First .22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

First .22

Post by HallyD79 » 22 Aug 2014, 10:42 pm

Hey all,

looking at getting a cheap .22 for plinking or small pests.

been looking around and reading a few reviews...thinking either a Marlin or Savage?

what do you guys think/recommend?

Hally
HallyD79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: First .22

Post by MeccaOz » 23 Aug 2014, 12:22 am

Im a Marlin guy from way back, I havent had a shot outta the savages but everyone seems to think they are great. But the Marlin isnt a real slouch either mate. Which every way you go, you will have fun I'm sure.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Fozzy » 23 Aug 2014, 1:53 am

Ive got a little cheapy marlin.. Shoots as good as me.. :)
Fozzy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by yoshie » 23 Aug 2014, 7:04 am

Those Marlins also come lo a tube mag model too,
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by fenderstrat » 24 Aug 2014, 10:22 am

I just got a Savage MkII G (the most basic model) and it shoots great, even with just iron sights. really good gun.
fenderstrat
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Clarky75 » 24 Aug 2014, 2:00 pm

Hi Hally,

I brought my first 22 just recently I went with the Marlin XT 22 perfect for plinking at the range or for small vermin it's a great priced gun, very accurate too. I am very happy with mine. Hard to beat for the price go that or a savage have a look at both see what feels better to you. Can't go wrong with either.
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm

I like the Daughters Savage Mk2 - great little rifle and is very very accurate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AussieTimmeh » 24 Aug 2014, 5:03 pm

I own a Savage Mk II and I don't know if it's me, the rifle, the scope, the ammo, or my expectations, but I am not thrilled with its accuracy. I can shoot groups fine with my .308 but with the .22 it's difficult to get a constant enough group to even use it for training. Some ammo is better than others but I am at the stage of considering asking a pro or someone experienced with .22s to shoot it and tell me if there is actually something wrong with the rifle.

The actual build quality and ease of use of the rifle is fantastic but yeah.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Aug 2014, 6:08 pm

AussieTimmeh wrote:I own a Savage Mk II and I don't know if it's me, the rifle, the scope, the ammo, or my expectations, but I am not thrilled with its accuracy. I can shoot groups fine with my .308 but with the .22 it's difficult to get a constant enough group to even use it for training. Some ammo is better than others but I am at the stage of considering asking a pro or someone experienced with .22s to shoot it and tell me if there is actually something wrong with the rifle.

The actual build quality and ease of use of the rifle is fantastic but yeah.

Have you tried the CCI Standard or the 40gn Win Power Point subs? they shoot fine in the daughters.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Clarky75 » 24 Aug 2014, 6:20 pm

As mentioned above try the cci annoying I use the mini mag but standard are great too. In my marlin I find the cci the most accurate stay away from the bulk packs they don't shoot well in my rifle but in saying that each gun is different. As advice above stick with winchester power points or cci. More expensive but like most things in life you get what you pay for. What ammo have you been using?
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by petemacsydney » 24 Aug 2014, 6:49 pm

spend a little more, get a CZ. you wont regret it ;-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Clarky75 » 24 Aug 2014, 8:04 pm

Or yeah get a cz 452 but as stated more expensive but the cz are extremely nice
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 25 Aug 2014, 3:44 pm

Clarky75 wrote:I brought my first 22 just recently I went with the Marlin XT 22 perfect for plinking at the range or for small vermin it's a great priced gun, very accurate too. I am very happy with mine.

+1 for this.

Another happy Marlin owner here.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by AussieTimmeh » 26 Aug 2014, 8:00 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Have you tried the CCI Standard or the 40gn Win Power Point subs? they shoot fine in the daughters.

No, it seems like my LGS is always out of CCI. I'll give it a go, thanks.
Savage Model 10 BAT/S .308, Savage Mk II .22LR, RBD Omni-Break 500 Nitro Express
AussieTimmeh
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 26 Aug 2014, 9:41 am

I held both the Marlin XT-22 and Savage MKII, I preferred the Savage when it was in my hand.

I highly suggest going to your local gun shop and seeing what feels best to you.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Jessie » 26 Aug 2014, 4:05 pm

FuzzyM wrote:I highly suggest going to your local gun shop and seeing what feels best to you.

Agree, get a hands on feel.

Some rifles are fine in themselves but don't agree with the shooter.

If you don't like the feel of it or it's uncomfortable for you, you won't shoot at your best.
Jessie
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Feb 2015, 1:57 am

I remember buying my first .22, it was 40 years ago. My dad had a Winchester Model 61 pump action rifle that my brothers and I had been trained on. I wanted a Winchester like dad's but they were long out of production, so I picked up a Browning BPR-22. I've never regretted that choice.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Juganort » 12 Feb 2015, 3:53 am

Consider the Ruger American Rimfire which can also be had fairly cheaply. I used to have a Savage MKII but wasn't overly happy with it so traded it for a Ruger, now I've got a 2nd one on the way. Here'a a couple of reviews I found useful

http://www.buyusedguns.com.au/blog/ruge ... ew--6.html

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uciAJMiMxUQ
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
Juganort
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Norton » 13 Feb 2015, 8:49 am

petemacsydney wrote:spend a little more, get a CZ. you wont regret it ;-)

Another CZ voter here.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 14 Feb 2015, 3:41 am

My first 22 was a Browning BPR-22, pump action bought it about 40 years ago, pretty accurate and fun to shoot. Out of production. Marlin 39A, lever-action, I've had it 15 years and I added Williams brand rear aperture sight, quite accurate but trigger could be better. About 10 years ago I bought a Steven's Favorite falling block, third or fourth incarnation of the Favorite, now out of production. Heavy trigger, crude buckhorn sights, but is more than accurate enough for casual plinking. Marlin Model 60 came into my life about 5 years ago. Synthetic stocked, blued action and barrel and it came with a no-name china made 4x scoped, which has been replaced. Dirt cheap under $150USD, damn accurate, a Marlin Model 60 out of the box will out shoot a Ruger 10/22 out of the box any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The trigger improves with use. Final 22 on the often shot list is a CZ 455 Sporter, with an "American Stock". Very accurate, I do hope to get an aftermarket, Timney Trigger someday. I also have a single shot 22 marked "H. Pieper" that is of unknown age, but suspected of being late 1800s or early 1900s make, I've only shot shorts through it. And I have a Savage 22 autoloader that I inherited from my grandfather, it needs a trip to a gunsmith to have a few ills addressed.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by greenonion » 15 Feb 2015, 7:35 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Have you tried the CCI Standard or the 40gn Win Power Point subs? they shoot fine in the daughters.

Photos busted Scott?
greenonion
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles