyper velocity shoots well you're lucky & would certainly extend the versatility. Of note is that longer barrels in a .22 are noticeably quieter.
Biglyndo
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles