New Hornet rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Re: New Hornet rifle

Post by bigrich » 10 Nov 2017, 7:33 am

any opinions on rear locking bolt hornets to front locking ones ? any opinions on scope choice for walking/stalking versus varmiting/sniping ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GCol » 20 Apr 2018, 9:42 pm

I have a 1992 vintage CZ 527 and have to say with the mini mauser action makes a great rifle. I had to play with the magazine to increase the available length to shoot the Hornandy 40gn v max seated out to the lands but worth the messing around. The Hornet is good for at least 175 m on foxes. I am able to load above the ADI load data with AR 2205 with no issue and good accuracy.
GCol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2018, 11:36 am

Fossil Thread.jpeg
Fossil Thread.jpeg (39.73 KiB) Viewed 5420 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 21 Apr 2018, 2:27 pm

Whadya sayin OB ? Hornets are fossils ? Going out to get some wabbits with me fossil this afternoon
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GCol » 21 Apr 2018, 5:58 pm

Hi Bigrich
Giving that the Hornet is a centrefire(yes a small one) that makes me want to use a front locking action. I know that there are some fine rifles made on rimfire actions but they will always have issues with the longer higher pressure Hornet cartridge. Also you can load them up higher for more velocity with a good front locking centrefire action.
I have had my Brno/CZ 527 for around 20 years and in some ways oldbloke is correct in saying it is a fossil but still fills a niche between the 22 magnum and 222/223 very well which I guess is why it is still around. To get the best out off it you need to hand load it as for some reason the projectiles that are factory loaded are round nose and at modest velocities(maybe because of the weaker action it has been chambered in). I have found the 40gn V max very good even at Hornet velocities and may try the 35 gn version one day. Even though I have just picked up a Tikka T3x lite in 223 I would not get rid of my Hornet.
GCol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 21 Apr 2018, 6:17 pm

Wait, wasn’t OB referring to the thread? :P
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2018, 6:36 pm

bigrich wrote:Whadya sayin OB ? Hornets are fossils ? Going out to get some wabbits with me fossil this afternoon

Nope. Hornets are great. Look how old the thread is.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 21 Apr 2018, 6:38 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bigrich wrote:Whadya sayin OB ? Hornets are fossils ? Going out to get some wabbits with me fossil this afternoon

Nope. Hornets are great. Look how old the thread is.

:lol:
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2018, 6:48 pm

FMD :crazy:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2018, 6:56 pm

Hornets are great. Has anyone got a load in case I need one sometime in the future?

Just in case.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 23 Apr 2018, 6:57 pm

sorry OB, didn't realize you were refering to the thread. didn't get on to any wabbits, saw one, and a dead fox. i think someone's bin out there and cleaned them out. had to be content to going up to the ridgeline scrub and blasting some goats with me 6.5x55. yeh i know it's overkill, but don't want to be undergunned if i spot a deer or a pig. the goats were hard to find as well. i think their under preasure from hunting and funneling. on the hornet subject, hornady 35gr v-max shoot 30mm-20 mm in my krico. PPU is good value for money and resonably accurate, but fouls the bore quick. good brass i'm told. rem hollow points are next down my list, rem soft points shot crap. sadly chinwester ammo i've tried shoots the worst. common thing with ALL win ammo i've tried in all my rifles
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 23 Apr 2018, 9:11 pm

The 22 Hornet is a sweet little round, I have a Sako M78 and a Ruger No3 chamber in it. Like you said it is reloadable, a little tricky because of the thin case walla and the tapered case, 40-45 grain bullets work best in the Sako.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

PreviousNext

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles