Sound difference --> .22 air rifle vs .22LR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: Sound difference --> .22 air rifle vs .22LR

Post by nuthead » 03 Aug 2014, 3:00 am

It sounded all the same to me compared to a 16" barreled suppressed rifle with CCI subs iirc - i have no doubt whatsoever that the 29" barreled CZ Lux would be as quiet as a rifle with the best commercially available suppressor.
nuthead
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by agentzero » 04 Aug 2014, 3:05 pm

Cool.

Having a suppressor is just a pipe dream for me but it's interesting all the same :lol:
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by petemacsydney » 28 Aug 2014, 9:06 pm

finally got round to testing some .22LR sub sonic tonight
i tried RWS subsonic, SK subsonic 325m/s and sk ultra subsonic @ 260m/s
the sk ultra subs had so much drop off they looked like the arch of a good ol WW2 bomb drop! completely useless under 15m i reckon, but good for a laugh.
both the rws and sk subs performed reasonably well with slightly over MOA @ 25m.(on a good day i get half moa with SK Plus Standard Velocity wit my CZ @ 25m and 50m)
i was however very surprised that, at the bolt, the noise difference was not that much - at least not to my ears.
i fired a few rounds off of each and then some SK Plus standard velocity as well as some standard CCI's and there wasn't that much difference.
I am presuming though that the extent of the noise down range or around me would be a more marked difference?
After mashing through a bunch more subs, one dude did comment on how quiet it was, so maybe its just because i got my head stuck right near the bolt that i cant tell the difference!! (ps, i had no ear protection on)
Anyway, i'll probably stick with the SK subs (325m/s) for the quiet time bunnies and SK Standard Plus if noise is not an issue.
cheers
p
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Chickenhawk » 29 Aug 2014, 10:09 pm

kritch wrote:Daaaamn that's a lot of rabbits!

I was gunna say the same thing.

What's the address where this photo was taken? :lol:
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by nuthead » 30 Aug 2014, 2:01 am

petemacsydney wrote:finally got round to testing some .22LR sub sonic tonight
i tried RWS subsonic, SK subsonic 325m/s and sk ultra subsonic @ 260m/s
the sk ultra subs had so much drop off they looked like the arch of a good ol WW2 bomb drop! completely useless under 15m i reckon, but good for a laugh.
both the rws and sk subs performed reasonably well with slightly over MOA @ 25m.(on a good day i get half moa with SK Plus Standard Velocity wit my CZ @ 25m and 50m)
i was however very surprised that, at the bolt, the noise difference was not that much - at least not to my ears.
i fired a few rounds off of each and then some SK Plus standard velocity as well as some standard CCI's and there wasn't that much difference.
I am presuming though that the extent of the noise down range or around me would be a more marked difference?
After mashing through a bunch more subs, one dude did comment on how quiet it was, so maybe its just because i got my head stuck right near the bolt that i cant tell the difference!! (ps, i had no ear protection on)
Anyway, i'll probably stick with the SK subs (325m/s) for the quiet time bunnies and SK Standard Plus if noise is not an issue.
cheers
p

standard velocity ammo is usually subsonic as well... so there wouldnt be much if any difference

HV's are significantly louder because of the sonic crack
nuthead
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 30 Aug 2014, 10:51 am

Chickenhawk wrote:
kritch wrote:Daaaamn that's a lot of rabbits!

I was gunna say the same thing.

What's the address where this photo was taken? :lol:

the address is.... google

not a photo from any property i know.. ;-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles