Buying a new 22lr

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Buying a new 22lr

Post by Jarv » 11 Mar 2015, 8:51 pm

Hi all, looking at buying a new 22lr. Was looking at the Browning T-Bolt, but after doing my research I heard some good but a lot of bad reports. So I've started looking at the Cz 455. It's hard to find any bad reports, but not many people have spoken about changing the barrels over and do the still retain accuracy. I've been told u just sight them in on each barrel and take notes in what the where settings where on the scope so u can change the barrels back and don't have to sight in again. Thoughts please.
Jarv
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Buying a new 22lr

Post by Sav » 11 Mar 2015, 9:19 pm

2 of my local LGS said don't get the 455 and get the 452 you cant change the barrels but apparently its heaps better.

I believe its to do with the action screw there is only 1 on the 455 and it puts a lot of strain on it. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Sav
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 11 Mar 2015, 10:22 pm

there's 2 screws on the 455.

it's still to flimsy for me there's a reason Ruger left the old barrel block

brllckupsyscz455.gif
brllckupsyscz455.gif (37.02 KiB) Viewed 4779 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2015, 7:46 am

I have a Browning T-bolt target/varmint in left hand and have got it shooting very well. My best groups have been sub MOA @ 50m but average would be about 2/3-3/4" @ 50m. It's a comfortable fit, points really well, is light, fast & easy to cycle and quite a neat, pretty little rifle. My only gripe is that the trigger is on the heavy side, even adjusted down, but it does break clean and crisp. I will at some stage get a good smith to lighten it up for me so it matches the pull weight on my other rifle/s.

I was looking at the CZ455 as well but the T-bolt just felt better and handled more naturally for me. If you want a 452, get in quick, this is the last year of production!

If i was buying again for a budget target option, i'd go the CZ. Easier to bed and tune the trigger. Extra weight and bulk no issue. Could easily double for hunting rifle. If i was going again for a hunting rifle, i'd buy another T-bolt in a flash. Although, i'd be looking at LA Crossover 101 as a two way option as well; only handled and cycled on, not shot it, but very comfy fit and smooth rifle for my money!

Cheers

PS: I hate people who say stuff like this all the time, but if you really want a switch barrel rimfire, save another $300 odd bucks and get a Sako Quad!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by CustomPC » 12 Mar 2015, 10:02 am

The Lithgow Crossover is a great .22 and is well worth a consideration.

Plus, you're buying Australian made and supporting local jobs.
CustomPC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 12 Mar 2015, 10:22 am

Jarv wrote:Hi all, looking at buying a new 22lr. Was looking at the Browning T-Bolt, but after doing my research I heard some good but a lot of bad reports. So I've started looking at the Cz 455. It's hard to find any bad reports, but not many people have spoken about changing the barrels over and do the still retain accuracy. I've been told u just sight them in on each barrel and take notes in what the where settings where on the scope so u can change the barrels back and don't have to sight in again. Thoughts please.

You know, if you want a .17HMR and a .22LR then there is always the option of buying both in Savage for around $1000 for the pair.

Works for me, I can't be stuffed switching barrels. Grab the appropriate rifle and go.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by North East » 12 Mar 2015, 10:23 am

I recently brought my first .22....a Browning BL-22 lever action. Despite owning .30 cals for over 30 years this was the first .22. Cost $1000.00 and it's a laugh a minute to shoot. Holds 15 rounds and you can cycle it as quick as a semi auto. I didn't bother putting a scope on it preferring to go with open sights. Good cheap fun.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 12 Mar 2015, 12:22 pm

I've got a CZ455 (American), very nice rifle. Good ammo and calm day it is minute of angle capable, at least at 50 yards. Mine is 22 LR only, no interest in 17 HMR or 22 WRM, I've a 22 Hornet if I need more than 22LR. My only gripe is the trigger could be better, but I read that you all in Australia have a drop in trigger replacement available.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Grated » 12 Mar 2015, 3:25 pm

Jarv wrote:Hi all, looking at buying a new 22lr. Was looking at the Browning T-Bolt, but after doing my research I heard some good but a lot of bad reports.

I've read the hit/miss reports of the T-Bolt are down to them being made in 2 different factories.

Some made in the US, some in Japan. (I think some in Portugal as well?)

Anyway... I believe the story is they were originally made in the US, the new ones are made in Japan and there were changes to the magazine and stock and a few bits.

But they're both still a T-Bolt. Dunno if you're getting an old or new when you order.
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 12 Mar 2015, 4:12 pm

Grated wrote:I've read the hit/miss reports of the T-Bolt are down to them being made in 2 different factories.

Some made in the US, some in Japan. (I think some in Portugal as well?)

Anyway... I believe the story is they were originally made in the US, the new ones are made in Japan and there were changes to the magazine and stock and a few bits.

But they're both still a T-Bolt. Dunno if you're getting an old or new when you order.

Bought mine a year ago and it is made in Japan. Quality fit and finish.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by subatom » 13 Mar 2015, 1:42 pm

I read this somewhere.... I think the triggers are different colours made in the different factories?

Gold trigger was the better one, made in Japan?
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 13 Mar 2015, 2:16 pm

subatom wrote:I read this somewhere.... I think the triggers are different colours made in the different factories?

Gold trigger was the better one, made in Japan?

Dunno. Mine is a 'gold' trigger. Every one i've seen is a 'gold' trigger.

It's the only disappointing thing about the rifle. I really wish there was an aftermarket upgrade. Even a DIY install kit with the right spring and a replacement trigger (it is plastic). In fact, if i had the skills, i'd design, manufacture and market an upgrade. Probably wouldn't make me rich, but would make a lot of T-bolt owners very very happy.

Still a great little rifle, just want my trigger to snap cleanly at 2lb. like my 223. Consistent triggers across my guns would make shifting from one to the other much easier and more accurate with both. If it was my only rifle or the one i used the most it wouldn't be an issue, but as i use both rifle quite a bit, there is always the adjustment period. I pull the 223 to hard and on the other hand sit there wondering why the 22lr hasn't gone off yet. Not the hugest issue, i know, but it doesn't make for developing a consistent trigger technique.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Warrigul » 14 Mar 2015, 9:47 am

To the OP ya know what, I used to think the T bolts were top rifles but in reality in my humble opinion they are at best average.

The triggers are tied into the bolt release so you can't go too low a sear engagement otherwise the bolt keeps flying over your shoulder into the scrub somewhere, the magazines are made of unobtainium and they are only so so in the accuracy department unless you use premium ammo.

I used an ishmash straight pull a couple of weeks ago and it shat all over the two brownings I have used in the past. But I have only tried ONE ishmash so far so it may be a freak.

Just my humble opinions.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Mar 2015, 1:50 pm

Unfortunately i cant speak for other brands, but i can say that after almost 20 years of service , countless rounds and a trigger job i am still very happy with my cz 452.

If i were in the market for a new one I'd look for something with a nice trigger, scope dedicated and a threaded barrel just in case suspressors become available again.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by BRNOmod2 » 14 Mar 2015, 2:23 pm

My opinion would be to get a CZ452 (while you can - they are now being phased out) it will last you a lifetime. Being simply a modern rendition of the old BRNO Mod 2 they have very good history of being reliable, accurate and lasting! My fathers 1957 vintage (brought from new) is still superb and my 1971 mod is the same.
BRNOmod2
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by subatom » 15 Mar 2015, 7:53 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:If i were in the market for a new one I'd look for something with a nice trigger, scope dedicated and a threaded barrel just in case suspressors become available again.

Fingers crossed for that day.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 15 Mar 2015, 8:35 pm

Just to put it out there, how about a Henry Classic 22LR lever action? Bought one of these as a package for my son, came with bag, scope, rings and a set of noise cancelling headphones for $695 Spent this morning out St Marys getting it sighted and found it surprisingly accurate, smooth as silk action, holds 15 rounds and has a nice firm but crisp trigger. My son's a lefty so options are limited when on a budget and being a lever action either one of use can shoot it.

http://www.henryrifles.com/rifles/lever-action-22-rifle/
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by feedr » 16 Mar 2015, 8:18 am

subatom wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:If i were in the market for a new one I'd look for something with a nice trigger, scope dedicated and a threaded barrel just in case suspressors become available again.

Fingers crossed for that day.

In SA?

Good luck I think :lol:

Remember this? Coke bottles now prohibited in SA
Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in .308 Winchester.
feedr
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles