Ruger charger 10/22 printed

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Ruger charger 10/22 printed

Post by MeccaOz » 11 Jul 2014, 4:32 am

Just a general info peice on whats happening in the "printable" Firearms world.

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/3d-printed-semi-auto-ruger-charger-1022-receiver-produced/
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Re: Ruger charger 10/22 printed

Post by Westy » 11 Jul 2014, 7:19 am

MeccaOz wrote:Just a general info peice on whats happening in the "printable" Firearms world.

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/3d-printed-semi-auto-ruger-charger-1022-receiver-produced/

After reading this link the only burning question I have is to ask is

"WHY???

Plastic guns would be good for only one thing and I'm pretty sure it's not a good thing :?: :!: :?:

Just saying, MeccaOz
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 11 Jul 2014, 7:25 am

Westy wrote:After reading this link the only burning question I have is to ask is

"WHY???

Plastic guns would be good for only one thing and I'm pretty sure it's not a good thing :?: :!: :?:

Laffin yeah and your probably right on that, but apparently with a new type of barrel thats made of plastic, they are getting 500 rounds out of the barrel (AR .223) before it s**ts the tin, so I assume with a .22 you would get a viable long term rifle.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Kaine » 21 Jul 2014, 6:25 am

I am rather fascinated at how this will progress, purely because 3D printers are only going to get better with better materials used in the 'printing' process.
We might see fully viable and functional firearm capability in the next 15 or 20 years. It will be a rather interesting time (as a LAFO) in this country when that level is reached, and what impact that will have on firearms regulation.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 21 Jul 2014, 6:53 am

Kaine wrote:I am rather fascinated at how this will progress, purely because 3D printers are only going to get better with better materials used in the 'printing' process.
We might see fully viable and functional firearm capability in the next 15 or 20 years. It will be a rather interesting time (as a LAFO) in this country when that level is reached, and what impact that will have on firearms regulation.

Well apparently they are building houses with them now, along with using metal materials mate. So I think the tech is here, just hasnt been downsized to the smaller stuff yet.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Kaine » 23 Jul 2014, 5:42 am

MeccaOz wrote:
Kaine wrote:I am rather fascinated at how this will progress, purely because 3D printers are only going to get better with better materials used in the 'printing' process.

Well apparently they are building houses with them now, along with using metal materials mate. So I think the tech is here, just hasnt been downsized to the smaller stuff yet.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digi ... zr4mm.html

Houses out of cement and industrial waste. I am aware that there are extremely expensive 3d metal printers, but from what I was told that was a rather low quality type metal, like die cast cars sort of style. Definitely not firearm grade. But it is all about steps, I am thinking it won't be long before they are printing in carbon fibre, now that has some possibilities depending on weave.
Si vis pacem fac bellum
Kaine
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by jordy » 23 Jul 2014, 10:02 pm

Kaine wrote:I am aware that there are extremely expensive 3d metal printers, but from what I was told that was a rather low quality type metal, like die cast cars sort of style. Definitely not firearm grade.

Very interesting for the future though!
jordy
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Arth » 23 Jul 2014, 10:07 pm

Kaine wrote:I am aware that there are extremely expensive 3d metal printers, but from what I was told that was a rather low quality type metal, like die cast cars sort of style. Definitely not firearm grade.

There's a mob called Solid Concept that have printed a metal 1911. Handles 20,000 PSI I think it was so not rifle pressures yet, but a working pistol in every way.

Printed on a state of the art, exclusive $500,000 printer of course and not by some kid in his garage so still no reason for all the fuss.

The technology is really getting good :)
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Swarm » 24 Jul 2014, 3:38 pm

As soon as they have a plastic strong and durable enough for a stock to last you a life time that'll do me.

I reckon we'll end up with some very cool custom stocks when people can do this themselves and not have to pay $1,500 for a pro one.
Sako 75 Hunter IV 6.5x55 SE with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm
CZ 455 .22LR with Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm CDS
Winchester 88 .284 Winchester
Swarm
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by keen » 26 Jul 2014, 12:30 pm

Arth wrote:There's a mob called Solid Concept that have printed a metal 1911. Handles 20,000 PSI I think it was so not rifle pressures yet, but a working pistol in every way.

Video and stuff on it here :)

Entirely 3D-Printed Metal Gun
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 27 Jul 2014, 9:45 am

thanks for that, its getting very star treky when you think what they will be able to do in ten or so years. :shock:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by prodel » 28 Jul 2014, 11:52 am

It's pretty Star Trek now with some of the medical stuff they're doing already.

Apparently they can print liver tissue for transplants and I think veins and a bunch of stuff like that.

Crazy...
prodel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by eeckle » 28 Jul 2014, 11:54 am

tom604 wrote:thanks for that, its getting very star treky when you think what they will be able to do in ten or so years. :shock:

Gunna be great once they're more publicly available too and not so limited due to cost and everything else.

It'll happen I'm sure, just like home printers used to be a rare thing they're now cheap as chips.

Once there is some open-source community type stuff with them with everyone contributing they'll be all sorts of cool gadgets being printed 8-)
eeckle
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by chookah » 29 Jul 2014, 10:46 am

God I hope they do plastics in more than that green :lol:
Remington 700 Sendero SF II
7mm Remington Magnum

Tikka T3 Lite
.223 Remington
chookah