Scope for 22LR

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Scope for 22LR

Post by basil brush » 08 May 2015, 9:31 am

I am currently looking at a second heand 22.
It has a Redfield scope on it.
Are these scopes any good?
I think they are made by Leuopold or some other well known brand.

Thanks
Huntin fishin missin
basil brush
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Scope for 22LR

Post by chrispy88 » 08 May 2015, 3:09 pm

Yeah made by Leupold mate.

I haven't used one so can't give an opinion though. Have heard mixed reports but seem to be ok for the sort of dollars you pay for them.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 08 May 2015, 9:28 pm

If it is the Redfield Revolution they are a very nice scope. They are nice clear images and have 1/4MOA adjustments.

I have Leupold VX2's on my C/F rifles and on the 22LR I have a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40. Perfect fit.

I have a spare one if anyone wants to buy it, brand new. If I don't sell it or give it to my brother it will eventually end up on something one day.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CustomPC » 08 May 2015, 9:35 pm

Redfield is owned by Leupold

Of the current models, the Redfield Revolution range are made in the USA and are very good..

The other models such as the Revenge and Battlezone series are not made in the USA but are reasonable quality for the money.
CustomPC
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 May 2015, 10:13 pm

Yep got a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 on the wifes Ruger and its fine, happy to use it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Boatman » 11 May 2015, 10:43 am

Hi Basil,

Good value, quality scope IMO too.

That or a Leupold, you can't go wrong.
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Skadoo » 12 May 2015, 4:07 pm

Thumbs up for a redfield?

Easy enough for a .22 :thumbsup:
Skadoo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Prios » 20 May 2015, 11:28 am

Skadoo wrote:Easy enough for a .22 :thumbsup:

Yeah plenty.
Browning T-Bolt 17HMR + Leupold VX-1 4-12x40
Browning X Bolt Hunter 30-06 Springfield + Leupold VX-1 3-9x40
Prios
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2015, 11:51 am

Just bought a Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 for $200 (2nd hand) should be fine for rolling bunnies with on the 22.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 20 May 2015, 12:21 pm

I have both the revolution and the revenge. Can't speak for others, but thesetwo have proven to be quite good. Clear, good light transmission and work right up to dark. I can't complain.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2015, 1:15 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:I have both the revolution and the revenge. Can't speak for others, but thesetwo have proven to be quite good. Clear, good light transmission and work right up to dark. I can't complain.

I think they are a perfectly adequate scope for what they are designed for (hunting at normal hunting type ranges and conditions) - haven't had a need to look for anything more expensive as yet. :thumbsup:

They have a failure rate of 7 units in 100,000 apparently so appear to be put together well and the warranty is a lifetime one so no real risk there (other than the company going bust of course) which I don't think is on the cards anytime soon (Leupolds been around for a long time now).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pawnee » 20 May 2015, 6:20 pm

Go for the Leupold 3-9x33 efr AO top stuff
CZ 452 .22lr
Leupold VX2 3-9x33 AO
Brno fox .22 Hornet
Leupold VX2 6-18x40 AO
pawnee
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2015, 6:46 pm

pawnee wrote:Go for the Leupold 3-9x33 efr AO top stuff

How do you find it under lights and in low light conditions?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by pawnee » 20 May 2015, 8:30 pm

Top stuff no problems at all
CZ 452 .22lr
Leupold VX2 3-9x33 AO
Brno fox .22 Hornet
Leupold VX2 6-18x40 AO
pawnee
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 20 May 2015, 8:34 pm

pawnee wrote:Top stuff no problems at all

Cheers mate :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by stefo » 21 May 2015, 8:50 am

i got the Bushnell AR optics 2-7 x 32
http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scope ... /2-7x-32mm
its really good
stefo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 21 May 2015, 11:00 am

Just received the Redfield in the Post, very happy with it, hopefully it will be ok under the light too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by David Brown » 21 May 2015, 4:02 pm

Anyone wanting some cheap scopes let me know, I have some that my wives father has sent to us for sale. Might have a few things coming soon.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 May 2015, 4:06 pm

David Brown wrote:Anyone wanting some cheap scopes let me know, I have some that my wives father has sent to us for sale. Might have a few things coming soon.

Let us know when you get em and what they are. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by fawksel » 22 May 2015, 11:44 am

David Brown wrote:Anyone wanting some cheap scopes let me know, I have some that my wives father has sent to us for sale. Might have a few things coming soon.

Classified section ;)
Marlin 1894 .44 Magnum
Remington 770 Stainless Camo .270 Win
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR
fawksel
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by David Brown » 22 May 2015, 9:59 pm

fawksel wrote:

Classified section ;)

no kidding…. ;)

When i get around to it.
David Brown
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 24 May 2015, 1:38 am

I have several Redfield scopes, all are good.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by sandgroperbill » 24 May 2015, 2:23 pm

One thing i should probably also mention for those that are interested.

The redfield scope isn't at all bothered by recoil. The reticle doesn't shift, even when faced by severe recoil. If a double charged 180gr .30-06 round on a 6.25lb rifle (this was a factory round from a well known and reliable manufacturer that broke my sling swivel while the sling was just hanging loose) doesn't shift the reticle or damage the scope, pretty much nothing will.
Clear glass and it works well right up to dark. They are not fancy, don't have all the bells and whistles of some, but they work and work well and are reliable. On my experiences with them, i would happily recommend them.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 24 May 2015, 2:56 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:One thing i should probably also mention for those that are interested.

The redfield scope isn't at all bothered by recoil. The reticle doesn't shift, even when faced by severe recoil. If a double charged 180gr .30-06 round on a 6.25lb rifle (this was a factory round from a well known and reliable manufacturer that broke my sling swivel while the sling was just hanging loose) doesn't shift the reticle or damage the scope, pretty much nothing will.
Clear glass and it works well right up to dark. They are not fancy, don't have all the bells and whistles of some, but they work and work well and are reliable. On my experiences with them, i would happily recommend them.

That's pretty much how I see em too mate, no bells and whistles no fuss and just work and work well for the $$$ paid for em, you can pay $1000's more but not get the corresponding performance gains for the $$$ spent.

For a set and forget type scope they work fine as do the Nikons that I also use and own. :thumbsup: I was just out testing the Redfield on a street sign at around 340m or so away and could read the name on the sign so plenty clear enough for my needs (bunnies in this case) checked it out under street lights the other night and it was fine, good as anything else I own, (Leupold, Zeiss, Nikon, Jap Tasco, Philippines Tasco, Redfield) they all work and do the jobs I bought em to do (hunting/spotlighting).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Yelp » 25 May 2015, 11:01 am

sandgroperbill wrote:If a double charged 180gr .30-06 round on a 6.25lb rifle (this was a factory round from a well known and reliable manufacturer that broke my sling swivel while the sling was just hanging loose) doesn't shift the reticle or damage the scope, pretty much nothing will.

What sort of shape was the barrel in after that? :wtf:
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 May 2015, 11:11 am

That was my first thought, too. Being .30-06, I doubt it would have been able to truly hold a full double charge, but would have been close.
After that round, i packed up, went home and checked the barrel and chamber. Fortunately, everything was fine.
The sling swivel was broken, though. Its one of those quick detach ones that comes sewn into the sling, so replaced my sling.
Its also the only time i've ever had scope eye...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 25 May 2015, 11:22 am

how did you know was a double charge?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 May 2015, 11:33 am

I'd been shooting rounds through it for a few hours. I was halfway through this particular box of ammo, lifted it to my shoulder and pulled the trigger. Trust me. I knew.
My sling was just hanging loose, it broke the swivel. The recoil also pushed the bipod into my hand, fortunately only a small cut. Wound up with a small cut just above my eye. Probably would have been worse had i not been wearing my glasses.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 25 May 2015, 11:42 am

How do you reckon they got the double charge in the case? I can't see how they could of to be honest, I wonder if it was the wrong weight projectile? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 25 May 2015, 11:48 am

sandgroperbill wrote:That was my first thought, too. Being .30-06, I doubt it would have been able to truly hold a full double charge, but would have been close.

As I said earlier, it wouldn't have fully held a double charge, but it would have been overcharged and compressed, i'd reckon, so close enough.
Definitely enough to be noticeable, I can tell you that much. After all is said and done, the only lasting damage was to the sling (and i flinched the next few times firing it, but i'm not flinching anymore. Oh, and i still have the rest of that box of ammo. Haven't trusted it enough to fire it...).
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles