.17 HMR reviews

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

.17 HMR reviews

Post by Westy » 15 Sep 2014, 9:03 pm

I'm wondering who's shooting a .17HMR and what can and can't it do??? Don't let you imaginations get away with yourselves now please :roll: :? :roll:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: .17 HMR reviews

Post by Bennybigbores » 15 Sep 2014, 10:32 pm

I am westy and I can say it is the most deadly accurate rifle out to 100m Ive shot, I've got savage stainless varmint laminate thumb hole stock, topped off with a redfield 3-9x50, first day sighting fire a three shot group at 60m got my big konus 24x mag scope on it and was pissed only one of the three hit the paper.........

Under further investigation all three in same hole give or take a couple of mil. Has performed flawlessly for me using federal 17gr ballistic tips, avoid Winchester at all cost if same rifle as mine, had split, necks stuck cases, miss fires and bullshite groups, went back to federal 10mm groups at 50m and close enough to that again at 100m. Anything past 160m getting into hold over and little punch, but flat shooting to 120 I zero at 100, 1/4 inch high at 50m smack on at 100m and 1/4 low at 120m.

Does bunnies, cats, foxes with ease, I've also culled a lot of roos head shot only but you know your gunna do it it anyway out to 100m with accuracy to spare, also believe it or not dropped a nice fallow buck that ever so unluckily wondered over a rabbit burrow I was sniping out, but of the skull dead centre at 60m like flicking the off switch. So yes I rate the 17hmr highly also have awesome footage of it in action on rabbits, via an adaptor I made to mount my iphone on my scope effectively doubles my zoom aswell.

If you don't have one get one you wont regret it I've had plenty is .22s and .22mags and theres no comparison :D
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 16 Sep 2014, 6:54 am

Thanks Benny :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Fallow Buck what will the ethical brigade say about this one!!!!! :lol: :) :lol: I say roll on and nice work Benny
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bennybigbores » 16 Sep 2014, 8:13 am

Yeh leaving myself open there, not like I hunted deer on purpose, just situation arose and I knew it could do it and it did. Like I said before rate it my favourite rifle rate/love same same,wife calls it our third child gets more compliments than she does
Howa axiom varmint .243
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 16 Sep 2014, 11:17 am

Westy wrote:I'm wondering who's shooting a .17HMR and what can and can't it do??? Don't let you imaginations get away with yourselves now please :roll: :? :roll:

I had a .17HMR CZ 452 Varmint and my mate bought it's twin for his Son at the same time. He still has his but I sold mine due to lack of use.

Accuracy was great to 100m with the correct ammo, like a .22LR each seemed to prefer it's own type. See target photo, grid lines are 1", 5 shot group at 100m BUT go past that with any breeze and things start to wander around. The tiny light bullets just don't like a breeze yet alone a wind blowing. There also always seemed to be one shot that was a flyer out of five and it was a lot worse with some different types. I was using Federal V-Shok.

tn_Picture 007.jpg
tn_Picture 007.jpg (62.34 KiB) Viewed 11852 times

I sold mine as I found my CZ 527 .22Hornet more accurate with much longer legs using 30gr Bullets even with a bit of wind. Also, not much difference in generated noise.

Ammo in my view is the .17HMR's downfall. CCI make most of the ammo for other brands like Remington, Federal, Hornady and a couple of others. Winchester is one that make there own. The problems with the ammo was and I believe still is a fault in manufacturing with split necks and worse split shoulders which allow moisture contamination of the powder inside. The warning still applies, check every cartridge for splits before loading or you risk a misfire lodging a bullet part way down the barrel, worse still if you don't pick it up and fire another round.

If I'm going somewhere to varmint at around 100m I'll take my Brno Model 2 .22LR or if it's further and Fox is on the menu I'll take the .22Hornet. The .17HMR wasn't in my view all that cheap to run and the ammo from box to box, perhaps batch differences wasn't consistant enough for my liking.

My view only, I won't be buying another .17HMR.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 16 Sep 2014, 11:59 am

Thanx Apollo still like the 22 hornet just had a hankering for something different and threw this out there :roll: ;) :roll:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 16 Sep 2014, 12:02 pm

Westy wrote:I'm wondering who's shooting a .17HMR and what can and can't it do??? Don't let you imaginations get away with yourselves now please :roll: :? :roll:

I am still using mine to the rate of about 100 shots a month, still a tack driver. Cats, rabbits and small wallaby out to 120 ish easily, 150 is a stretch for consistancy.

We don't have foxes.

I used to have a hornet but the small amount saved on ammo wasn't worth the time it took to reload and the .17HMR is a far more accurate round, it fills the gap between .22LR and .223 for me. In the future I may try some of the .22 magnum loads that are now out, they are supposed to be pretty good.

I am supplied ammo but the convenience of not chasing cases, wasting time reloading and being able to have a large stock sitting there ready to go is worth the 10 or 15 cents a shot extra compared to reloading a hornet.

I thought you were buying a hornet?
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 16 Sep 2014, 2:56 pm

Warrigul wrote:

I am still using mine to the rate of about 100 shots a month, still a tack driver. Cats, rabbits and small wallaby out to 120 ish easily, 150 is a stretch for consistancy.

We don't have foxes.

I used to have a hornet but the small amount saved on ammo wasn't worth the time it took to reload and the .17HMR is a far more accurate round, it fills the gap between .22LR and .223 for me. In the future I may try some of the .22 magnum loads that are now out, they are supposed to be pretty good.

I am supplied ammo but the convenience of not chasing cases, wasting time reloading and being able to have a large stock sitting there ready to go is worth the 10 or 15 cents a shot extra compared to reloading a hornet.

I have a Hornet can't I have a HMR as well??? :o ;) :shock:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Supporter » 16 Sep 2014, 3:07 pm

Westy wrote:I have a Hornet can't I have a HMR as well??? :o ;) :shock:

Depends what kind of mood QLD weapons licensing is in when they open your PTA? :lol:
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 16 Sep 2014, 3:20 pm

Supporter wrote:
Westy wrote:I have a Hornet can't I have a HMR as well??? :o ;) :shock:

Depends what kind of mood QLD weapons licensing is in when they open your PTA? :lol:

It's not WA over this side of the world. We don't have the same silly rules.

I'm sure "Westy" will enjoy his .17HMR if he buys one and look forward to hearing his views afterwards.

If I had "free ammo" it would put a different light on things, if there were so many critters to shoot and I missed one then I wouldn't care but I have my vermin pretty much under control and it's pretty hard to find even a Rabbit fit enough to eat yet alone being in big numbers so every shot counts.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 16 Sep 2014, 4:11 pm

Westy wrote:

I have a Hornet can't I have a HMR as well??? :o ;) :shock:[/quote]

Of course you may, far be it for me to even consider telling what you can or can't have especially when I regularly have to cull my own safes to keep the numbers down.

Simply in my case there is no use for a hornet anymore if there were a need I would download the .223 for a more accurate slightly faster round similar to the K hornet(I still believe the K hornet is what the hornet should have been).
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 16 Sep 2014, 7:40 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I'm hearing you loud and clear on the culling of the safe!!!!

and Supporter me and the guys at QWL are on first name basis :lol: :D :P
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by scrolllock » 17 Sep 2014, 3:15 pm

Apollo wrote:It's not WA over this side of the world. We don't have the same silly rules.

In Victoria we have these things called "computers" and "the internet". They let us send off permits and get answers within hours sometimes :lol:

Soz WA guys :P
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bennybigbores » 25 Sep 2014, 1:43 pm

I'm almost certain anyone that has a 17 hmr would like it, every person I know locally that has one loves it, me and three other mates all have savages in various configurations from stainless varmint blue varmint blued sporter all shoot 5 cent coin at 100m all day everyday. Certain death to any varmints within 120m
Howa axiom varmint .243
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hucka » 25 Sep 2014, 4:08 pm

They just don't like the ammo cost. That's the constant complaint.
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 25 Sep 2014, 5:12 pm

Westy wrote:Thanks Benny :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Fallow Buck what will the ethical brigade say about this one!!!!! :lol: :) :lol: I say roll on and nice work Benny

We all know pretty much anything from a .22 up will kill anything. It's all about putting it in the right place with enough force. I'd trust some blokes to do it, others not so much. From memory more deer are poached in the states with a .22 than anything else. Not saying it should be done though.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by scrolllock » 26 Sep 2014, 11:08 am

Bennybigbores wrote:If you don't have one get one you wont regret it I've had plenty is .22s and .22mags and theres no comparison :D

The problem is where you can shoot it.

There is a .22LR range 10 minutes from my joint. The only place to shoot anything more powerful is over an hour away. That's pretty much the case for anyone living in East / SE Melb if you want to shoot at a range.

:(
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles