Not cleaning, but still oiling a .22

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Not cleaning, but still oiling a .22

Post by sally-bee » 05 Jan 2015, 1:46 pm

Hi guys,

For those with .22 who don't clean the barrels, do you literally not to a thing to them after shooting?

Or you don't clean it, but still oil to protect?

Thanks.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Not cleaning, but still oiling a .22

Post by cavok » 05 Jan 2015, 2:54 pm

Anyone who does not clean a rifle, barrel and all after using it, firing, taking it for a walk has no idea how to look after a firearm. Not saying it will fall apart, but it deserves a good clean, especially the barrel, almost the same as having a shower after a hard days work. Hope I'm not in the minority, so lets see what the forum posts.
“When all about you have lost their heads and you remain calm, perhaps you do not understand the problem”.
Per ardua ad astra.
cavok
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 05 Jan 2015, 7:33 pm

i give my .22 a yearly clean even if it doesn't need it :D the wax from the ammo will coat the barrel and a .22 shoots better dirty than clean, most rifles do :shock: that's why they shoot foulers :o if you do clean your .22 you may have to put as many as ten through it to get it to shoot straight again :( . when i was trying out different types of ammo for my .22 i would have to shoot five of the new type of ammo to be able to get it to group :o i took it that it needed that many shots to change over the wax in the barrel :shock: but i maybe wrong :lol: i only use my .22 for hunting and it gets used about once a fortnight , if i wasn't using it for a couple of months i would give it a clean and oil. i always clean and oil my centerfires every time. :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Westy » 05 Jan 2015, 8:10 pm

I have a older Brother who has a handle on this and he said those who tell others that not cleaning their .22 rimfires after use are plain ignorant or something like that???
But he currently hold a few Australian records in Rimfire B.R. so I think his crew might know a little about this. Hence I clean mine religiously after use!!!Does this mean me and Cavok agree at last????

Just putting it out there!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 05 Jan 2015, 9:30 pm

Bench.Rest. mmmm don't they have foulers ? :P i only use mine for hunting. moa of bunny head is good enough for me, plus im no way good enough to put tiny holes in things from far away :oops: im glad that you and cavok are :friends: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by sally-bee » 06 Jan 2015, 9:18 am

Hi guys,

Sorry I think I might have given everyone a bum steer here.

I am asking about .22 rimfire with waxed ammo? It is wax I think?

Not .22 centrefire rifles.
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 06 Jan 2015, 9:35 am

Westy wrote:But he currently hold a few Australian records in Rimfire B.R. so I think his crew might know a little about this. Hence I clean mine religiously after use!!!Does this mean me and Cavok agree at last????

I clean mine.

After significant testing I can say the most accurate groups out of my heavy barrel Anschütz have been the first cold bore group of each range visit.

I match or get close to them with a dirty barrel during the rest of the shoot, but the first group is consistently good, if not the most accurate.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tiiger » 06 Jan 2015, 9:49 am

If you're shooting wax ammo and not cleaning it, adding oil is just going over the wax which doesn't accomplish anything IMO.

Just talking about the bore here, you'd still clean the rest of the rifle.
Tiiger
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Korkt » 06 Jan 2015, 9:51 am

sally-bee wrote:I am asking about .22 rimfire with waxed ammo? It is wax I think?

Depends.

Waxed lead ammo is common, probably the most common. As you've read and others have said, most don't clean as they just let the wax stay there for consistent shooting and to seal the barrel for protection.

There is also copper plated rimfire ammo. This will leave copper fouling on your rifling and needs to be cleaned.
Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GPostal » 06 Jan 2015, 6:23 pm

Ive found that people shooting weekly generally brush out with a nylon brush and do nothing else unless
they have found a cleaning, mopping and oiling routine that facilitates better accuracy.
Some shooters wipe off a lot of the excess "waxy" coating found on a lot of rounds (rounds like cci, dripping on goo they be ) prior to loading.
Any long term storage one should oil and protect the barrel.
All my .22's have different run in times when fully cleaned / oiled / stored but all settle back to their generic accuracy within 20 rounds and 10 rounds when swapping ammo.
Some .22's--Lots of 303 Lithgows--Tactical Mosin--7mm and an 8mm--Underover--Farmers Shottie--Angel and Omark
GPostal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 06 Jan 2015, 6:59 pm

Westy wrote:I have a older Brother who has a handle on this and he said those who tell others that not cleaning their .22 rimfires after use are plain ignorant or something like that???
But he currently hold a few Australian records in Rimfire B.R. so I think his crew might know a little about this. Hence I clean mine religiously after use!!!Does this mean me and Cavok agree at last????

Just putting it out there!!!!

Westy needs a hobby :sarcasm: :clap: :unknown: :thumbsup:

Cleaning a 22rimfire???? wtf is the world coming to. I think I once cleaned mine; I bought some new jag and wanted to give it a run....what ever floats your boat. If you do oil it, make sure you patch out before use, including bone dry chamber, particularly for a centrefire before use....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 07 Jan 2015, 11:59 am

GPostal wrote:Ive found that people shooting weekly generally brush out with a nylon brush and do nothing else unless
they have found a cleaning, mopping and oiling routine that facilitates better accuracy.

Should add to my comment above.

My regular clean after shooting my .22lr is a scrub with a nylon brush and cleaner, followed by an oiled patch. Should have maybe said a 'light clean' above.

Not the full clean you'd follow with a CF rifle.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles