Zastava 22 WMR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Zastava 22 WMR

Post by Mark.A » 10 Dec 2014, 1:58 pm

Tale of Woe here...

I lent my 22WMR to My father, who is on a farm, near the NSW/QLD Border, he uses his .22 Air Rifle to keep the local bird population down, and the odd Rabit, but of late, the deer and other ferals are causing him hassles, he has been shooting up box's of ammo, and treating and ... badly... (well for me, anything other than shooting 20 rounds and then a nice clean, is badly) and there are some accruacy concerns now.

With the bipod, and on the range, I can get a nice grouping at 50m (I haven't tried 100 as I am not all that accurate with drops etc yet judging wind, and frankly, I cant shoot something that is moving, so 50m is a good distance currently), I was on the farm two weeks ago, and they .. um left it on the back of the farm ute, and it fell off.. I was .. unimpressed.. So took it inside, checked it cleaned it, and it *seemed* okay..

Took it out the little range I have and shot some groups, it was okay, bit of wind so every 4-5 round would be 1-2 inches away from the group.. I could live with that.. when it wasnt blowing, they where stacking very nice...

Now here is the problem, shot another group, and the group went to about 3 inches... shot another 5, and it went to a nice 1-2 inch group, shot another 5 went to 4-5-6 inches.. and then it started to shoot all over the place..

I must admit, we have only put 200-250 rounds through it, Winchester (as the remingtons when I shot them, where going ALL over the place) 45 Grain... Apparently the old man now has some ballistic tip rounds.. which I havent seen (and I did tell him that he would need to resight it, as its a different round, and its going to perform differently, does he listen.. nope)

So the question is .. besides being dropped (on its side not on the muzzle), is there anything that I could check or do, to perhaps help with accuracy... As the deer just tend to laugh at us when we come out... its disturbing..

Mark
And thats the way it is..

Proud owner of

Zastava .17HMR .22 .22WMR .223
Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

and other odds and bobs..
Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Zastava 22 WMR

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2014, 2:34 pm

Sounds a bit like a scope issue, but I'd remove the scope (if needed, depends on the type of bases) and check the bases are still on tight then remount the scope and then check the barrel to ensure its not touching the fore end anywhere (I assume they are free floated) not sure you will have to suss that out first, check the action screws to ensure they are done up tight. Test it again and if still no good I' would say the scope has issues.

You could wind the scope fully left (count the clicks) then wind it back to your original zero shoot a group and see how it reacts to that, maybe somethings gotten knocked inside and needs a bit of movement to get it sitting back in one of the detents or something?

I also assume you are using the same ammo that you were using that shot ok? If not that could be part of it, but still wouldn't explain the wide variation in groups (I'll put money on something being lose myself) :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mark.A » 10 Dec 2014, 2:52 pm

I had that feeling about the scope, its only but a cheapy, I have another one mounted on the .17, may swap them over, and hit the person in the head .. with the broken scope, if it turns out to be a broken scope... (I mean... honestly..)

I did check to make sure the scope was straight, and secure, with a wiggle test, But you are right, I might disassemble and just tighten everything, give it a try, then swap out the scope, and go from there..

It feels like something is loose in my limited experience, because you can get the thing shooting very very well, then all of a sudden there are just ungrouped flyers, and then its grouping somewhere else... its quite odd..

Will have a .. experiment (I've been told by discerning critics that I should say 'play' in the same sentance as rifle talk.. its a good point) this weekend...

Mark

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2014, 2:59 pm

Yeah mate give everything a check over for tightness then swap the scope and I woudn't be surprised at all if it is cactus, it doesn't take much to stuff em unfortunately.

What brand is it by the way?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mark.A » 10 Dec 2014, 3:28 pm

When I got the .17 and .22WMR they where having a great sale on BSA Air Rifle Scopes, So that is what is on there. Its fine for what I want, as I dont bang stuff around, but farm life...

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Dec 2014, 3:39 pm

What sort of warranty does it have? might be able to send it back :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mark.A » 10 Dec 2014, 4:20 pm

Who knows never asked, will have a bit more of a play :)

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Arth » 12 Dec 2014, 8:14 am

Mark.A wrote:I haven't tried 100 as I am not all that accurate with drops etc

The guys have a target for that...

Go to the shooting targets page and about halfway down there is a 'rimfire rise/drop target'

Has a column for 25, 50, 75 and 100. Aim for the dot each time and learn where it lands at those distances :)
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 12 Dec 2014, 8:37 am

bigfellascott wrote:I'd remove the scope (if needed, depends on the type of bases) and check the bases are still on tight then remount the scope and then check the barrel to ensure its not touching the fore end anywhere (I assume they are free floated) not sure you will have to suss that out first, check the action screws to ensure they are done up tight. Test it again and if still no good I' would say the scope has issues.

+1.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mark.A » 15 Dec 2014, 3:25 pm

Just an update on this, the .22wmr lives on the farm, I was going to bring it back with me, but just didnt get a chance, I took back some other rifles that have been sitting down there for a while,... BUT...

I took the trigger guard off, and noted straight away that the front and rear screws that held the action to the stock, where both 'loose', that was, they took Zero effort to get undone.. and came out very easy.. so I am guessing this is the problem, I ran out of time, and had someone with me that JUST HAD to get back home.. so Its all back in the safe wrapped up, Will get a torque wrench and get some hex bits and find out what they should be torqued down to ...

Just thought I would update this...

Proud owner of

Tikka T3 .308 .243
Marlin 30-30
Cz 30-06Spr
Enflied 303/303-25
Savage 22H
Haenel 300WM

Mark.A
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by keen » 30 Dec 2014, 11:31 am

Loose action screws is definitely a problem.
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by keen » 30 Dec 2014, 11:31 am

And did you get around to trying the .17 scope on it yet?
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Kelix » 30 Dec 2014, 11:33 am

Mark.A wrote:I took the trigger guard off, and noted straight away that the front and rear screws that held the action to the stock, where both 'loose', that was, they took Zero effort to get undone.. and came out very easy.. so I am guessing this is the problem

It could easily be.

Sort that out and re-test. Failing that the other scope if you haven't tried it already.

Your problem will lie with one of those two for sure.
Kelix
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Mich » 08 Jan 2015, 1:22 pm

Years ago I was given (due to someone just wanted to be rid of it) a 22 which had been a project gun for them which turned out to have similar accuracy issues.

After putting it apart to clean it I found they had attempted to pillar bed it themselves with the wrong size pillar at the front creating movement in the action.

Drilled this out, replaced with the correct size and re-bedded it to fill in the voids of their patchy job and it tightened right up.

It's sounding similar so hopefully this is your issue.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles